Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Star/Tribune again tries to kill stadium deal!

"happy camper" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    What a bunch of BS. All of the people that are against the stadium are incredibly short-sighted. That extra 225 bucks in taxes would come back 10x over in revenue for businesses in the area meaning more jobs, more money and more opportunity which eventually means LOWER taxes. Have some vision people!
    you're right. some people are short sighted. maybe its you.

not everyone can afford to fork out the 225 bucks in one year. alot of people live paycheck to paycheck and cannot simply just give away 225 bucks and hope to get it back later.

plus, what if someone gives the 225 bucks and then moves away the next year? they never get the money back.

yes, more jobs and more opportunity sounds amazing, but not everyone can afford to pay the taxes this year.
    If they do not tax you on this, they'll just get you somewhere else.

I am not going to preach "Taxes 101" to everybody and turn this into a political thread.

If you don't know much about taxes...google it! Then speak up.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    "happy camper" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The $225 hike is a sales tax, not a property or income tax. And it is an estimate of the [b]average[b] amount a family fo five would spend. For the people who live paycheck to paycheck, this increase will be minimal because they are not spending as much money. However, everyone would benefit from the economic gains that a stadium would bring to Anoka County, even those who did not contribute very much in the form of a tax.
    ask a family of 5 if they spend alot of money.

a family of 5 living paycheck to paycheck and spends more money than a family of 2 that lives comfortably.

it takes more money for a family of 5 to live. to say, it wont impact them because they spend less is ludacris. they spend more than a family of two.

lets say a family of 2 makes 800 bucks a week. and lives comfortably.

now lets say a family of 5 makes 800 bucks a week. and lives paycheck to paycheck.

the paycheck to paycheck is spending MORE, because the cost of living is more.

your assumption paycheck to paycheck people just spend less money, is flat out wrong.

(note in the original article it said 225 was the average for a family of 5)
    Do the math, then complain.

$225 per year for a family of 5.

That works out to $45 per year per person.

So, the sales tax increase would amount to about 12 cents per day.

TWELVE FRIGGIN CENTS!!!! I lose more than that between the couch cushions every day.

You can't even get a gum ball with 12 cents. It would take two days...plus a penny...to get one.

It would take you 9 days to afford a 99 cent double cheeseburger from McDonalds from 12 cents per day (Gotta add in tax - 8 1/4 days w/o tax).

A family of 5, on average, would spend a whopping 60 cents per day more, or an impressive 4 dollars and 20 cents per week...less than a pack of cigarettes.

And, in RETURN, they get lower taxes (due to increased local revenues) and more job opportunities.

All in all, the MINOR cost outlay requested gets returned to the residents...big time. If that wasn't true, why would so many cities JUMP at the chance to lure in a major sports franchise?

The biggest flaw with your arguement is that you are basing your assumption by looking at the whole figure. That's a trick that opponents of these types of deals use. They give you the grand total, knowing that MOST people won't bother to do the math and see the real day-to-day impact. The $225 sticks in your mind, and you subconciously start deucting that from your weekly paycheck.

The company I work for (jerks) recently decided to redefine how they calculate our wages. They removed our COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) and Shift Premium from all overtime calculations. That means that for every hour of overtime I work, I get paid 50 cents LESS than I used to.

This week alone, I have already worked 9.7 hours of overtime, and have "lost" $4.85 (And it's only Wednesday)... In ONE day, I lost the equivelant of over 40 days of the increased tax. And I am by no means rich.

But, how does that loss affect my overall quality of life (I have a family of 6)? It doesn't. Will I see an increased payout at the end, or derive any form of benefit from the loss? No.

The people in the affected area would do well to vote FOR the tax increase. Put in perspective, there is an enormous upside to it...for ALL of them.

Caine
    Great breakdown, Caine!!!

AS USUAL!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Uh oh....the next post is the big one for Caine! I can't wait to see what he is brewing!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

Why do the Vikings need a new stadium?
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"ltrey33" wrote:
    What a bunch of BS. All of the people that are against the stadium are incredibly short-sighted. That extra 225 bucks in taxes would come back 10x over in revenue for businesses in the area meaning more jobs, more money and more opportunity which eventually means LOWER taxes. Have some vision people!
    i agree with you, a new stadium with wilfs real estate development would bring in a nice tax base and that along with the stadium would attract a lot more business. anoka is a smaller county compared to others in the area and the twin cities wants to move north rather than keep moving south. i don't think the city of anoka has too much say in it really because the twin cities wants to mover north and they are just going to have to go along with it. a new development with the stadium would bring in a lot of money and the population would skyrocket also and their city would make so much more money it's not funny i don't know why they have to be so stupid.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

LunchBox is offline Rookie

Still, why not let both sides present their arguements for and against and then put it to a vote? In a democracy, that seems like the most reasonable and fairest thing to do. The whole, 'this is good for you, you're just too stupid to realize it' argument doesn't fly with me. The only thing the people up there are asking for is a right to vote on the stadium issue. If it was me having to shell out the bucks for it, i'd wanna be able to at least vote to approve or disapprove the expenditure (just like i get to on the biannual enormous school board referrendum). Why practice taxation without representation? Let the people vote.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

So if they don't want to pay the extra 3/4 percent, let them shop somewhere else other than Blaine. Hey, I'll bet the tax is higher in Minnespolis where the tax increase there may support the Twins and their new stadium as well as the Metrodome.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"LunchBox" wrote:
    Why practice taxation without representation? Let the people vote.
    There is representation. In the state and county governments, where people elected by the people are paid to administer to things just like this. If we brought every tax or fiscal issue to a population wide vote, we would be voting on something every day!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jimmymac" wrote:
    :shock:
    I can't tell if you are joking or serious. Aside from the dome being too small to host a SB, horrible amenities like bathrooms and food stands, and not enough suites to support the team... If you need to really know more, google it or look on vikings.com.

Or post a new topic entitled "Why do the Vikings need a new stadium", and watch the posts role in...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jimmymac" wrote:
    :shock:
    I can't tell if you are joking or serious. Aside from the dome being too small to host a SB, horrible amenities like bathrooms and food stands, and not enough suites to support the team... If you need to really know more, google it or look on vikings.com.

Or post a new topic entitled "Why do the Vikings need a new stadium", and watch the posts role in...
    I'm quite serious. I've never been to the Metrodome, and maybe never will.

How is a new stadium going to help the Vikings win an NFL Superbowl? That is the goal. Right?
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast