Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Star/Tribune again tries to kill stadium deal!

From today's Star Tribune! (1/18/06)

The Vikings have hired heavy hitters from a California political firm to parachute into fly-over land and teach us to show respect to our millionaire sports owners.

Message: The Vikings will try to flatten any peasants who say that half a billion dollars in public subsidies for a new football stadium in Blaine is too rich for our blood. Zygi Wilf, the wealthy New Jersey owner, is running out of patience with us rubes.

Zygi has hired a Santa Monica outfit called Winner & Mandabach Campaigns to slicker a new stadium past the politicians and the public. It's not clear why Zygi thinks a bunch of smog-breathing, Pinot-guzzling surfers can come to the tundra and give us the facts of life. Maybe he just wants some muscle to lean on us and tell us it is not good for our health to get in the way. But there is not much he can do about Mary the Mayor.

Mary Capra is the mayor of tiny Centerville, Minn., population 3,700, which is one of a handful of Anoka County hamlets that have revolted against a sweetheart stadium deal that would put $280 million on the back of county taxpayers.

Capra, 47, is not opposed, in principle, to a new stadium. But she and a brave coterie of other public officials are asking an obvious question: Why won't the county let people vote on a plan that includes a sales tax hike that will cost a family of five about $225 a year?

The Centerville City Council unanimously asked that voters get a chance to pass judgment on the plan, and a few other cities have followed suit.

Now the Vikings are responding by bringing in hired guns.

Winner & Mandabach brags that it wins ballot issues for its clients. But in Minnesota, the task will be to keep Mary Capra from spouting common sense all over the place.

"I think they want to squash it from being on the ballot," says Mayor Capra, who presides over a city budget of $2.5 million and a city workforce of exactly nine workers. "Squash" is a verb that does not come easily from the mild-mannered mayor, who at one recent council meeting argued that a city ordinance against climbing trees should be relaxed a tad so that kids can see the world from a branch once in a while. But Mayor Mary has had it up to here with the hypocrisy of the whole stadium thing.

When Centerville joined two other small communities, Circle Pines and Lexington, to form a cooperative police department (the Centennial Lakes Police Department), the Legislature wouldn't even consider a request to exempt construction of the new police station from state sales taxes. That cost taxpayers more than $100,000. Now the politicians want to give a pro sports franchise millions in subsidies.

It makes Mayor Mary mad.

"To not go to a vote is just crazy," she says, arguing that voter approval would produce a leaner plan and protect the public. "Giving away all these tax dollars without the scrutiny of the public is just wrong."

Capra grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where her father has been a township supervisor for 30 years.

Dad taught his daughter well.

"He always said if you never make anybody mad -- only he used different words -- then you will never do any good."

So it's Mayor Mary and the small towns of Anoka County against Zygi's Heavy Hitters. I am not betting on the Vikings.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Star/Tribune again tries to kill stadium deal!

You have to get the name right on the newspaper, it is the Red Star & Tribune!

When the Vikings and the Twins were trying to get a new stadium back in the late 70's (the Metro Dome) the Red Star was against it, and the newspaper was ripping every proposal apart until they decided to build the dome on land that was owned by the newspaper. Then the newspaper was all for it, they became the biggest backers of the stadium and the stadium passed with out any problem.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

What a bunch of BS. All of the people that are against the stadium are incredibly short-sighted. That extra 225 bucks in taxes would come back 10x over in revenue for businesses in the area meaning more jobs, more money and more opportunity which eventually means LOWER taxes. Have some vision people!

"ltrey33" wrote:
    What a bunch of BS. All of the people that are against the stadium are incredibly short-sighted. That extra 225 bucks in taxes would come back 10x over in revenue for businesses in the area meaning more jobs, more money and more opportunity which eventually means LOWER taxes. Have some vision people!
    Part of the problem is that not everyone is a sports fan. Some are philosphically opposed to supporting any new stadium with tax dollars.

But I do agree with you, some people are very short sighted and cannot see the forest thru the trees.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"ltrey33" wrote:
    you're right. some people are short sighted. maybe its you.

not everyone can afford to fork out the 225 bucks in one year. alot of people live paycheck to paycheck and cannot simply just give away 225 bucks and hope to get it back later.

plus, what if someone gives the 225 bucks and then moves away the next year? they never get the money back.

yes, more jobs and more opportunity sounds amazing, but not everyone can afford to pay the taxes this year.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

So does anyone know who wrote this article? I have a very strong urge to write a little something to them.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

I would love to see a new stadium for the vikes! Heck i would get a second job just to see it happen!

But first i'd have to get a first job!!
    ;-)

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    Part of the problem is that not everyone is a sports fan. Some are philosphically opposed to supporting any new stadium with tax dollars.

But I do agree with you, some people are very short sighted and cannot see the forest thru the trees.
    I don't have kids...should I vote against every school tax that ever comes up (there is at least one on every ballot in every election)???

NO, I vote for the tax increase even if I don't benefit because I know that it's right!

Now, I don't especially relish giving fat cats like Wilf everything that they want whenever they ask for it (and hold relocating their teams over our heads like a Damocles sword (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2549/damocles.html), but to not approve some form of stadium plan will eventually cost the state and the county their team (and our Vikings). And we certainly don't want that to happen!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Ask my Wallet if the State gains by having a Pro Football team within the State...

My 3 day visit helped support alot of different people and buisnesses of MN....

From the big guys, like owners of the Mall of America and even Ziggy, to the small guy like the Pizza Delivery Guy.....

Even non-football fans make out.....The girl at the Motel front desk noticed my vikings gear and asked, are you here for the game, and I said yes...I asked, why you like the Vikings?....She replied, no I don't really like football....That was okay with me, but even she is collecting by the team being in the State......I stayed there and many others, who do you think is supporting her job at times?...Thats correct, football fans like me....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The article was written by Nick Coleman. Here's his e-mail:
    [email protected]
    I can't get the spaces out between his name and the @ sign and after. Don't put them in there.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast