Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Star Key to Hutch

I found this on another website but didn't see it reported here. I found it interesting becauser a couple of weeks ago in another thread on this page I compared the Vikings to the older Big 10 philosphy which was called "Four Yards and a Cloud of Dust." which meant it was a grind it out on the ground (ball control) kind of football that you would see from the Vikings this year. Looks like this writer is agreeing with me. It won't be exciting football but it will be "winning football!"

[size=18px]Star Key to Hutch[/size]

By: Viking Update Staff

Date: Jun 5, 2006

The days of the Vikings being the high-octane offense that puts the fear of God into NFL defensive coordinators are over. The new-look Vikings are going to take the approach that has made teams famous in recent years -- ball control, clock management and a power running game.

To be successful in the NFL, you don't need a top-rated offense. It helps, but isn't mandatory. Over the past few years, the Vikings, Colts and Chiefs have consistently posted some of the game's most prolific offensive numbers. Yet, they have no championships to show for it -- or even a single Super Bowl appearance.

No, the Vikings and new head coach Brad Childress are veering in a very different direction. They didn't go out and make a running back like Edgerrin James or a quarterback like Drew Brees their biggest free agent signing in franchise history. Instead, they spent their money on guard Steve Hutchinson, who signed the now-infamous "poison pill" contract for seven years and $49 million.

That should have sent a clear message to the rest of the NFC North. These aren't your Dad's Vikings. This group is going to be different.

The Vikings offense is being built around Brad Johnson, who at his best is a ball-control quarterback. His biggest downfall in the past is that he doesn't throw the deep ball and teams can pack in the safeties. But, when he's got an efficient running game, that all changes.

The signing of Hutchinson completes what the Vikings are convinced will be an offense similar to that run by the Seahawks -- a system capable of the big play, but whose bread and butter is running behind a massive left side of the offensive line. With Hutchinson now flanked by Pro Bowler Matt Birk and potential Pro Bowler Bryant McKinnie, the Vikings have the capability of running that ball 30-40 times a game and being effective.

The days of the bombs to Randy Moss for a quick-strike seven appear to be over for the Vikings. Fans are going to have to get used to a Seattle or Philly style of offense. But, seeing as those thems have been to the last four NFC title games and the last two Super Bowls, maybe that's not such a bad thing to aspire to.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Star Key to Hutch

I'll miss those days :cry: , but I guess we gotta do what we gotta do to win, and if that means a more boring offense, I'm all for it. I'll exchange a Super Bowl for some long bombs.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I'll miss those days too. But now we're in it to win, not fill seats.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Winning will fill in the seats. I loved seeing Randy streak down the sidelines and catch a 60 yard bomb from C-Pep, but the fact is we never made it to the big game. I would much rather have a superbowl than a super star...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

granted, we all like big plays, but they aren't everything..... I know pumped and having a good time every time the Vikes get a first down. As long as they win, all will be fine.

Thanks Lotza!

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

i miss those days too, but we will still see big plays. troy williamson and koren robinson will light up some defenses

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

I'll miss those days too. But I'm all for change if it will have all players play as a team for the purpose of winning!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

I don't quite get the title of the article though. What exactly does "Star Key to Hutch" mean?
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

Our defense will be exciting to watch, and our offense wil still have big plays. The offense will actually have the opportunity to be more effecient with our big plays, think about the Steelers. They do what we will want to do on offense, except we'll throw more, and when they go for the big play they have set it up so it usually works.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Bdubya" wrote:
    I don't quite get the title of the article though. What exactly does "Star Key to Hutch" mean?
    The 'key' to Brad being 'star' is 'Hutch'
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast