Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: stadium talk again

Is hosting a super bowl really that important??

do we design and build the thing just to one day host a SB?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    A stadium without a roof of some kind presents problems:
    1. no Super Bowl
    2. no concerts, whatever in the wintertime
    3. increased costs for snow removal in inclement weather
    4. Huge losses of revenue for the area when the stadium could have been utilized year around.

These are just a few things of the top of my head. I prefer a natural grass playing field but we need a retractable roof for that and so I see that as the best option.
    Here in Houston, we have the MinuteMaid Ball Park and the Reliant Staium for football. Both have a retractable roof.

From what I have found out at Reliant, they make the decision to open and close that roof at a certain time before the game. Like the night before so they can let the team know their intention. Once the lights went out during the game (ironic since Reliant is an electric company), they opened the roof in like 5 minutes so there would be enough light to finish the game. Both coaches consented. In general, if it is 80 or above, they keep it closed to AC the place, which it is more than 80 for over half of the games.

Minutemaid, is about the same, but you can almost always bet that it will be closed. It was funny when the MLB made them have it open during the World Series. I can understand why it is closed during the summer, way to hot to enjoy the game. This last summer, I don't think I even wore a pair of pants or jeans, there was a stretch this summer of 80 plus degree weather (even at night) for like 2.5 months.

The benefit of having the roof on both places is being able to open it all the rest of the days to let sun hit the natural grass. There is still maintenance of the grass. Because of shading, some parts of the stadium don't get much sun. Both venues also have some indoor events such as concerts. Reliant also has hosted a few soccer matches.

In Minesota, I think the roof would be nice. The important thing is to keep a guidelne and follow it to a T. The temp is "XX" degree, it is open and if "Y" happens it is closed. But if it is snowing, do you want all that snow inside? You still have issues of snow removal. There would be a lot to iron out but it would be better if it had a roof.

With a roof, it won't be dormant 9 months out of the year.

With concerts, you have issues with the natural grass. Pallets might be an idea to take the grass in and out.

Just some thoughts.

We need an SB again in the Twin Cities------ Roof Please!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"whiteviking24" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    A stadium without a roof of some kind presents problems:
    1. no Super Bowl
    2. no concerts, whatever in the wintertime
    3. increased costs for snow removal in inclement weather
    4. Huge losses of revenue for the area when the stadium could have been utilized year around.

These are just a few things of the top of my head. I prefer a natural grass playing field but we need a retractable roof for that and so I see that as the best option.
    other events at our stadium??? I could care less.....our current "home" is kinda lame in the fact that is one big rent a center...IMO

I think our new building should finally be ALL ABOUT THE VIKINGS.

I realize it is nice for the building to bring in extra cash flow for other events besides football, but it would also be nice for everyone to think of playing in Minnesota means being a tough mofo.
    I for one want to see a retractable vs. an open-air. The initial investment will pay for it's self off as a year around facility.

Also, I'm not selfish & think of only myself.

As I've said in the previous thread, many older fans, some of which have been season ticket holders for years, are at that age where they cannot take the cold like they once could & it would be unfair for them.

How many games have you been too? If you're going to a game, pay attention to how many elderly & handicapped fans you see there.

I also would not enjoy trying to watch a game thru a blinding snowstorm, 20 below windchills or thru a pouring rain, soaked to the skin.

It has nothing to do with being tough, macho or being a real man, like some tend to believe.

Sure in days of yore they played outside, but there was no such thing as domed or retractable stadiums.

Several states do have the type of weather that allows them to build & get by with open-air stadiums, but I don't believe Minnesota should be one of them.

I also want to see real grass instead of artificial turf.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

When the temp is -10 and the wind chill is -60, you close the roof!!!!!

I went to a night game(Jacksonville) in January in the Dome where these were the conditions outside. I wouldn't have enjoyed myself at all. I don't think I would have driven 4 hours to see this game if it wasn't for the roof.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

hosting a super bowl would bring tons of money into Minny. The team would get a bunch, and the state would get lots and that would make them more likely to give to the vikings again if they need it

also someone said they want a roof but they would rather have natural grass. i've seen the concept for a new stadium, it might be NY i'm not sure but they have a movable field so they can put it outside to grow and then bring it in to play on. that would be kinda cool but really expensive

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"whiteviking24" wrote:
    Is hosting a super bowl really that important??

do we design and build the thing just to one day host a SB?
    Yes, it is that important. The state has very little incentive to help support a new stadium if there is no way for them to bring in additional revenue. The Super Bowl generates enourmous amounts of money, and there is nothing that says we will only get to host one. Anoka County would never make a return on their investment if they could not use the stadium year round.

Since the vikings want to build this stadium as part of a partnership with Anoka County, and we are asking for state help in paying for it, don't you think we should take them into consideration too?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    hosting a super bowl would bring tons of money into Minny. The team would get a bunch, and the state would get lots and that would make them more likely to give to the vikings again if they need it

also someone said they want a roof but they would rather have natural grass. i've seen the concept for a new stadium, it might be NY i'm not sure but they have a movable field so they can put it outside to grow and then bring it in to play on. that would be kinda cool but really expensive
    I think that this is key to getting it to pass. It has to be a stadium that everyone can use, for different events (no monster truck or tractor pulls or wrestling) and it has to produce revenue for the state beyond the 8 games a year that it will be used for, like the SuperBowl.

The stadium will get used 8 (10 with preseason) times a year, that is not a lot for the amount of money it costs.

Back to the roof. I have made the trek to many Twins games. I have purchased tickets in advance with security that my four hour drive wouldn't be for nothing. It is hard to plan a day trip like that if you have a chance of getting rained out. Out of the 15 games(Twins) or so that I have gone to, There has been rain during 4 of them. The dome was nice enough to leak on me on more than one occassion. I am jsut saying, people have to travel and it is reassuring to know that the games will be played and played in the comfort of a dome. The flip of that is, it was always a mental transition to walk into the Dome and want to watch baseball. It just wasn't natural.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have purchased tickets in advance with security that my four hour drive wouldn't be for nothing.

I am with you there. I drive from Fargo to Minny for the Viking Games, and it is a haul! Grnated, football rarely gets rained or snowed out, but it is nice to know that you will be somewhat comfortable when you get there!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Very good points.....this is why I ask questions .

I was thick headed enough to forget the older crowd, my bad.

I was just thinking about how much easier it might be to get approved if the cost was a little less. That Rectrac roof can't be very cheap.

I also am a very traditional kinda guy.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    ....also someone said they want a roof but they would rather have natural grass. i've seen the concept for a new stadium, it might be NY i'm not sure but they have a movable field so they can put it outside to grow and then bring it in to play on. that would be kinda cool but really expensive
    There's no doubt in my mind that grass can be grown in domed or retactable stadiums, without having to go thru the expense of a movable field.

The question would be the heating costs to keep it above freezing during the winter months.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast