Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Stadium issue to move forward in 2009

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    Can someone explain to my why the Wilfs, et al are so hellbent on getting public funding?

Didn't Robert Kraft build Gillette stadium by himself (with the help of investors)?

I'm not being a naysayer, I just don't understand.
    becasue with the amount of revenue the stadium will bring in addition to the development of the areas around it
    by boosting the immediate economy in that area.. a lot of money is going to be made.... So why the hell would wilf spend his hard earned money building up the economy in that area with private funding only for the state government to reap ALL the benefits off the tax dollars the stadium brings in...

that's a pretty hefty price tag where the state will benefit and take money from the owners... So if the state has public funding put into the stadium, it gives the state an incentive for the project to want to work to build revenue in addition to not placing ALL of the onus on the Wilf's and their company...

if public funds are provided, it's a win/win for both parties, but if it's all private.. the state will reap HUGE benefits without having to do squat!!... esp. when other state's would be/are willing to fork over a little cash..

basically it's all about money!!!

So basically what you are saying is that the best way to do it is for the government to take money from the pockets of it's citizens so that an entity can be built which will take money from the pockets of it's citizens who go there and spend their money so that the owners don't have to have the government take any money from their pockets ???

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    Can someone explain to my why the Wilfs, et al are so hellbent on getting public funding?

Didn't Robert Kraft build Gillette stadium by himself (with the help of investors)?

becasue with the amount of revenue the stadium will bring in addition to the development of the areas around it
    by boosting the immediate economy in that area.. a lot of money is going to be made.... So why the hell would wilf spend his hard earned money building up the economy in that area with private funding only for the state government to reap ALL the benefits off the tax dollars the stadium brings in...

that's a pretty hefty price tag where the state will benefit and take money from the owners... So if the state has public funding put into the stadium, it gives the state an incentive for the project to want to work to build revenue in addition to not placing ALL of the onus on the Wilf's and their company...

if public funds are provided, it's a win/win for both parties, but if it's all private.. the state will reap HUGE benefits without having to do squat!!... esp. when other state's would be/are willing to fork over a little cash..

So basically what you are saying is that the best way to do it is for the government to take money from the pockets of it's citizens so that an entity can be built which will take money from the pockets of it's citizens who go there and spend their money so that the owners don't have to have the government take any money from their pockets ???
    NO, i'm saying that's why he doesn't want to entirely use private funding!.... in order to keep the vikings in Minn.. it's sort of a public service for them to be there i guess... besides, the stadium is not ONLY for the VIkings, it will be used for other things... so naturally, if the community such as high schools and other community services will be using the stadium in addition to the stadium bringing in enormous amounts of revenue for the CITY to tax, I can see why Wilf would want some public funds...

its a win for wilf/vikings fans, and for the City...

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Well, it's gonna be a hard sell.
    That's all I'll say about it.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

i wonder what the possibilities are of getting federal funding as well. some type of stimulus package maybe? with the poor economic situation were in it could benefit the federal government as well. every job created is that much more money not only the state will take in but the federal government as well. it would be a project that could take a minimum of one year and years to follow with the upgrades around it. this would get people off of unemployment for a couple years and most of the people working would be paying state and federal taxes rather than drawing unemployment benefits.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"petrodemos" wrote:
    i wonder what the possibilities are of getting federal funding as well. some type of stimulus package maybe? with the poor economic situation were in it could benefit the federal government as well. every job created is that much more money not only the state will take in but the federal government as well. it would be a project that could take a minimum of one year and years to follow with the upgrades around it. this would get people off of unemployment for a couple years and most of the people working would be paying state and federal taxes rather than drawing unemployment benefits.
    I see what you are saying.. but they've had a hard enough time trying get a bailout passed in congress and the senate for financial institutions and the auto industry.. i highly no
    i can guarantee you that won't happen to build a Vikings stadium.. can u imagine??... the other ppl across the country paying for a vikes stadium while we have ppl loosing their homes and what not!.. never gonna happen..

the only thing i could see is if it came in some sort of tax cut but even that's highly unlikely!

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"BBQ" wrote:
    Pretty much.

At least the Wilfs can point to the Gophers and especially the Twins and say, 'Hey, look.
    The Twins got Target Field, WTF, mate?'

Regardless of details, I think it's still shoddy that the state let the Gophers and Twins get new stadiums, but still are giving the Vikings problems.
    And the Wilf ownership needs to look at how the Twins got their shiney new field and take a few notes.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Blog Entries

"petrodemos" wrote:
    i wonder what the possibilities are of getting federal funding as well.

Zero

Blog Entries

"Formo" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    Pretty much.

At least the Wilfs can point to the Gophers and especially the Twins and say, 'Hey, look.

Regardless of details, I think it's still shoddy that the state let the Gophers and Twins get new stadiums, but still are giving the Vikings problems.
    And the Wilf ownership needs to look at how the Twins got their shiney new field and take a few notes.
    Somebody should be taken to the woodshed for not making the Gophers stadium a Vikings/Gophers stadium. That was the worst decision ever to build that and know that we would have to build a second one that would serve the same purpose on a different day of the week.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    Pretty much.

Somebody should be taken to the woodshed for not making the Gophers stadium a Vikings/Gophers stadium. That was the worst decision ever to build that and know that we would have to build a second one that would serve the same purpose on a different day of the week.
    Those "somebodies" are your dually elected officials in the great state of Minnesota.
    Way back when Red still owned the Vikings the U and the Vikings offered a joint stadium proposal to the state.
    And of course the state said no.

This is one of the biggest reasons that I think the state should pay for a decent portion of the stadium.
    Had they not been dragging their heels for the better part of a decade, the stadium would have already been built for half the price.
    Because the state stubbornly drug their heels, and rejected proposal after proposal after proposal,

1) The price of construction skyrocketed
    2) The Vikings completely missed out on the NFL's G3 fund (even though every other franchise except for one (the 49ers) was smart enough to take advantage)
    3) We are now in a recession

Way to go Minnesota.
    So my question is, why should Zygi Wilf foot the extra money for the state's stupidity?
    Why should Wilf foot the bill for the public transportation hub? I think that Wilf needs to pay the majority of the bill for the stadium, but things that the state would benefit the most from, like the retractable roof and the public transportation hub, should be paid for by the state.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:

The government will be the first one with their hands in the pockets of everyone. There is tax on tickets, tax on all the alcohol that is sold there & consumed at tailgates. Income tax paid by all the food vendors & anyone earning an income thru a job created by it. Property taxes on the stadium, taxes on the gas the citizens buy to drive there. Taxes on income made by the lots that that rent parking spaces.Taxes on hotels were the fans stay. Taxes on anything purchased in stores while fans stay in Minneapolis. The list of increased taxes gained goes on & on.

Nope, I guess the state should reap all the benefits of the increased tax revenue a stadium brings in, but shouldn't spend one dime in having one built.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast