Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Stadium issue to move forward in 2009 as economic stimulus

[size=13pt]Moving Forward in 2009[/size]

vikings.com

12/19/2008

VIKINGS PLAN TO MOVE STADIUM ISSUE FORWARD IN 2009

-- Stadium Development Project Will Provide Economic Boost

As the Vikings push toward an NFC North title and the NFL playoffs, behind the scenes the organization is preparing to advance its stadium drive in 2009....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Stadium issue to move forward in 2009

[size=12pt]A letter from BUD GRANT;[/size]

Dear Steve:

As the Vikings push toward an NFC North title and the NFL playoffs, we are asking you to join our team to help secure a new home for Vikings football.

While the State of Minnesota steps up to face current economic challenges, the Vikings stadium project will deliver thousands of jobs when an economic boost is desperately needed.

It is our expectation that the Vikings will move forward in 2009 with a discussion at the State Legislature about resolving the stadium issue.
    With only 30 home games left until the Metrodome lease expires in 2011, we need to rally Vikings fans and supporters to ensure that our voices are heard as state leaders tackle this important issue.

Please click here to join our team and be part of the stadium solution.
    Being part of Minnesota Momentum will keep you updated on important stadium developments and let you know how you can help resolve this issue.

Please visit MinnesotaMomentum.com to find out more.
    Thank you for your time and consideration, and thank you for joining our team.

Sincerely,

Bud Grant
    Vikings Hall of Fame Coach
    Co-Chair, Minnesota Momentum

Larry Spooner
    Vikings Fan
    Co-Chair, Minnesota Momentum

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Only in thanks to Neph did he post this,right Steve LOL

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This economic development proposal includes three critical elements that go beyond hosting Vikings’ home games:

A retractable-roof stadium that will give Minnesotans a state-of-the-art venue to be used year-round for high school and amateur sports, trade shows, community and cultural events as well as national and international happenings.

A Winter Garden light rail train station that will serve as a connecting point for the future Central Corridor light rail line and the existing Hiawatha line. This gathering place is integral to the Vikings’ vision of the overall development and will host indoor/outdoor activities for transit riders, neighborhood residents, downtown workers and attendees of stadium events.

A privately financed redevelopment of the Downtown East area that will include office buildings, residences, shops and restaurants. This exciting project will create jobs, boost the economy and bring a renewed energy to this area of Minneapolis.
    Lost in a lot of the stadium talk is the fact that the price tag includes a lot more than just the stadium.
    The light rail transit station is a key to both the stadium, as well as the redevelopment of the Downtown East area.

Frankly, if the stadium and Winter Garden are built, then the development of the surrounding area is almost a no brainer.
    Wilf and his associates see the potential there, which is one of the reasons they are fighting hard for the stadium.
    Not only to make the Vikings solvent, but also to recoup any future cost through development.

I really hope they get this done.
    The state needs to put forth their own proposal instead of just rejecting all of the Vikings.
    Then we would actually have a point for negotiations.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

I got the email letter too, but mine was addressed to "Dear Vikings Fan". ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

As nice as this would be, I doubt this is going to happen during a recession when the state budget is so far out of whack.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it'll get shot down.

I'm not happy about it - I just think that's what'll happen.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Can someone explain to my why the Wilfs, et al are so hellbent on getting public funding?

Didn't Robert Kraft build Gillette stadium by himself (with the help of investors)?

I'm not being a naysayer, I just don't understand.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Wilf should go to companies like 3M
    (bad time to with this economy though) and offer to name the stadium something like 3M Field or maybe like Land-O-Lakes Field etc etc... I mean Ford Field, Invesco Field... they all are companies...

Just say the Vikings win the Super Bowl this year... I believe we will get a stadium.

People that are so against the stadium though don't realize how much having a football team in their state is an advantage. I mean people like Berrian who give money to Minnesota Charities, and Birk etc... these guys do a lot for the kids of Minnesota... LA (or as i like to call it Latin America) is screwed they don't deserve a team. They couldn't support 2 others before so why do they think they can now?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I see a few things that are recurring and a few that are new and significant.

One, the stadium and any retail development costs should be done with private money. If the business model is sound they will be able to raise the capital privately and for far less than it will cost if the state gets involved.

Two, the city and state should take on the expense of any upgrades or expansions to water, sewer and utilities in the area. They should also be funding the rail part of the project as that is a public service. The Wilfs were already offered the dome and the land it
    sits on for 1 dollar which would give them the base for a new stadium with no lot costs.This is a reasonable contribution from the state and the state could also offer assistance with removal of the dome.

Right now and going forward into the next year the costs of building(Especially if the state is left out to the greatest degree) are actually going to be more favorable than they have been in years.

-The price of oil, steel,copper, plastic, concrete etc are all trending downwards due to the economy and also the number of contractors wiling to do the project for a minimal price due to lack of work will mean they will probably be able to build next year and into the next few years cheaper than they would have been able to for the past few years.This could shave significant costs offof the project as long as the bidding process is fair and open to competition.

- The price of real estate is deflating and that could save a great deal of money if additional land is needed to build the complex beyond the existing confines of the dome.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Ltrey" wrote:
    Can someone explain to my why the Wilfs, et al are so hellbent on getting public funding?

Didn't Robert Kraft build Gillette stadium by himself (with the help of investors)?

I'm not being a naysayer, I just don't understand.
    becasue with the amount of revenue the stadium will bring in addition to the development of the areas around it
    by boosting the immediate economy in that area.. a lot of money is going to be made.... So why the hell would wilf spend his hard earned money building up the economy in that area with private funding only for the state government to reap ALL the benefits off the tax dollars the stadium brings in...

that's a pretty hefty price tag where the state will benefit and take money from the owners... So if the state has public funding put into the stadium, it gives the state an incentive for the project to want to work to build revenue in addition to not placing ALL of the onus on the Wilf's and their company...

if public funds are provided, it's a win/win for both parties, but if it's all private.. the state will reap HUGE benefits without having to do squat!!... esp. when other state's would be/are willing to fork over a little cash..

basically it's all about money!!!

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast