Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1094004

Walker and Franklin are just two jag-off's sitting on opposite ends of the same long turd.
    Probably the best quote I've heard all year. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093954
    Also, one thing that Minnesota has to consider that others don't.... Winter.

In Arizona, sure, it cost $400 mil to build. Would it withstand a Minnesota Winter? Is it winterized? Heated? New York cost alot, but they embrace the cold, not try and shelter themselves from it.

Building a dome in a cold area is expensive. The $1 billion comes from wanting a retractable roof. THey could probably shave $200 mil off of that cost by having a fixed roof.
    University of Phx stadium has a roof and is climate controlled but it doesnt have to be winterized. Even though it snowed here over the holidays 1-5 days of sub 30 degree weather didnt affect anything. The other factor to consider however is the number of AC units on the stadium they can close the roof and keep the place cool when it is 110 outside. Costs are probably comparable to heatpumps which would be used in a colder environment. It really is a remarkable stadium.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1094017

In Arizona, sure, it cost $400 mil to build. Would it withstand a Minnesota Winter? Is it winterized? Heated? New York cost alot, but they embrace the cold, not try and shelter themselves from it.

Building a dome in a cold area is expensive. The $1 billion comes from wanting a retractable roof. THey could probably shave $200 mil off of that cost by having a fixed roof.
    University of Phx stadium has a roof and is climate controlled but it doesnt have to be winterized. Even though it snowed here over the holidays 1-5 days of sub 30 degree weather didnt affect anything. The other factor to consider however is the number of AC units on the stadium they can close the roof and keep the place cool when it is 110 outside. Costs are probably comparable to heatpumps which would be used in a colder environment. It really is a remarkable stadium.
    Maybe, but those are operating costs, not construction costs. Plus, how many 110 degree days do you get in Arizona where you NEED to turn on the AC vs. the number of sub-40 degree days in Minnesota where you need heat? I bet Minnesota wins that battle.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094020
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1094017

Maybe, but those are operating costs, not construction costs. Plus, how many 110 degree days do you get in Arizona where you NEED to turn on the AC vs. the number of sub-40 degree days in Minnesota where you need heat? I bet Minnesota wins that battle.
    I dont know the exact # but they have the roof closed until late October or beginning of November. Generally anytime the weather at or above 90 which is now through November.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Plus, I'm curious, how much of Arizona's stadium was publicly funded?

Looking it up, according to the stadiums official website:
    http://www.universityofphoenixstadium.com/index.php?page=stadium_facts&section=statistics

cost $454 mil, not the $395 mil originally stated in this thread.

$300.4 mil was funded by the Arizona Sports & Tourism Authority. They are a publicly owned, state-operated company that looks after sports, activities and tourism in the state. So the $300 mil given to the Cardinals for the stadium, did it come directly from the state? No, but it came form a division they created.

Unfortunately, Minnesota doesn't seem to understand they can do that. Arizona created the AZSTA in 2000, since then they estimate they make roughly $1.9 billion per year form their operations. I'd say any tax investment made to create that division has definitely paid off. While yes, Minnesota isn't quite the tourist destination Arizona is, there's no reason they couldn't do anything similar to that.

However, right now, that doesn't help us.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094022
    Plus, I'm curious, how much of Arizona's stadium was publicly funded?

Looking it up, according to the stadiums official website:
    http://www.universityofphoenixstadium.com/index.php?page=stadium_facts&section=statistics

cost $454 mil, not the $395 mil originally stated in this thread.

$300.4 mil was funded by the Arizona Sports & Tourism Authority. They are a publicly owned, state-operated company that looks after sports, activities and tourism in the state. So the $300 mil given to the Cardinals for the stadium, did it come directly from the state? No, but it came form a division they created.

Unfortunately, Minnesota doesn't seem to understand they can do that. Arizona created the AZSTA in 2000, since then they estimate they make roughly $1.9 billion per year form their operations. I'd say any tax investment made to create that division has definitely paid off. While yes, Minnesota isn't quite the tourist destination Arizona is, there's no reason they couldn't do anything similar to that.

However, right now, that doesn't help us.
    Well said. Basically they taxed Hotels, Rental Cars, and flights into Sky Harbor. They bought the land from the state where an old dairy farm was, as it was next to a highway project they needed to complete.

They also did AZ Cardinal Lotto scratcher tickets

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678