Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1093308
    Quote Originally Posted by "BadlandsVikings" #1093303
    How much money would the city(Hotles, stores ect.) lose in 8 weekends a years plus any playoffs games if the team moved?
    Sorry if I don't shed any tears for those Hilton heiresses losing out on a few reservations during the slow winter months. :sick:
    I couldn't' care less about the Hilton heiresses but there area a lot of maintenance, clerk, bartenders, housekeeping, etc. employees who work at those hotel facilities. Less business for the big chains means less money and possible unemployment for the common folk employees who run them.

How much money would the city(Hotles, stores ect.) lose in 8 weekends a years plus any playoffs games if the team moved?
    Sorry if I don't shed any tears for those Hilton heiresses losing out on a few reservations during the slow winter months. :sick:
    But the Hilton heiresses could lay off more workers in the hotels if they arent full due to the added tourism the Vikes bring. ITs a vicious cycle. I agree that it is more principle than anything driving this issue but there are ripple effects of not keeping the team.

The income tax from the players alone will be felt throughout the municipalities and state revenues. I think that owners should have to do it on their own but that doesn't change the fact that business is already being done like this and if we want to keep the Vikes this is what is needed.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

We can't just assume that because the owners are wealthy they have enough money to fund a 1 Billion dollar stadium plan...especially after the economic collapse of recent years.

It is a messy situation to be sure, but it's not just as simple as "Build your own damn stadium".

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1093316
    We can't just assume that because the owners are wealthy they have enough money to fund a 1 Billion dollar stadium plan...especially after the economic collapse of recent years.

It is a messy situation to be sure, but it's not just as simple as "Build your own damn stadium".
    Or in other words:
    Just because the state budget is large doesn't mean we can afford a 1 billion dollar stadium plan...especially after the economic collapse of recent years.

It's a messy situation but it's not as simple as just build them a stadium.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1093314
    But the Hilton heiresses could lay off more workers in the hotels if they arent full due to the added tourism the Vikes bring. ITs a vicious cycle. I agree that it is more principle than anything driving this issue but there are ripple effects of not keeping the team.

The income tax from the players alone will be felt throughout the municipalities and state revenues. I think that owners should have to do it on their own but that doesn't change the fact that business is already being done like this and if we want to keep the Vikes this is what is needed.
    In the long term increased taxes and state debt may hurt jobs more than the Vikings leaving the state.

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1093296
    No matter which way you slice it .5% is basically nothing. I think the issue is that it boils down to a matter of principals for people. That .5% is more or less a free donation to a rich guy/group. It's hard to look past that.
    A bunch of "basically nothing" have taken the sales tax from 4% to 6.875%, more in hennepin, anoka, and other counties.

It boils down to taking a little from many to give a lot to a few.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

More than just that. What's downtown in Minny to do on Sunday? I've been there a few times, and it's quite clear, the further away from the dome you get, the more dead it is on a Sunday. What about those bars and restaraunts who built right next to the dome? One that comes to mind is one directly across the street from the plaza across from the Dome, it's a Vikings/Twins bar, on Sunday that place is hectic. No Vikings and I bet it's not nearly as busy anymore.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

I love to see the support from most people on this site. I wonder why the folks that dont want to pay for a stadium even bother to visit this site? If you are here to support your team then quit bitching about a few god damn pennies and show some support.

I love it when people say Ziggy is rich he should just build it himself. I wish he would then Ziggy could keep every last cent of revenue and the state would lose out on a crap load of money. Funny thing is if that happened then taxes would go up on something else in order to make back that money, then the same people complaining about spending public money for a stadium would be bitching again for a different reason.

Just build it! And if you dont like it then dont go or leave.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "PackSux!" #1093327
    I love to see the support from most people on this site. I wonder why the folks that dont want to pay for a stadium even bother to visit this site? If you are here to support your team then quit bitching about a few god damn pennies and show some support.

I love it when people say Ziggy is rich he should just build it himself. I wish he would then Ziggy could keep every last cent of revenue and the state would lose out on a crap load of money. Funny thing is if that happened then taxes would go up on something else in order to make back that money, then the same people complaining about spending public money for a stadium would be bitching again for a different reason.

Just build it! And if you dont like it then dont go or leave.
    First of all don't even start playing the support your team at all cost post because that dog doesn't hunt around here.

Just because you are a fan it doesn't require you to bow to every whim and fancy that the team throws your way. If the economics don't work for the team to support themselves then possibly they should figure out a way to live within their means like the rest of us do.

I have always said I want them to stay and want them to have a new facility and there are things that I believe the state can do to help but that does not include paying for 2/3 of the cost of a 1 billion dollar stadium. Thanks.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1093287
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093238
    Where do liquor stores buy from? Other liquor stores or the manufacturer? I'm not certain exactly how the whole liquor situation works in Minny, but if they buy from breweries and distilleries, this tax won't affect them. If they buy from other liquor stores, then it will. This also doesn't specify whether this tax will affect purchase of goods for resale, or just the purchase from the end consumer.
    It is a sales tax paid during the retail transaction. The state sales tax is already 9% on liquor. So you add another .5% and you might not think it is much, but you are already at 9cents on the dollar to begin with.It does effect sales.

Ok, but do you think they can raise $30 million just by a 10% increase on tickets?

63,000 seats, lets say for arguments sake $100 average face value. that's $630,000 per game raised. over 8 games, that's barely over 5 million, and while yes, that does help, that's barely a fraction of what it costs to fund this. It would take 60 years to raise money on ticket sales. Add in probably another 6 million for merchandise, concessions and parking, we're still looking at 30 years or so.
    And that gets to the whole point- They are building stadiums that are not possible to fund without outside revenue sources. no other business can build a facility that their operations cannot generate the revenue to sustain. If it takes that long to pay off the building with user fees you either need to put in more seats and put a good enough product on the field to sell them or you need to build a much more modest facility. I see no reason to embellish it with taxpayer money.

Since when were trucks being taxed more? It's not mentioned in the article.

It is mentioned right here in the link from JMCDON00.
    City or county officials interested in the stadium would submit bids that include a financing package for a local share. Aspiring local partners could raise that share with a half-cent increase in their local sales tax, as well as by levying or increasing local sales taxes on liquor, lodging, entertainment, game admission, food and beverage.

When you raise the local sales tax, everything that is sold in that locality is taxed at the added rate. So if you buy anything in the community that gets the stadium, everything from candy bars to kitchen cabinets to ford 150's will be included in that tax. And that is what I was talking about. .5% of a 35,000 truck is $1750. Now, you can say no big deal but put yourself in the position of a car dealer who has a business in the community that gets the stadium and is subject to the added sales tax. A customer comes in to buy from you but learns they can go 10 miles down the road to the next community that doesn't have that added .5 tax and save themselves 1750 dollars on the purchase of an identical vehicle. Do you think for one second that there will be no impact for that business if that happens?
    If it was only $175, would you feel better
    Nope.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast