Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77
  1. #1
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f284c8/article/state-lawmakers-to-consider-bill-for-new-vikings-stadium?module=HP_headlines

    State of Minnesota plans on introducing a bill which would grant the Vikings $300 million of public money towards their stadium fund on Monday.

    Finally some forward progress.

    For comparison, The cardinals new stadium cost $455 million, Colts stadium cost $720 million.

    If Wilf can match what the State is offering, they can come up with a pretty damn nice stadium for that kind of money.

  2. #2
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    I agree. That should do about half of a new open air stadium which would be fantastic.

  3. #3
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    The bill would raise money for the stadium with a 10 percent state sales tax on sports memorabilia, along with a sales tax on luxury seats at the new stadium and on digital video recorders, and proceeds from stadium naming rights and a football-themed state lottery game.
    5 new taxes! B)
    City or county officials interested in the stadium would submit bids that include a financing package for a local share. Aspiring local partners could raise that share with a half-cent increase in their local sales tax, as well as by levying or increasing local sales taxes on liquor, lodging, entertainment, game admission, food and beverage.
    6 more new taxes! B)

    All during a lockout!
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

  4. #4
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1093203
    The bill would raise money for the stadium with a 10 percent state sales tax on sports memorabilia, along with a sales tax on luxury seats at the new stadium and on digital video recorders, and proceeds from stadium naming rights and a football-themed state lottery game.
    5 new taxes! B)
    City or county officials interested in the stadium would submit bids that include a financing package for a local share. Aspiring local partners could raise that share with a half-cent increase in their local sales tax, as well as by levying or increasing local sales taxes on liquor, lodging, entertainment, game admission, food and beverage.
    6 more new taxes! B)

    All during a lockout!
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Does it truly bother you that much you'l be paying mere pennies more when you buy liquor, tickets, hotel rooms and tickets, and 10% on jerseys and luxury suites in return for the Vikings staying in Minnesota?

  5. #5
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093207
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1093203
    The bill would raise money for the stadium with a 10 percent state sales tax on sports memorabilia, along with a sales tax on luxury seats at the new stadium and on digital video recorders, and proceeds from stadium naming rights and a football-themed state lottery game.
    5 new taxes! B)
    City or county officials interested in the stadium would submit bids that include a financing package for a local share. Aspiring local partners could raise that share with a half-cent increase in their local sales tax, as well as by levying or increasing local sales taxes on liquor, lodging, entertainment, game admission, food and beverage.
    6 more new taxes! B)

    All during a lockout!
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Does it truly bother you that much you'l be paying mere pennies more when you buy liquor, tickets, hotel rooms and tickets, and 10% on jerseys and luxury suites in return for the Vikings staying in Minnesota?
    It bothers me in that they are supposed Capitalists that will also soon be asking us to lower their tax rates under the notion that lower taxes are good for the economy and that higher state taxes will drive business out of the state.

    In the end if we are going to use tax revenue to build these stadiums for all sports teams then we should have a higher tax on ticket sales, memorabilia,concessions and parking directly tied to the particular sport and that tax should be used to fund the stadium and it's improvements as well as having excess revenue that is set aside to replace that building with another in the future if the team deems it necessary. This tax should be passed to cover all major sports and be targeted directly at items that will revolve around that team.

  6. #6
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093210
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093207
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1093203
    The bill would raise money for the stadium with a 10 percent state sales tax on sports memorabilia, along with a sales tax on luxury seats at the new stadium and on digital video recorders, and proceeds from stadium naming rights and a football-themed state lottery game.
    5 new taxes! B)
    City or county officials interested in the stadium would submit bids that include a financing package for a local share. Aspiring local partners could raise that share with a half-cent increase in their local sales tax, as well as by levying or increasing local sales taxes on liquor, lodging, entertainment, game admission, food and beverage.
    6 more new taxes! B)

    All during a lockout!
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Does it truly bother you that much you'l be paying mere pennies more when you buy liquor, tickets, hotel rooms and tickets, and 10% on jerseys and luxury suites in return for the Vikings staying in Minnesota?
    It bothers me in that they are supposed Capitalists that will also soon be asking us to lower their tax rates under the notion that lower taxes are good for the economy and that higher state taxes will drive business out of the state.
    Taxing sports merchandise, liquor, luxury suites, hotels and event tickets won't affect a whole lot of businesses. The tax they're proposing is not an income tax, companies won't have their profits taxed more because of this. This affects mainly the general public.

    In the end if we are going to use tax revenue to build these stadiums for all sports teams then we should have a higher tax on ticket sales, memorabilia,concessions and parking directly tied to the particular sport and that tax should be used to fund the stadium and it's improvements as well as having excess revenue that is set aside to replace that building with another in the future if the team deems it necessary. This tax should be passed to cover all major sports and be targeted directly at items that will revolve around that team.
    It really all just comes down to the American mentality.
    Don't want to turn this into a political debate, but your country has trillions of dollars of debt, and any effort to raise taxes by even a little bit to fund anything raises a big fuss because most people want to see a government take care of you that is somehow magically funded by nothing. It unfortunately doesn't happen.

    Other countries like Britain, Germany, Canada, Marginal tax rate ranges from 0-50%

    The US comes it at 0-35% I'm not doing the research, but I'd imagine that is well below average for the top 20 countries in the world.

    Basically, what I'm getting at is this money doesn't come from nowhere. If you want the Vikings to stick around, you'll have to pay a few bucks. This proposal won't really affect you personally much at all. I'm making assumptions here, but I'm guessing you are living comfortably, and paying an extra $100 a year won't cause you to give up the things you enjoy in life.
    Minnesota has a population of roughly 5.2 million. If by raising taxes Everybody had to spend an extra $50 per year, that's over $250 million. In most cases, if they weren't aware of the raise in taxes for the little items they buy, they probably wouldn't even notice. However, that's not the case. They're saying a large portion of this will come from merchandise, accommodations and luxury suites. Luxury suites bringing in a large amount of the money, and accommodations usually won't affect the residents living in the TC area. The rest is a half percent raise in taxes. Half percent. That means when you buy buy a case of beer for tailgating, rather than spending $19.49, it's $19.58. seven cents.

  7. #7
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    oops

  8. #8
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    Taxing sports merchandise, liquor, luxury suites, hotels and event tickets won't affect a whole lot of businesses.
    Try taking that debate to the Liquor store or hotel owners who already are barely making it in this economy.

    The tax they're proposing is not an income tax, companies won't have their profits taxed more because of this.
    But lower sales lead to lower profits.

    This affects mainly the general public.
    The general public is who these businesses rely on to pay their bills.
    Basically, what I'm getting at is this money doesn't come from nowhere. If you want the Vikings to stick around, you'll have to pay a few bucks. This proposal won't really affect you personally much at all. I'm making assumptions here, but I'm guessing you are living comfortably, and paying an extra $100 a year won't cause you to give up the things you enjoy in life.
    You almost hit on my point. The money doesn't come from no where. That I understand very well. My point is that if tax money is to be used the money should come directly from taxes tied only to that particular entity. Whether that is a 10% surcharge on tickets, parking, concessions, players salaries, owners corporate taxes etc the taxes should only be coming from sales generated by the vikings. The point about how much it costs me is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether another citizen who has no ties or like for the Vikings should have to pay for the stadium to be built so that I can watch them.

    I like to hunt too but do not support raising general taxes to fund projects that make my hunting and fishing more enjoyable. That is for licenses, user fees etc.

    The rest is a half percent raise in taxes. Half percent. That means when you buy buy a case of beer for tailgating, rather than spending $19.49, it's $19.58. seven cents
    And if you buy a 35,000 truck for your business in that locality it will cost you and extra $1750. If you buy new furniture for your house probably an extra few hondos. It all adds up.

  9. #9
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093216
    Taxing sports merchandise, liquor, luxury suites, hotels and event tickets won't affect a whole lot of businesses.
    Try taking that debate to the Liquor store or hotel owners who already are barely making it in this economy.
    Where do liquor stores buy from? Other liquor stores or the manufacturer? I'm not certain exactly how the whole liquor situation works in Minny, but if they buy from breweries and distilleries, this tax won't affect them. If they buy from other liquor stores, then it will. This also doesn't specify whether this tax will affect purchase of goods for resale, or just the purchase from the end consumer.
    The tax they're proposing is not an income tax, companies won't have their profits taxed more because of this.
    But lower sales lead to lower profits.
    Will there really be lower sales? We're talking about mere pennies. A bottle of liquor is about 10 cents more. I'd imagine if somebody is going to a liquor store to buy a bottle or case, and learn that it now costs 10 cents more, they'r enot going to leave empty handed in disgust.

    Also, this doesn't mention if the liquor sale tax is being added to general sales state-wide, or just during events.

    Basically, what I'm getting at is this money doesn't come from nowhere. If you want the Vikings to stick around, you'll have to pay a few bucks. This proposal won't really affect you personally much at all. I'm making assumptions here, but I'm guessing you are living comfortably, and paying an extra $100 a year won't cause you to give up the things you enjoy in life.
    You almost hit on my point. The money doesn't come from no where. That I understand very well. My point is that if tax money is to be used the money should come directly from taxes tied only to that particular entity. Whether that is a 10% surcharge on tickets, parking, concessions, players salaries, owners corporate taxes etc the taxes should only be coming from sales generated by the vikings. The point about how much it costs me is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether another citizen who has no ties or like for the Vikings should have to pay for the stadium to be built so that I can watch them.
    Ok, but do you think they can raise $30 million just by a 10% increase on tickets?

    63,000 seats, lets say for arguments sake $100 average face value. that's $630,000 per game raised. over 8 games, that's barely over 5 million, and while yes, that does help, that's barely a fraction of what it costs to fund this. It would take 60 years to raise money on ticket sales. Add in probably another 6 million for merchandise, concessions and parking, we're still looking at 30 years or so.

    And you be the one telling the players their salaries will be taxed by another 10% just so they can afford a stadium. The NFLPA would laugh your ass out of the conference room.
    The rest is a half percent raise in taxes. Half percent. That means when you buy buy a case of beer for tailgating, rather than spending $19.49, it's $19.58. seven cents
    And if you buy a 35,000 truck for your business in that locality it will cost you and extra $1750. If you buy new furniture for your house probably an extra few hondos. It all adds up.
    Since when were trucks being taxed more? It's not mentioned in the article.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    166

    Re: Stadium Bill to be introduced Monday for $300 Mill

    Just think, if the Vikings just didn't pay their players, but Wilf still sold their jerseys and put their pictures on tickets and other memorabilia, they would be able to pay for every penny of this stadium up front. In Cash.

    Oh Wait. That's college football.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No Vikings Stadium bill to be presented during Leg
    By i_bleed_purple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 02:24 AM
  2. SoCal city rejects state bill for NFL stadium project
    By Zeus in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 06:39 PM
  4. House committe votes in favor of Vikings stadium bill
    By HandsTeam in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 09:24 PM
  5. Minnesota Vikings Stadium Bill Stays Alive At Capitol
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 05:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •