Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Sproles - a must sign

Sproles would be a nice sign he's a playmaker when he get tha ball and he dnt play like his age him and AP would be a nice 1,2 punch

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    I like Sproles if the price is right but either way there's gotta be someone who can take the majority of the work and run between the tackles if AP gets hurt. That's not Sproles. I would love to see him returning punts and taking some snaps though. I'd do backflips if we could somehow keep Toby but I suppose for him he's looking for more touches, even if he gets modest offers that the Vikes can match.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I personally don't think I'm being "frugal", I just don't think the ONE area where we have a superstar is an area we need to invest some of that cap space on. AD can be the man, we can draft a rookie to take part of the load off him, and look at the areas of our team where we absolutely MUST spend our money on.

I would imagine Sproles want a long term deal, unless he is bucking the trend. Older players tend to want to "cash in" before their years of service catch up to them, and a 2 year deal might just spell out his retirement party 2 years on advance.

I'll readily admit I don't know this to be true, but it would surprise me if he wasn't looking to lock up a minimum of 3-4 years in the next contract he signs.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Sproles - a must sign

Watching saint games, whenever he came in, teams knew they were most likely passing. It got very predictable with him in the game. He could bounce back if norv can still get some more good play outta him. After all sproles is originally from SD.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b_sandhar_29 View Post
    Watching saint games, whenever he came in, teams knew they were most likely passing.

Sounds like you're describing a Vikings game with CT.

The thing to keep in mind, is Sproles can also play from the slot, AP/Gerhart can't.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Personally, I thinking adding a FA RB is not a priority, but a waste of resources.

It is only MY opinion, though.
    Why waste money on sproles, RBs in this day and age are not that important. You could get a sproles type player late in the draft, like Lache Seastrunk in the third round or DeAnthony Thomas in the fifth or sixth round or a Dri Archer in the seventh of as a FA. It just doesn't make sense to spend all that money on Sproles.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If Sproles will come reasonably cheap (2-3 mil MAX) it would be a great signing. Another option could be trying to get Lamichal James from San Fran. With Lattimore healthy, he might become a late cut or attainable for cheap (6th rounder).

Turner's offense utilizes a scat back like Sproles, In space, Sproles is extremely dangerous. in NO, they never had a real good run threat, so Sproles was never really effective as a runner. However, with AP grinding down the defense, that will make them slower reacting to draws, screens or counter runs with Sproles. They could even line up together in the pro-set, or singleback with Sproles in the slot (reverse/end around/gadget options here)

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    If Sproles will come reasonably cheap (2-3 mil MAX) it would be a great signing. Another option could be trying to get Lamichal James from San Fran. With Lattimore healthy, he might become a late cut or attainable for cheap (6th rounder).

Turner's offense utilizes a scat back like Sproles, In space, Sproles is extremely dangerous. in NO, they never had a real good run threat, so Sproles was never really effective as a runner. However, with AP grinding down the defense, that will make them slower reacting to draws, screens or counter runs with Sproles. They could even line up together in the pro-set, or singleback with Sproles in the slot (reverse/end around/gadget options here)
    If I were going to go with a UofO RB, it would not be James, but De'Anthony Thomas (from this year's draft). He will go in the later rounds (my guess, 3rd-5th), and fits well with our offense as I see it.

Of course, Zimmer might be changing everything, so who knows?

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I think there will be a lot of interest in Sproles including New Orleans if they can get a better contract. How much money different clubs are willing to spend is the question and for how long. He is a role player with limited touches. He was scheduled to make $4.3M this year, the last year of his contract. If no one bit on a trade I would think that means he will get less than $4.3M from whoever signs him.

The Vikings, if they go veteran for a back up for AD, will want a 1-2 year contract on the cheap for a back who will play limited snaps.

Sproles will want a 3-4 year contract for a minimum of 4 million/year and be at least the co-featured back.

I just don't see our needs and his crossing anywhere here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast