Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sportsmanship

sportsmanship

Hey, Vikes fans. I haven't been to the board of another team in a long time. I usually hang out on a board with other fellow Cowboy fans. You're probably looking forward to the upcoming season like I am. I've noticed a weird phenomenon in my years following football online. Someone will go to another team's board and mouth off a bunch of inflammatory BS. That's certainly not in sync with the sportsmanship that I learned from my coaches when I played the game back in high school. It gets worse than that, however. It's possible to get beaten up just for going to a stadium and rooting for the visiting team. If a fan wears his Cowboy shirt at a game in Philadelphia, he's taking his life into his own hands. Seriously. They actually have a detention center built into the stadium in Philly. How sad.

On the Cowboy board where I frequent, the other fans mentioned that it's actually possible to root for the Cowboys in Minnesota without being harassed or pummeled. That's appreciated. It's a game after all. When it stops being fun, there's something wrong. Though I'm originally from Texas, I haven't lived there for years. I currently live in Omaha, Nebraska. Before here I lived in Colorado for 17 years. I remember when I first visited Omaha, I was worried that someone would pop off at me for being from Colorado because of the college football rivalry that exists. Instead, people here have been great. It would have really sucked if some sports rivalry had prevented me from forming the many great friendships that I've forged here. Football is a game. It should be fun.

Unfortunately, most teams have at least some fans who lack sportsmanship and sadly have nothing better to do than to troll the forums of other teams with sheer genius things to say like, "Da Vikings thsuck." Let me apologize if any Cowboys fan has ever done that here. Yes, it happens on the Cowboys boards by fans of other teams, including the Vikes. However, those fans don't represent the majority of football fans. I believe most people believe, as I do, that sportsmanship is important. However, a sportsman-like fan usually isn't the type who will visit another team's board. Troll types usually have no life and therefore have nothing better to do than sit in mom and dad's basement, flaming people on Internet boards. So I figured why leave board visiting up to the goobers. Maybe paying a visit to another team's board isn't a bad idea.

In Colorado the Nebraska fans have a reputation for being rowdy, rude, and obnoxious. That's why I was surprised how friendly people are here. Nebraska's a great part of the country. I was also surprised to learn that Colorado fans have the same negative reputation here that the Nebraska fans have there. That's because the obnoxious ones are the ones that get all the attention and that people remember. That's another reason why I figured you might prefer a visit from a Cowboy fan who believes in sportsmanship. You've probably already gotten enough visits from goobers.

I actually predicted at the beginning of last season that it would be the one in which the Vikings finally got that elusive championship. I have relatives in Minnesota. Man, they've been through frustration. However, despite that, I believe it will happen in time, or possibly even this season. I was living in Denver when the Broncos finally got their first Super Bowl. That was really special for that city after years of frustration. It can happen. This season? It's possible.

In any event, best of luck and enjoy your season.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re:sportsmanship

Reverend Conehead wrote:
    In any event, best of luck and enjoy your season.
    Welcome to PPO, Reverend! You'll find that on this board we have fans of many teams who are treated with respect and are valued members (particularly some Packer fans).

I, for one, am looking forward to your contributions after such a quality first post.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Skol and Welcome to PP.O!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

If you come up for the game this year I think you can expect to have a good time. There will be some heckling but overall Minnesota nice is what you'll encounter most often.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Welcome.

For the most part, Vikings fans are a decent bunch. If someone shows up in away team clothes, they'll probably get some friendly heckling, but nothing serious like what can happen in Philly, Pittsburgh, etc.

As long as you generally don't start problems, you won't have problems with us.

Every fan base does have a few people who act like dicks, but for the most part, we can be pretty well behaved. Our stadium is constantly full of Cheeseheads, or fans of other teams, and only rarely do serious incidents happen. I was at a Chargers/Bills game a couple years ago, and there were fights all over with Chargers fans getting tossed out. I haven't seen that really happen in Minny.

Anyway, Welcome to the board, hope to see you post more

Its nice to see a boys fan who isn't 100% completely full of themselves and their whole "America's Team' Stuff.

SKOL!

p.s. Still don't like the Cowboys :P

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

As a rule, I have long believed that about 10% of every team's fan base is comprised of waterheads. This rule works pretty well until you try factoring in a couple of exception teams...mostly Philadelphia, Chicago, Green Bay (due to the rivalry, but with several excellent fans who almost make up for it), and Oakland.

And, by and large, most opposing fans who come here fall into the 90% category...

...or maybe I should amend that to, "most opposing teams fans who stay for any length of time..."

Anyway, welcome to the boards.

Caine

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Just do not come to a game in a Drew Pearson throwback jersey.

It may be the last thing you ever do.

There's nothing wrong with a little good-natured razzing, but being abusive or violent is just plain lame. One of my coworkers is a Vikings fan. We razzed each other before the game last season. Then when the Vikes took that one, I congratulated her.

In any event, thanks for welcoming me here. I'll be back. I'm sure it will be an eventful season.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am just fine with people talking smack and giving each other some good natured shit before games. But I also think it is important to show up and eat crow after a game if your team loses.

One of our friends is a Saints fan. They were at the NFC Championship game. One of my first calls after the game (once I could speak again) was to them to congratulate them on the win.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

jmcdon00 wrote:
    If you come up for the game this year I think you can expect to have a good time. There will be some heckling but overall Minnesota nice is what you'll encounter most often.
    There was a Cowboys fan who was hanging around our tailgate with some Vikings' buddies before the playoff game. He was real nervous about wearing his Cowboys gear - I think he had been victimized in Philly or other NFC East outposts in past games. Anyway, I kept reassuring him that he had nothing to fear beyond taking some good-natured crap. I don't think I ever convinced him.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast