Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Sporting News Vikings Report

Nothing much new here but an interesting read.

[size=18px] Vikings Team Report[/size]
    Posted: May 26, 2006
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=95515
    Kevin Seifert
    Minneapolis Star Tribune

The team is eager to see SS Tank Williams in full pads after going through non-contact spring practices. Williams' primary attribute is as a hitter and an enforcer, and coaches believe the team needs an infusion of attitude in the secondary. Until training camp, however, there is no way to judge whether Williams will be able to perform that function. Williams was let go by Tennessee in part because he did not fully recover from knee surgery that ended his 2004 season. The Vikings hope the second year back from surgery will allow Williams to return to his former self. Otherwise, he could be challenged by Willie Offord or Dustin Fox. Offord also is returning from knee surgery but has a similar style to Williams. Fox did not play as a rookie but is versatile enough to play either safety position or even cornerback. . . .

The team lost FB Joey Goodspeed to a torn ACL in his knee, an injury suffered during spring practice. Although Goodspeed was not expected to win a starting job ahead of veteran FB Tony Richardson, he did have a strong chance to make the team as a special teams player and backup to Richardson. The team will look toward TE Richard Owens, who is learning the fullback position, to play a swing role.

SCOUTING REPORT: Don't totally rule out the possibility that QB J.T. O'Sullivan could beat out Mike McMahon for the team's backup position. The role is especially critical for the team, considering starter Brad Johnson will turn 38 in September. O'Sullivan has experience in the West Coast offense and plays under control with a surprisingly strong arm. McMahon is much more athletic and talented, but his career thus far has not blossomed because he makes poor decisions and too often relies on his athleticism. O'Sullivan, if he simply plays within himself and does not make too many mistakes in the preseason, could beat out McMahon if given the chance.

YOUTH MOVEMENT:The team hopes RT Marcus Johnson will flourish after deciding to eliminate the regular position changes that hampered his progress as a rookie. Johnson worked at both guard positions as well as right tackle during spring and summer workouts. He started the 2005 season at right guard and finished at right tackle. The new coaching staff has identified right tackle as his best position because of his mixture of run-blocking and pass-blocking skills. Johnson could use more upper body strength but his instincts for blocking and his superior footwork make him a good match for playing on the outside.

SAFETIES ANALYSIS: B-plus. FS Darren Sharper is a ballhawk and an All-Pro. New SS Tank Williams still is rebounding from knee surgery.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Sporting News Vikings Report

Good to see Richard Owens learning the FB position.. I think he will be a great backup to Richardson. I don't think O'Sucksalot has a shot at beating out McMahon as the backup. If anyone has a shot at beating McMahon, it is Jackson. JT will be lucky if he is still a Viking this season.

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

O'Sullivan has no shot in hell of being the back-up of the Vikings. This guy is really taking a shot in the dark with this train of thought, sounds like the staff at Sporting News has had WAY to much time on their hands.

I really hope to see Jackson show us something promising this preseason. I can't wait to see how he works in our offense, even at in is early stages of developement.

Tank Williams plays a huge role in the transition of our defense. I really hope that he is able to get in there and show our strong safeties how they are supposed to play in this scheme. And if he can't...I hope that Fox gets the job, he knows how to lay the wood. Good ol' Ohio State player.

You guys are underestimating how bad McMahon really is. His career completion percentage is under 50. O'Sullivan at least has a cannon. McMahon has proven to be completely worthless on many occasions.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    O'Sullivan has no shot in hell of being the back-up of the Vikings. This guy is really taking a shot in the dark with this train of thought, sounds like the staff at Sporting News has had WAY to much time on their hands.
    I think it all depends on what angle you look at it. The way I interpret this is that McMahon is even worse O'Sullivan & we all know how bad O'Sullivan is.

Either way, and I've been saying it all offseason, if Brad goes down, we are in for a miserable season. Unless of course, T-Jack can step up & get the job done.

We should have signed a more reliable back-up when we had the chance.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    The team hopes RT Marcus Johnson will flourish after deciding to eliminate the regular position changes that hampered his progress as a rookie. Johnson worked at both guard positions as well as right tackle during spring and summer workouts. He started the 2005 season at right guard and finished at right tackle. The new coaching staff has identified right tackle as his best position because of his mixture of run-blocking and pass-blocking skills. Johnson could use more upper body strength but his instincts for blocking and his superior footwork make him a good match for playing on the outside.
    I like these comments on Marcus Johnson. I'm confident he'll have a good year.
    Even though I've allways looked at him as a guard, I guess the coaches know more about that than I do.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"cogitans" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    The team hopes RT Marcus Johnson will flourish after deciding to eliminate the regular position changes that hampered his progress as a rookie. Johnson worked at both guard positions as well as right tackle during spring and summer workouts. He started the 2005 season at right guard and finished at right tackle. The new coaching staff has identified right tackle as his best position because of his mixture of run-blocking and pass-blocking skills. Johnson could use more upper body strength but his instincts for blocking and his superior footwork make him a good match for playing on the outside.
    Even though I've allways looked at him as a guard, I guess the coaches know more about that than I do.
    Now if we can just teach him enough discipline so he doesn't have as many false starts.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Now if we can just teach him enough discipline so he doesn't have as many false starts.
    Yeah that would be important. But then again, you'd expect to see some of those mental mistakes last year given him being a rookie. He'll hopefully have learned from the experiences of him playing as much as he did last year.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Yeah that would be important. But then again, you'd expect to see some of those mental mistakes last year given him being a rookie. He'll hopefully have learned from the experiences of him playing as much as he did last year.
    I think new coaching and a year of experience will help cut down on Johnson's mistakes. I really hope that Childress and company does a better job with the line than Tice did. There have been way too many mental mistakes by our lineman in the last few years.

Chad8970 is offline Rookie

I agree with you guys, they need something other than what they have. McMahon sucks. I think they should cut him and O'Sullivan and get something else. If Johnson goes down, so does the season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast