Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Sporting News Says 6-10

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:
    its better to be picked last and finish first then be picked first and finish last
    You and I culd do as good of a job of predicting the records as this guy, because you never know what is going to happen in the NFL from year to year.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"umaguma1979" wrote:
    I see 5-11 this year. So far, Childress has the makings of Les Steckel. Even Detroit, especially with Martz and the WR weapons, all look better on paper. Our defense looks to be good, but our LBs are still the weakness. Greenway looks promising, but he is a rookie and we didn't make any other upgrades at those positions. LB play in the Cover2 is essential. If BJ goes down we are done. Our passing game will become predictable because roll-outs & bootlegs are not part of the playbook. In addition. BJ's arm strength resembles Kramer's toward the end. Not to mention a lackluster WR corp, which really lacks a true #1 (KR is a good #2 and Williams is unproven, Taylor & MR are good #3s).
    Alright, assuming our Linebackers are our weakness (And I agree that they are), do you not think that the coaching staff is aware of that fact and are taking steps to limit the effect that has on the entire Defense?

On to BJ's arm strength...I don't agree that he's tapering off there. He threw a couple of nice long balls last season, but the passing scheme didn't call for a lot of that either. And, neither does our current one. Our new short-passing/run-heavy offense can probably accomodate a lesser capable QB than Brad. So, while an injury there would be unfortunate, it wouldn't spell disaster the way it would in Indy, Pittsburgh, New England, Green Bay, or any place else where the QB is the cornerstone of the "O".

The "lackluster Receiver Corps" you mention is probably the most balanced and well rounded we've had in years. Troy will (hopefully) be stepping up his game (Rookies seldom make an impact) and Koren will be likely acting in the #1 capacity. I disagree that he's a #2 only, and feel that he brings to the table a better skill set than Burleson did). Marcus and Travis are fantastic #3's. Travis will likely see the bulk of the work as he run great routes and catches everything thrown at him.

All in all, I see us running 8-8 or better (At work I'm on record with 9-7). We have a rough opening to our schedule, but if we can come out of the first 6 weeks swinging, we've got a legitimate shot at making the Play-Offs.

"umaguma1979" wrote:
    Give me a break, y'all will be calling for Childress's head by the end of week four.

Childress need guys to buy in.......there are too many key holdovers from last season that will give up if the going gets rough.

Tice was starting to finally get his chance and i think Ziggy pulled the plug a little too quick.
    I agree with 1/3 of this statement...I too think Tice - given REAL assistants - would have continued to improve. That didn't happen.

I'm really disturbed by the idea that you feel our players will simply give up if things get rough. Things were pretty damn rough LAST season when we had the Boat story floating around, we were 2-7, and Culpepper and Birk were out for the year...no one threw in the towel then. They turned it around and made a run at the post season. What makes you think they've all suddenly become a bunch of quiters?

I believe that the new coaches, new scheme, and new players (Especially Hutch on the O-Line) will be a shot in the arm to the Vikings, and that the building blocks are there to create a very powerful team. I see us turning away from the high-flash Offenses of previous regimes, and moving to a much more power oriented scheme. I see our Defense being revamped to become a dominant force...the kind that win championships.

All in all, I think The Sporting News is waaaaay off base in their assesment of the NFCN, and just about every other team in the NFL. The team break downs read like a popularity competition, with last years power teams comming out ahead every time.

Chicago ISN'T that good. Their Defense dominated a whole bunch of really bad teams last season because they had a soft schedule. They could EASILY be 1-4 by week 5 this season, and their last 8 weeks are no cake walk (5 of those games are AWAY).

Meanwhile, the meat of our schedule is in the first 8 weeks. If we can knock off a couple of the heavies on our early schedule (Carolina, Washington, Seattle, or New England), we can gain confidence to carry us through the last 9 weeks.

All in all, I think our chances are quite good this year.

Caine

Greenway26 is offline Training Camp

My first post here, thought I'd give my own thoughts on the upcoming season. I can see them going anywhere from 4-12 to 12-4 honestly. It is really ALL on the coaches. I am definitely not sold on Childress yet, cause he came from Philly, where the O was nothing special, and the D was what got them to all those NFCC games. I think that it was the HC that made them pass 70% of the time though, so it's hard telling how much of that Childress is to blame for. Just because the guy comes in and wants to be a hard a*s doesn't mean he will be a good coach. It takes a lot more than discipline to win games. Tice, as someone mentioned before, did do a great job of building a team. Look at all the guys he brought in, especially on D, and now it's a general consensus that the D is the strength of the team, and that's also what wins championships. If McCombs had given him more resources, such as better assistants, coordinators etc, he'd have done much better. Most of the guys he had discipline problems with were the guys that Denny Green picked up as "steals" in the draft cause they had all kinds of potential, but were head cases, and that's why they dropped as far as they did. This new FO got a lot of my respect when they shipped off Dumbte Fumblepepper, but lost a lot of that faith already, when they butchered the draft after the first 2 picks of Greenway and Griffin. Jackson is not the answer, and if the worst case scenario for this season comes to pass, I hope they take a stud QB like Quinn or Stanton.

As for the team itself, the O Line should be pretty good, with the left side being the best in football. Running backs are unproven...either have our old RBs that are nothing special, or a guy who's been a backup in Baltimore for 4 years. WRs should be pretty good I think. Koren looked great last year, and Williamson if used correctly should tear it up. Taylor looked good last year as well. They should've gotten a new TE in the draft, like Klopfenstein...one who is a bigger target, faster, AND can block. The TEs we have now are Big Jim who is a great blocker, or Fat Wiggers who can catch but is shorter, fat and slow and doesn't block. FB is good with Richardson and Big Jim. QB is upgraded big time over last year, cause Johnson will begin the season as the starter, and just getting rid of Fumblepepper was huge. He's lost more games than he won by far, and it was proven last year that when he didn't have the defenses playing "Moss coverage" that he wasn't smart enough to read Ds and he is nothing without being able to just lauch the long ball. (to the guy who said he remembered him being bad his rookie year, you're remembering all wrong buddy. He didn't play his rookie year, and his 2nd year he started and had a 98 passer rating which is his 2nd best year ever)

For D, the D Line should be the best in the NFL, all 4 are very good. CBs are good at the starters, but no depth. Safeties should be good too, but again not a lot of proven depth. They'll miss Brian Williams as a nickel back, and he was the starter at CB last year if you recall. As for linebacker, the real ? on defense, it should be upgraded big time over last year. They got 2 South Dakota boys to play OLB, and Leber is way better than anyone they've had for years, and Greenway will be a stud if he transitions as he should. MLB is the one to be worried about. The guys we've had the last few years have some talent, just need to bring it on the field, so hopefully these new coaches can get them to produce.

Overall the O should be middle of the pack, rated 15-20. The D should be top 5 if the coaches bring it together.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Pretty good Newbie as I am one somewhat. You have it on with the MLB's. I have said all along that E.J. just doesn't get it. He did at Maryland, but I don't know what happened when he got here. I am telling you guys, if you look at the last two season tapes, you will see him missing the gap almost every play he is in. It is mind boggling!! There is only one gap and the MLB is suppose to be there to fill it ala Ray Lewis.

Greenway26 is offline Training Camp

"vike_mike" wrote:
    Pretty good Newbie as I am one somewhat. You have it on with the MLB's. I have said all along that E.J. just doesn't get it. He did at Maryland, but I don't know what happened when he got here. I am telling you guys, if you look at the last two season tapes, you will see him missing the gap almost every play he is in. It is mind boggling!! There is only one gap and the MLB is suppose to be there to fill it ala Ray Lewis.
    It really makes you wonder if the LBers are all athleticism and no brains, or if the coaching was just that bad. They have potential, but just never play worth a crap. After Winfield called out the coaching staff after Smith torched Cap'n Smooty all game, I am leaning towards the coaching staff being a major part of it. I am just really looking forward to watching our OLBs play, my 2 South Dakota boys (I'm from SD too). The Vikes should've grabbed Vanatieri too, then all 3 SD boys in the NFL would be Vikings.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

yeah greenway, im with you, i really think it was a coaching problem, too much talent to play THAT bad

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345