StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Sporting News Insights '08

Some ideas that are in the NFL preview from the Sporting News, for the Vikings:

- Childress has told Tarvaris to work on three things in the off-season:
    a. Reduce turnovers
    b. Just throw the ball away if people are covered
    c. Check down

An interesting point about our receivers is that Berrian will draw double covers and that will be the 1st receivers since Moss to give us that. The result will help Rice and Wade a lot, and Rice will draw single cover all year.

Re Jarred Allen, the point was made that a good pass rusher makes the secondary a LOT better, and the Giants won the Show last year based on that. Their secondary was decent, not great, but having that pass rusher was critical.

I thought another interesting point is how good of a downfield blocker Ferguson is. I thought the Viking receivers did an excellent job of downfield blocking last year, and I think this will continue.

The Sporting News is generally really good and has good insights. They predicted that if Tarvaris can "minimize errors", we can go "deep" in the NFC playoffs.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Sporting News Insights '08

Link?

vikingsblitz is offline Training Camp

Thanks for the find! Was this in the season preview magazine?
    We come from the land of the ice and snow...crying Valhalla, I am coming!

Check out Vikings Blitz and feel the rush!

Yes, it is in the Season preview '08. Good stuff. I didn't provide a link, because it is in print and I didn't read it online.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:

a. Reduce turnovers
    c. Check down

An interesting point about our receivers is that Berrian will draw double covers and that will be the 1st receivers since Moss to give us that. The result will help Rice and Wade a lot, and Rice will draw single cover all year.

Re Jarred Allen, the point was made that a good pass rusher makes the secondary a LOT better, and the Giants won the Show last year based on that. Their secondary was decent, not great, but having that pass rusher was critical.

I thought another interesting point is how good of a downfield blocker Ferguson is. I thought the Viking receivers did an excellent job of downfield blocking last year, and I think this will continue.

The Sporting News is generally really good and has good insights. They predicted that if Tarvaris can "minimize errors", we can go "deep" in the NFC playoffs.
    I was not happy when he came on our team. I even bashed him a couple times here. He proved me wrong last year. He is a great blocker and made some nice plays. 391 yards and 19 first downs was more than I thought he would provide. Not to mention countless plays he sprung Peterson and Taylor for long gains.

Ranger is offline Coach

"marstc09" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

a. Reduce turnovers
    c. Check down

I was not happy when he came on our team. I even bashed him a couple times here. He proved me wrong last year. He is a great blocker and made some nice plays. 391 yards and 19 first downs was more than I thought he would provide. Not to mention countless plays he sprung Peterson and Taylor for long gains.
    I'm with you on this one.
    The Ferg played his ass off last year, and is a blue collar receiver.
    I love it.

Receivers tend to block hard if the RB is really good. They think that their block might "be the one" that springs the RB (Peterson) for that 60 yard TD run. That is one big reason that they block hard downfield for AP. This is one underestimated part of our game, but our downfield blocking in 2007 was excellent.