Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    This article is really bullshit. Spielman has only drafted two cornerbacks since he took over the reigns, and they are both still with the team. Stupid to blame him for the picks when he wasn't in charge
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    How does this relate to Spielman's draft track record ?
    Let's see; we were discussing how Spielman's draft record was compared to both the Patriots and the Seahawks, which drew the Seahawks "great drafting reputation" into question. But the Patriots record is without question one that we would LOVE for Spielman to emulate.

Seeing how threads get derailed here quite often, I'm happy to see people trying to keep things on track; but I'm not so sure these posts were so far off the mark that they needed to be scrutinized.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    How was he not in charge? It was his draft board. His scouting department. Chlly had a say on what the team needed but it was up to him to find the player. Chilly didn't say.... hey lets take this guy over this guy. That was speilman's call. When a position was drafted... he decided who that position was... Think about it. Chilly didn't want Favre... yet Favre was on the team. When it came to player decisions... it was Speilman. The trade for Rosencopter etc.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Let's see; we were discussing how Spielman's draft record was compared to both the Patriots and the Seahawks, which drew the Seahawks "great drafting reputation" into question. But the Patriots record is without question one that we would LOVE for Spielman to emulate.
    That begs the question: are the Patriots and Seahawks drafting better, or are the players just coached better? It is likely both, but both teams got lucky with Brady and Wilson sliding out of day one of the draft.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    How was he not in charge? It was his draft board. His scouting department. Chilly had a say on what the team needed but it was up to him to find the player. Chilly didn't say.... hey lets take this guy over this guy. That was speilman's call. When a position was drafted... he decided who that position was...
    I agree, Speilman was in charge. He was the player personnel guy before becoming the GM. The drafts were his, the trades were his, the player personnel record is his.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Spielman's Draft track record made signing FA CB more crucial

This whole thread is based on a very sloppy article.

If this team was winning and competing, these players would be seen in a very different light. I'm of the opinion that the coaching has been a bigger issue than the players on the roster....outside of QB.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    This whole thread is based on a very sloppy article.

If this team was winning and competing, these players would be seen in a very different light. I'm of the opinion that the coaching has been a bigger issue than the players on the roster....outside of QB.
    Maybe we're losing because of the players chosen?
    Asher allen and Marcus Maculey ( spelling) aren't winning anyone games. we are losing because we have no depth. If jennings was to go down... we would be in trouble at WR. Injuries to cbs showed our depth last season. Also LB would be a huge problem. Lets not forget DE. We are bare at every position.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Maybe we're losing because of the players chosen?
    Asher allen and Marcus Maculey ( spelling) aren't winning anyone games. we are losing because we have no depth. If jennings was to go down... we would be in trouble at WR. Injuries to cbs showed our depth last season. Also LB would be a huge problem. Lets not forget DE. We are bare at every position.
    When we start winning, I predict you will change your tune.

Very few teams have pro-bowlers starting at every position, with 2-3 behind them just waiting to show how great they are.

If we would have drafted the same players that New England did over the last 5 years, I don't envision us winning significantly more than we did under our last to coaching regimes. If we had Tom Brady in purple, that is a whole different story, and even shitty coaches would have had a lot more success.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    When we start winning, I predict you will change your tune.

Very few teams have pro-bowlers starting at every position, with 2-3 behind them just waiting to show how great they are.

If we would have drafted the same players that New England did over the last 5 years, I don't envision us winning significantly more than we did under our last to coaching regimes. If we had Tom Brady in purple, that is a whole different story, and even shitty coaches would have had a lot more success.
    I can't disagree, but I also can AGREE. The problem is, we will never know. The one constant we will have from then until now is Spielman, so it is truly a make or break season and draft for him. I DO NOT expect Zimmer and co. to be let go if next season is a bust, I think they will drop Spielman and see if another GM makes the difference.

If Zimmer, like Frazier, is NOT Spielman's "guy", he will NEVER have a coach that he likes. If he couldn't get Wilf to hire someone he wanted at this point, it is all a mote issue. As such, Spielman (in my opinion) has his coach, has the team where HE wants it, and we will see if he has the ability to pick winners for that team.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    As such, Spielman (in my opinion) has his coach, has the team where HE wants it, and we will see if he has the ability to pick winners for that team.
    I think Zimmer is Spielman's pick, which ultimately will determine his future with MN.

In terms of the player's on the roster, yes that is Spielman's responsibility, but it is not done in a vacuum. The coaching staff and scouting team has a huge influence on what player's are selected and how they are utilized.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast