Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

SPIELMAN WANTED SMITH IN MIAMI

Pro-football talk

On Friday, PewterReport.com first reported that the Bucs and the Vikings are interested in former Saints safety Dwight Smith, who was released only one season after getting a $3.5 million signing bonus to leave Tampa for New Orleans.

The interest from the Bucs is obvious; Smith played with the team for several seasons, and arguably should have been the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVII over former teammate Dexter Jackson.

In Minnesota, the connection is nearly as obvious. Smith's former position coach in Tampa, Mike Tomlin, is the defensive coordinator with the Vikings. Smith would likely be the nickel back in Minnesota, giving the team a formidable defensive backfield including Antoine Winfield, Darren Sharper, and Fred Smoot.

But there's another connection that makes the move to Minnesota a strong possibility (apart from the fact that the Vikes are offering more money). V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman, we're told, wanted the Dolphins to pursue Smith when he hit the free agent market in 2005.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: SPIELMAN WANTED SMITH IN MIAMI

I really hope the Vikings get this guy in here and sign him.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah i was watchin sum film on this guy in his days with the Bucs(Cuz my cousin is a bucs fan)he has really good instincts and he has good feet but he bites on pump fakes alot which really scares me but other than that he's a good, young, and up and cumin player i say get em in here and get him 2 sign the dotted line and give him a jersey and helmet and sum shorts and let him get 2 work as a Vike.

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

i hope we get this guy, i know we have too many DBs but this guy would fit the Cover 2 defense well!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

boognish is offline Coordinator

"Jordan" wrote:
    Yeah i was watchin sum film on this guy in his days with the Bucs(Cuz my cousin is a bucs fan)he has really good instincts and he has good feet but he bites on pump fakes alot which really scares me but other than that he's a good, young, and up and cumin player i say get em in here and get him 2 sign the dotted line and give him a jersey and helmet and sum shorts and let him get 2 work as a Vike.
    More of a veteran leader than a young up-and-comer (he's 28 and has been in the League for 6 years), but I agree he would be a great addition to our team. You can never have too much quality depth at any position.
    I am a dipshit!!!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Pro-football talk

On Friday, PewterReport.com first reported that the Bucs and the Vikings are interested in former Saints safety Dwight Smith, who was released only one season after getting a $3.5 million signing bonus to leave Tampa for New Orleans.

The interest from the Bucs is obvious; Smith played with the team for several seasons, and arguably should have been the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVII over former teammate Dexter Jackson.

In Minnesota, the connection is nearly as obvious. Smith's former position coach in Tampa, Mike Tomlin, is the defensive coordinator with the Vikings. Smith would likely be the nickel back in Minnesota, giving the team a formidable defensive backfield including Antoine Winfield, Darren Sharper, and Fred Smoot.

But there's another connection that makes the move to Minnesota a strong possibility (apart from the fact that the Vikes are offering more money). V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman, we're told, wanted the Dolphins to pursue Smith when he hit the free agent market in 2005.

That's it. Sign him.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Pro-football talk

That's it. Sign him.
    I concur.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

From the Star/Tribune:
    The Vikings are continuing their pursuit of free agent safety Dwight Smith and could host him for a visit as early as Monday.

Smith, released by New Orleans last week, has a strong relationship with Vikings defense coordinator Mike Tomlin when the two were with Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers reportedly also are interested in signing Smith, who also can play at nickel back in their cover-2 defense.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

My bro is a huge Tampa fan, so I remember watching him in games.. He is a playmaker, and he would fit in perfectly as our nickelback.. Hopefully they sign him Monday..

If we can get him cheap I'm all for it. Otherwise I think our secondary is more than okay. Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast