singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Spielman: Vikings won't be so noisy in free agency

[size=13pt]Spielman: Vikings won't be so noisy in free agency[/size]

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI AP Sports Writer
    The Associated Press - Saturday, January 06, 2007

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Stonecoldet3 is offline Starter

Re: Spielman: Vikings won't be so noisy in free agency

This is going to be an interesting offseason.

I know that Spielman was the GM for Miami a few years back, seeing how I am not that familiar with his style, what is everyones opinion of him.
    Is Giving him the final say in all decisions on draft day a good or bad thing?

Thanks in advance.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I like the fact that we're going to do a lot in the draft. To me that says we're looking to draft a playmaker or two at the WR position pretty early.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"Stonecoldet3" wrote:
    This is going to be an interesting offseason.

I know that Spielman was the GM for Miami a few years back, seeing how I am not that familiar with his style, what is everyones opinion of him.
    Is Giving him the final say in all decisions on draft day a good or bad thing?

Thanks in advance.
    not only is it a bad thing..its a horrible thing..guy shoulda never been hired in the first place
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"I don't know if there is any guy that is going to be out there that is like that," Spielman said. "To me, you're never one player away from winning a Super Bowl."

well no, but at WR we currently have troy williamson and some hymes schmo that wasnt even good enough to play on any nfl team last year..if we thought the receivers were bad this year, i guess wed better really brace ourselves for next if we dont plan on signing anybody good in FA..even with calvin johnson or jarrett, our WR corp will be awful unless we pick up somebody useful..hes right that ur never one player away, cuz were about 6 away! and its really encouraging to see him answer that by saying we wont be making alot of noise in FA..better be some sorta smokescreen
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

This is good news.

Gotta get a WR or two in FA though.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

Vikings to dip their purple toes in the water and wait for the draft to do the heavy lifting.
    As long as they go after guys that could really fit well in the system here. Like Leber in last years FA. With all those high profile LBs we went after the no name guy but it turned out well.

And if the Vikings do not trade down from No. 7, Spielman said they will be looking for a player that can help them right away.

"That's the responsibility our department and I have is to make sure that player is going to come in and be an impact player, especially that high in the draft," Spielman said.
    Sounds good to me.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know my feelings on this just yet.. Hopefully Spielman can do something right with the draft picks.. Good thing that Childress is not making the final decision on who we draft.. If he makes draft choices anything like he calls a game, we are in deep crap..

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ltrey" wrote:
    I like the fact that we're going to do a lot in the draft. To me that says we're looking to draft a playmaker or two at the WR position pretty early.
    To me it doesn't say that.
    Passing on F/A without making some good moves is foolish IMO.

It means you're putting all you eggs in one basket - the draft. Not to many rookie starters will be coming out of the draft, especially for the one 1 team that matters, the Vikings. We need players that can impact this team for next year. Not for 1 or 2 years down the road. And that doesn't even take into consideration if the draftees turn out to be busts.

Out of the draft, how many players do you think could possibly start for the Vikings next year? Now weigh that against how many positions we need to fill for lack of talent or to replace players that will get cut or we will lose in F/A. Now throw in the possibility of pre-season injuries.

Not very good odds.

If we avoid signng players in the draft, we could very easily wind up with a team that has less talent in it & worse than we had this past year.

I think not making a move on a veteran QB last year hurt us & I think not making a move in F/A to sign the best receiver out there will be a mistake that may cost us dearly next season.

The way things are looking, we could very well be repeating what we did this past season. Bringing in everyone's tossed away players after F/A, the draft & pre-season, signing a few average to less than avererage players & tossing away the rest.

I.E. Pinkston, Mann, Hymes etc....

We need proven talent on this team at the pro level & the only way to get them is via F/A & trades.

M-Rob is gone, T-Taylor is a F/A, T-Will can't catch...........where does that leave us?

Your not going to be able to replace most of our receiving team with receivers that will make an immediate impact coming solely out of the draft.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Ok first of all this ad from that page is freaking me out...
    [img width=300 height=250]http://img1.adjuggler.com/banners/Client215198/1165261476174_meyer.jpg[/img]
    That guy's face is just... vacant...

I have no idea why we hired Spielman.
    I agree with Singer that if we don't update AT LEAST our WR through FA, we're going to be in for another long year...
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast