Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    This has a LOT to do with the new format of free agency this year too. If you look, very few of the free agents this year have signed at this point.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

Using your logic, none of the 32 GMs in the league know what they are doing right now.

Free Agency is an interesting beast this year. The changes to the dates, negotiation rules, cap numbers, etc... It has led to a very boring pre-FA period. The standing thought is that many players/agents wanted to hit the 3 day negotiation period to test the market and then use that as a starting point for negotiations for current team. For whatever reason, those negotiations didn't really materialize yet. IDK what FA is going to look like on Tuesday when it opens.
    What I see happening, is that due to the cap growing about 1mil/year instead of 10+ every year, is that most teams are at least somewhat cap-strapped due to older, escalating contracts from before the new deal, like Jared Allen's, that we still have on the books. Since most teams are a bit tight, more teams are allowing the market to determine their own FAs value, because players are not finding the big bucks as available as they once were. Look at Load, supposedly he was thinking 10, but he settled for closer to 6 per year.

And look at the teams with space to burn, do you want to be like the Browns, Dolphins, or Eagles this year!? No? OK, then let's look at the Colts and Bengals. They look good because they've been growing cheaply through the draft for years, have good young QBs who are not making over 20 mil/year, and now they have the space to spend to improve and push them further into the playoffs.

But, it takes time to get some of the big contracts whittled down and enough young talent on your team to be at a point where signing a big name, big contract or two is actually going to make the difference. The Vikings aren't quite there yet, but give us another draft as good as the last one, and maybe, we'll see some spending next FA. Just a gut-feel guess, but probably a bit more realistic than hoping to sign several 10+ million dollar men every year.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    That I don't get either. $17 million for Allen this season is insane. But if I were him, and the team came to me and said I need to restructure, I'd want to know what they were going to spend the money on.
    I agree. Why should a player take less to play for a 3 win team? If Spielman was going to do something with that money and try to build a winner then I can see it, but Allen is under contract and should take as much as he can knowing that the front office is dropping the ball.

The thing here though is that the Vikings are always behind the 8 ball so to speak. They drafted quite possibly the best RB to ever play the game, and they have a mediocre QB, and no name WR's to go with him.

Spielman for whatever reason thinks he can build a SB winning team through the draft. You have to have a balance of draft and free agent players to build a winning team. Some college players can transition to the NFL with no problems at all, while others take a few years. The problem with that is now under the new CBA, drafted players can now become free agents in 4 years, free agents that other teams will spend to get because Spielman won't spend to keep them. And before anyone says he just kept several of his drafted players, I mean game changers, not guys like Henderson, Simpson, and those kinds of players.

We all know that if Adrian Peterson had gotten to free agency, he would have been paid handsomely by a different team. Thank god that he decided to stay a Viking, but I would have to guess that he is scratching his head right about now wondering what it would be like to play with a real QB, and real WR's.

Obviously Winfield is getting up there in age, and he had a high salary that they believe he wasn't worth. I am ok with that move if they had plans to bring in a CB that could make a difference, but apparently they don't have those plans. So I guess Spielman will draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd rd and expect him to produce like Winfield did. If he thinking that way, I can certainly see now why he was shown the door in Chicago and Miami.

Long story short, we have a whole bunch of mediocre players starting on this team. We have 1 superstar on offense and a couple other very good players, and 3 very good players on defense (Greenway, Allen, and Smith) other than that, this team is filled up with a bunch of mediocre people, right down to the coaching and front office.

By the time they get a real QB in here, AD will be at the end of his career. Then we have to start over at RB. Then when we get a real RB in here, the WR's will need work. Its always a revolving door with the Vikings. Maybe instead of hiring castoffs from other teams, they should hire proven people to be the GM and the HC. Maybe it's not the players that are at fault, maybe its the coaching and scouting part of it.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    The thing here though is that the Vikings are always behind the 8 ball so to speak. They drafted quite possibly the best RB to ever play the game, and they have a mediocre QB, and no name WR's to go with him.

Spielman for whatever reason thinks he can build a SB winning team through the draft. You have to have a balance of draft and free agent players to build a winning team. Some college players can transition to the NFL with no problems at all, while others take a few years. The problem with that is now under the new CBA, drafted players can now become free agents in 4 years, free agents that other teams will spend to get because Spielman won't spend to keep them. And before anyone says he just kept several of his drafted players, I mean game changers, not guys like Henderson, Simpson, and those kinds of players.

We all know that if Adrian Peterson had gotten to free agency, he would have been paid handsomely by a different team. Thank god that he decided to stay a Viking, but I would have to guess that he is scratching his head right about now wondering what it would be like to play with a real QB, and real WR's.

Obviously Winfield is getting up there in age, and he had a high salary that they believe he wasn't worth. I am ok with that move if they had plans to bring in a CB that could make a difference, but apparently they don't have those plans. So I guess Spielman will draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd rd and expect him to produce like Winfield did. If he thinking that way, I can certainly see now why he was shown the door in Chicago and Miami.

Long story short, we have a whole bunch of mediocre players starting on this team. We have 1 superstar on offense and a couple other very good players, and 3 very good players on defense (Greenway, Allen, and Smith) other than that, this team is filled up with a bunch of mediocre people, right down to the coaching and front office.

By the time they get a real QB in here, AD will be at the end of his career. Then we have to start over at RB. Then when we get a real RB in here, the WR's will need work. Its always a revolving door with the Vikings. Maybe instead of hiring castoffs from other teams, they should hire proven people to be the GM and the HC. Maybe it's not the players that are at fault, maybe its the coaching and scouting part of it.
    If we are spending close to the cap, then we obviously are fielding a team with many players outside of their rookie contracts. And as Singer and Kevon have pointed out a number of times, we are terrible at signing our own drafted players after their rookie contracts wear out. Obviously we are signing a lot of FA's to fill the roster. Whether or not we are signing the right FA's for the right contracts is where the debate should be focused.

AD is paid very handsomely. The highest paid running back in the league at $14M/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If we are spending close to the cap, then we obviously are fielding a team with many players outside of their rookie contracts. And as Singer and Kevon have pointed out a number of times, we are terrible at signing our own drafted players after their rookie contracts wear out. Obviously we are signing a lot of FA's to fill the roster. Whether or not we are signing the right FA's for the right contracts is where the debate should be focused.

AD is paid very handsomely. The highest paid running back in the league at $14M/yr.

We are somewhere around 20 million under the cap, that is a good spot to be in. Most of the money is being spent on Allen who was brought here in a trade, Peterson which is a franchise RB who we drafted, and K-Williams who was a stout DL who we drafted, and Greenway who is a very good LB who we drafted. The free agents that they are signing, aren't the guys that fit this team. Jerome Simpson, John Carlson, Michael Jenkins, and the list could go on and on. If they spent the money on guys that could actually help this team, then that would be ok. The problem is, Spielman brings in free agents that are CHEAP and don't add much to this team, and thinks he can get 4 starters out of the draft every year.

Also, I believe AD would have gotten more than that from a RB starved team in free agency, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    We are somewhere around 20 million under the cap, that is a good spot to be in. Most of the money is being spent on Allen who was brought here in a trade, Peterson which is a franchise RB who we drafted, and K-Williams who was a stout DL who we drafted, and Greenway who is a very good LB who we drafted. The free agents that they are signing, aren't the guys that fit this team. Jerome Simpson, John Carlson, Michael Jenkins, and the list could go on and on. If they spent the money on guys that could actually help this team, then that would be ok. The problem is, Spielman brings in free agents that are CHEAP and don't add much to this team, and thinks he can get 4 starters out of the draft every year.

Also, I believe AD would have gotten more than that from a RB starved team in free agency, just saying.
    According to this site: Over the Cap- Minnesota Vikings 2013 Salary Cap Page

We are at $109M including the dead money from players cut. I'm guessing we will need around $7M for the rookie contracts and I don't think Erin Henderson's contract is factored in yet. That puts us closer to $5-6M under the cap. I'm sure there are a number of missing pieces in that number as things are happening pretty quick, but I think we are far short of $20M especially considering the rookie signings. More players will net to get released and other's restructured before we can sign any significant FA contracts.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    This team is giving me an ulcer.
    I don't understand how a team so void of talent...is so cap strapped.
    Extend allen for Christ sakes. 17 million..... 17 million fucking dollars during free agency. Why are we not fixing that contract. KW 8 million. Why are we paying him 8 millon. Extend him 3 years and get that down in the 4 million range give him 10 million guareentee out of the 16 millon contract. Do something besides letting these guys eat up our cap space....only to fix it later and then bring in the dregs of the NFL.....God. I hate this FO...Why are they so slow...why are they so reactive....Be proactive...formulate a plan prior to free agency.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    According to this site: Over the Cap- Minnesota Vikings 2013 Salary Cap Page

We are at $109M including the dead money from players cut. I'm guessing we will need around $7M for the rookie contracts and I don't think Erin Henderson's contract is factored in yet. That puts us closer to $5-6M under the cap. I'm sure there are a number of missing pieces in that number as things are happening pretty quick, but I think we are far short of $20M especially considering the rookie signings. More players will net to get released and other's restructured before we can sign any significant FA contracts.
    I think we are around 11M right now and I expect to see more veteran cuts in the coming days. Kevin Williams maybe? That would make the most sense. Especially if we are drafting a DT in the early rounds. I would offer 9M to Greg Jennings and somehow try to get Ryan Fitzpatrick on a back-up deal.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    This team is giving me an ulcer.
    I don't understand how a team so void of talent...is so cap strapped.
    Extend allen for Christ sakes. 17 million..... 17 million fucking dollars during free agency. Why are we not fixing that contract. KW 8 million. Why are we paying him 8 millon. Extend him 3 years and get that down in the 4 million range give him 10 million guareentee out of the 16 millon contract. Do something besides letting these guys eat up our cap space....only to fix it later and then bring in the dregs of the NFL.....God. I hate this FO...Why are they so slow...why are they so reactive....Be proactive...formulate a plan prior to free agency.
    I don't think they get any rewards for appeasing high anxiety fans with quick action and painting a clear vision of their overall plan. I'm sure there are plenty of dynamics involved that you will never know about that go into every decision. Pretending to understand any of it is an exercise in futility.

On JA and KW:
    Takes two parties to rework a contract. I can think of a lot of reasons why JA wouldn't want to restructure and I can think of a lot of reasons why the Vikings would not want to offer another multi year contract. There is always the option of cutting him...imagine the reaction that would get with the fanbase.

KW is the one I was/am expecting to restructure. I thought he did express some willingness. May still happen.

How do you think the NFL's model franchise (New England) is doing so far this offseason? They have all kinds of holes to fill and they haven't made any moves yet. On top of that, they are about to let Welker leave because they don't think he's worth the coin he's asking. No doubt, they will pick up a bunch of pedestrian contracts once people get out of their spending spree and augment with the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    I think we are around 11M right now and I expect to see more veteran cuts in the coming days. Kevin Williams maybe? That would make the most sense. Especially if we are drafting a DT in the early rounds. I would offer 9M to Greg Jennings and somehow try to get Ryan Fitzpatrick on a back-up deal.
    Does that $11M account for the rookie signings?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast