Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    This has a LOT to do with the new format of free agency this year too. If you look, very few of the free agents this year have signed at this point.

    NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

    Using your logic, none of the 32 GMs in the league know what they are doing right now.

    Free Agency is an interesting beast this year. The changes to the dates, negotiation rules, cap numbers, etc... It has led to a very boring pre-FA period. The standing thought is that many players/agents wanted to hit the 3 day negotiation period to test the market and then use that as a starting point for negotiations for current team. For whatever reason, those negotiations didn't really materialize yet. IDK what FA is going to look like on Tuesday when it opens.
    No.. several teams have locked up their young players well before the year ended or early in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprise if we lost 4 of those starters.

  2. #12
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I complained about this very thing early last season. Stop signing FAs to 1 year contracts. It's the stupidest thing you can do. Why? Easy, when you do that, you are taking a huge risk that they bomb and ruin your season. When they hit, you now have to battle with other teams to sign them. You never buy high and sell low. You buy when that players stock is low and sell when it's high. When you consider this along with the fact that more and more of our players are starting to hit FA without deals, you should see that this GMM doesn't know what he is doing. How many of our starters are going to be FAs this season:

    Load, Felton, Brinkley, Henderson, Samford
    What's the sense of "building through the draft if by the time your players get proficent, you are letting them walk. This guy Spielman is now a good GM. This draft is so stock full of talent in the first 3 rounds, he will still looks like a genius.
    "He drafted woods #1 = Yes, He drafted Hunter #1 = Yes. He drafted Williams # 1 = yes."
    He can do no wrong and he gets to hige his inepitude 1 more year.
    I think it's about managing the cap and getting all the players that you need to fill a roster and be competitive. There are only so many high priced contracts that you can carry on the roster, whether they came from a draft pick or FA. Ideally you continue to pick nothing but all-pro players in the draft and you get as much as you can from them during their low cost rookie contracts. Once they come up for FA, then you pick and choose which one's are worth the big coin it's going to take to keep them on the roster. That mean's you will have to let some go. If we continue to lose players because they out play their contracts, that means we are fielding a roster with a lot of talent and were able to get a lot of value out of them.

    Same is true with the one year contracts. You bring in a guy for low dollars, he plays great and now he commands bigger dollars. You have the choice to pony up a bigger contract closer to his value or you let him go and try to find another. It's the same game every other team plays on a yearly basis. Do you really think Simpson or Felton would have agreed to multi-year contracts for minimum dollars with no upside. Knowing they could easily be cut at any time. They were both in a position to prove that they deserve a spot on an NFL roster. MN took very little risk with these signings and still have the choice to retain their services going forward.

    And painting the selections in the draft as automatic for the first 3 rounds is incredibly naive. There will be plenty of busts in every round, even guys you think are sure hits.

  3. #13
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good

  4. #14
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    No.. several teams have locked up their young players well before the year ended or early in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprise if we lost 4 of those starters.
    And here's the list of who's resigned & who isn't.

    KFFL - 2013 NFL Free Agents

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #15
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    For those keeping track of salary cap, here's a list of where we are at:

    Over the Cap- Minnesota Vikings 2013 Salary Cap Page

    Note that currently we are spending $10M more on defense than offense. This is dominated by JA, Greenway, KW, and Robison. The 4 of them count over $46M against the cap, that's over 1/3 of our overall cap dollars tied up in these 4 players. To put that in perspective, the rest of the defense combined only equates to around just over $10M against the cap.

    On offense, the spending is dominated by AD and the OL. AD, Load, Kalil, CJ and Sullivan combine for around $32M of our cap space. The rest of the offense combined is around $15M. Tell me we are not a team focused on running the ball

    It is understandable why Spielman is forced to look for value players in the market. The majority of the team is made up with minimal contracts as I am guessing is the case with most NFL teams.

    If I understand correctly, we are currently at $107M plus $2.1M in dead money. I don't see Henderson's contract listed yet. The rookie contracts should equate to around $7M of cap hit, assuming we keep all picks. If Henderson is getting 2-3M, that puts us pretty low on remaining cap space ....$5-6M'ish. That's why I think we'll either see more cuts or more contract restructuring.
    Last edited by tastywaves; 03-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.

  6. #16
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    For those keeping track of salary cap, here's a list of where we are at:

    Over the Cap- Minnesota Vikings 2013 Salary Cap Page

    Note that currently we are spending $10M more on defense than offense. This is dominated by JA, Greenway, KW, and Robison. The 4 of them count over $46M against the cap, that's over 1/3 of our overall cap dollars tied up in these 4 players. To put that in perspective, the rest of the defense combined only equates to around just over $10M against the cap.

    On offense, the spending is dominated by AD and the OL. AD, Load, Kalil, CJ and Sullivan combine for around $32M of our cap space. The rest of the offense combined is around $15M. Tell me we are not a team focused on running the ball

    It is understandable why Spielman is forced to look for value players in the market. The majority of the team is made up with minimal contracts as I am guessing is the case with most NFL teams.

    If I understand correctly, we are currently at $107M plus $2.1M in dead money. I don't see Henderson's contract listed yet. The rookie contracts should equate to around $7M of cap hit, assuming we keep all picks. If Henderson is getting 2-3M, that puts us pretty low on remaining cap space ....$5-6M'ish. That's why I think we'll either see more cuts or more contract restructuring.
    We have several contacts on defense that are ideal to restructure...why are we waiting now to do it....only Spielman and co knows. A lot of teams restructeured last week. We waited the day of FA to do ours.... Loney tunes.

  7. #17
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    87
    If Spielman cut Winfield he at least has to have one or two FA corners in mind. It makes sense, as Josh Robinson has great quickness and pretty good tackling ability to be the nickel corner. I'm assuming Spielman won't be entering the season with AJ Jefferson and Marcus Sherels as the #2/4 corners.

    Probably would have given Percy $11M a season if in fact he would have stayed. I'll miss him.

  8. #18
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We have several contacts on defense that are ideal to restructure...why are we waiting now to do it....only Spielman and co knows. A lot of teams restructeured last week. We waited the day of FA to do ours.... Loney tunes.
    That I don't get either. $17 million for Allen this season is insane. But if I were him, and the team came to me and said I need to restructure, I'd want to know what they were going to spend the money on.

  9. #19
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    If Spielman cut Winfield he at least has to have one or two FA corners in mind. It makes sense, as Josh Robinson has great quickness and pretty good tackling ability to be the nickel corner. I'm assuming Spielman won't be entering the season with AJ Jefferson and Marcus Sherels as the #2/4 corners.

    Probably would have given Percy $11M a season if in fact he would have stayed. I'll miss him.
    I thought the same with Josh, but I'm not sure they are comfortable with him at nickel. He had all his playing time at outside corner and even chose Sherels over him at nickel when they used AJ at corner. Last year when Winfield was out, the Vikings listed our depth as Cook, Jefferson and then Robinson. They also stated that they felt more comfortable with AJ at nickel then they did Robinson.

    Definitely need to target someone for corner this year, but I don't see big dollars being spent in FA unless we make some more moves with the current roster.

  10. #20
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    That I don't get either. $17 million for Allen this season is insane. But if I were him, and the team came to me and said I need to restructure, I'd want to know what they were going to spend the money on.
    I always though JA's contract would be hard to get him to restructure. I also think this is his last year in purple if he doesn't agree to it next year. Currently though, I think he could demand a pretty decent contract on the open market and doesn't have a lot of incentive to discuss a new contract with MN.

    The only option available may be to cut him. which would free up $14.5M in cap space, but probably cost Ziggy a lot more in fan dollars.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •