Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Spielman unlikely to be a big spender in FA

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I favor not over spending in free agency and agree with Spielman's philosophy. Now he just has to improve his ability to find more Feltons and less Carlsons and Simpsons!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I favor not over spending in free agency and agree with Spielman's philosophy. Now he just has to improve his ability to find more Feltons and less Carlsons and Simpsons!
    This.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

I'd call spending $25 million on a TE when you have a perfectly good stud TE on your roster you're barely using not only overspending, but a waste of a signing as well.

He did get Felton, but he only got him for 1 year. Now in order to keep him they need to resign him for more money. Good thing Felton likes playing here, but who's to say he won't test the waters & we find ourselves without him? FA is 4 days away & we haven't resigned a single one of our FA's.

It's an ideal philosophy, but how realistic is it? Everyone points to GB, but they've paid some serious money to their own players before they hit FA in order to keep them, starting with Rodgers. I'd have to say Woodson's 7 year $52 million FA signing was a huge splash in FA back in 2006 as well.

Spielman not only needs to vastly improve his ability to sign FAs, but needs to continue to prove himself in the draft as well. He won't have the #3 every round this year.

If his plan is to acquire a team thru the draft & not pay a lot of money for a FA, then he better pick up the pace in drafting talented players by quite a bit.

Picking 2 to 3 good ones every year consistently, which he still has to prove he can do, still doesn't fill the roster with a shit load of talent all playing under their rookie contract. Eventually those draft picks become FA & the good ones are wanting to be paid. If he's not willing to pay them he needs to replace him. Finding a good player to replace them is one thing, finding one as good or better than the one you lost is even tougher when you're picking later in the draft.

Just 3 years down the road has last years graft class in their last year of their rookie contracts & we'll need to re-sign or let Kalil, Walsh, Smith & Wright go. With Spielman not willing to fork out money in FA, what do you think happens to them.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-08-2013 at 06:06 AM.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'd call spending $25 million on a TE when you have a perfectly good stud TE on your roster you're barely using not only overspending, but a waste of a signing as well.

He did get Felton, but he only got him for 1 year. Now in order to keep him they need to resign him for more money. Good thing Felton likes playing here, but who's to say he won't test the waters & we find ourselves without him? FA is 4 days away & we haven't resigned a single one of our FA's.

It's an ideal philosophy, but how realistic is it? Everyone points to GB, but they've paid some serious money to their own players before they hit FA in order to keep them, starting with Rodgers. I'd have to say Woodson's 7 year $52 million FA signing was a huge splash in FA back in 2006 as well.

Spielman not only needs to vastly improve his ability to sign FAs, but needs to continue to prove himself in the draft as well. He won't have the #3 every round this year.

If his plan is to acquire a team thru the draft & not pay a lot of money for a FA, then he better pick up the pace in drafting talented players by quite a bit.

Picking 2 to 3 good ones every year consistently, which he still has to prove he can do, still doesn't fill the roster with a shit load of talent all playing under their rookie contract. Eventually those draft picks become FA & the good ones are wanting to be paid. If he's not willing to pay them he needs to replace him. Finding a good player to replace them is one thing, finding one as good or better than the one you lost is even tougher when you're picking later in the draft.

Just 3 years down the road has last years graft class in their last year of their rookie contracts & we'll need to re-sign or let Kalil, Walsh, Smith & Wright go. With Spielman not willing to fork out money in FA, what do you think happens to them.
    I agree with much of what you are saying, and Spielman has made his share of mistakes.
    I'm not sure how you can be critical of giving Carlson a long tern contract then turn around and be critical of giving Felton a short term contract !

Spielman's philosophy can work, but he needs to be a better free agent talent evaluator.
    Carlson was a huge swing and a miss. But probably not as much as say, a Fred Smoot.

I agree with much of what you are saying, and Spielman has made his share of mistakes.
    I'm not sure how you can be critical of giving Carlson a long tern contract then turn around and be critical of giving Felton a short term contract !

Spielman's philosophy can work, but he needs to be a better free agent talent evaluator.
    Carlson was a huge swing and a miss. But probably not as much as say, a Fred Smoot.
    With Smoot they changed the way he played, rather than play to his strengths. That "handcuffing" was something Winfield complained about as well. They did it to Sharper also.

Spielman gave Carlson a lot of guaranteed money. With a guy like Felton, even though he only got a 1 year deal, Spielman still could have signed him to a longer contract late in the season knowing what he had. Now we are already at a point where other teams can pitch offers to him.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    I'm personally going to be surprised if the Vikings don't sign a big name receiver. I'd be twice as surprised if they trade Harvin and don't sign a big name receiver. Spielman and Frazier are pretty connected to Ponder so you'd think they need to put him in the best position possible ASAP to make it look like they didn't screw up.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Well he needs to do something. He has to realize that he is picking #23 this year and not 3rd like last year. He won't get as many solid players in this draft like he did a year ago.

He needs to mix it up with the draft and free agency. The Vikings have a dire need at the WR position, and you are not going to fix that need in the draft alone, sorry. They need to sign a free agent WR like Wallace or Jennings, or they could very well see themselves regressing in wins next season. Remember one thing, the only reason why the Vikings were a 10 win team, and a playoff team last year is because our MVP RB put the team on his shoulders and carried them to that spot. If Spielman is assuming that AD will be putting up over 2000 yards again next season, then he is a bigger idiot then I give him credit for.

I certainly wouldn't bet against AD of putting up 2000 or more yards next season, but I certainly wouldn't avoid signing players of need in free agency and gambling my teams season away assuming that its a lock that he does do it. 2000 yard seasons are rare, to do it in back to back seasons would be quite an accomplishment which AD is very much capable of, but you don't pass on signing players of need thinking that he will do it again. Just my 2 cents.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I complained about this very thing early last season. Stop signing FAs to 1 year contracts. It's the stupidest thing you can do. Why? Easy, when you do that, you are taking a huge risk that they bomb and ruin your season. When they hit, you now have to battle with other teams to sign them. You never buy high and sell low. You buy when that players stock is low and sell when it's high. When you consider this along with the fact that more and more of our players are starting to hit FA without deals, you should see that this GMM doesn't know what he is doing. How many of our starters are going to be FAs this season:

Load, Felton, Brinkley, Henderson, Samford
    What's the sense of "building through the draft if by the time your players get proficent, you are letting them walk. This guy Spielman is now a good GM. This draft is so stock full of talent in the first 3 rounds, he will still looks like a genius.
    "He drafted woods #1 = Yes, He drafted Hunter #1 = Yes. He drafted Williams # 1 = yes."
    He can do no wrong and he gets to hige his inepitude 1 more year.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    When you consider this along with the fact that more and more of our players are starting to hit FA without deals, you should see that this GMM doesn't know what he is doing.
    This has a LOT to do with the new format of free agency this year too. If you look, very few of the free agents this year have signed at this point.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

Using your logic, none of the 32 GMs in the league know what they are doing right now.

Free Agency is an interesting beast this year. The changes to the dates, negotiation rules, cap numbers, etc... It has led to a very boring pre-FA period. The standing thought is that many players/agents wanted to hit the 3 day negotiation period to test the market and then use that as a starting point for negotiations for current team. For whatever reason, those negotiations didn't really materialize yet. IDK what FA is going to look like on Tuesday when it opens.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast