Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Spielman to stick with Webb as backup QB?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Webb will go to training camp but will get cut. They'll bring in a second tier back up that wont threaten nor provide competition for the 'chosen one'.
    Hope the back up isn't too bad because so far Ponder is having problems staying healthy.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    I see Mr. Webb being cut or being placed on the practice squad if that is even possible.

I also see MBT making a strong case to be our backup this upcoming season. And i wouldn't be surprised one bit if he becomes our starter towards the end of the upcoming season. Perhaps I am being too optimistic on MBT's behalf but I believe he will be our franchise quarterback eventually.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Lol at this article. It is trying to make it sound as if Spielman was advocating keeping Webb. I listened to both of the interviews that his quotes from Thursday are pulled from, and they were very selective quotes.

This quote - "Joe did not play very well in that Green Bay game, and he'll admit to that. But I know he's done a pretty phenomenal job coming off the bench in previous games and has played very well." - makes it sound like he was defending Webb. But in reality he was defending the fact that they didn't have anyone better on the roster. This was a direct answer to him being asked "Why didn't you have any better options at backup QB going into a playoff game?"

Besides, what else is he going to say? Don't worry, Webb is cut in training camp.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    It is possible Mr Spielman is talking up Webb to see if there is any trade value there. He could be a viable backup in an option system. He is blazing fast. I do not think he is as bad as he looked in his last game. (it was maybe the worst performance I have ever seen from a QB). Hell, even if he can get a 7th rnd pick, it would be a coup.
    Too bad they didn't just stick with the plan to make him a WR and let him concentrate on that for a couple of years. I really like his talent and he seems to be a pretty good guy, just doesn't work as a QB in our system.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    I really do think that webb should be put into the WR mix.

let him push for a #4/5 spot there, and work on his routes, he has great speed, very athletic, and has huge hops. if he can catch the ball he allready knows what the QB is looking @, and can work around that.

and slide him in on some trick plays where he tosses to a wide open PH or AD after taking it from ponder.

seems to me this would be the best move.. put MBT up in the backup role, start getting him some game time action here / there. and see if he could become te one that pushes ponder out of the starter spot.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Minnesota Vikings on lookout for backup quarterback

Webb is under contract for the 2013 season, and Frazier wouldn't rule out exploring a pistol offense package to take advantage of his athletic ability. The Vikings moved the ball effectively on the first drive of their playoff loss to the Packers, running a handful of read-option plays with Webb and Adrian Peterson.
    Minnesota Vikings on lookout for backup quarterback - TwinCities.com

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Frazier said. "I'd like to see him compete with whatever we end up doing, whether it be a veteran guy or we draft a guy.
    They are not carrying 4 QB's. If they are bringing in a vet or drafting a QB, sounds like Webb is already out.

I guess we all knew that already.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Spielman to stick with Webb as backup QB?

Put it this way- if after a year in this system MBTETC can't play better than what we saw in Webb and be the #2 guy we really need to find at least 2 new QB's.

Spielman will probably bring in Sage Rosenfels for a 3rd time to compete & lose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast