Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Drafting younger guys isn't the fix all. Draft Quality is. Noticed the bulk of their playmakers 2nd round picks.

Green bay
    Cobb 2nd rounder
    Finley 3rd rounder
    Jennings 2nd rounder
    Nelson 2nd rounder
    James Jones 3rd rounder

Vikings
    Arceuex - Undrafted
    Aromashodu - 7th
    Burton 7th
    Carson - 2nd * castoff
    Harvin - 1st
    Rudolph - 2nd

I think Favre, Rodgers and McCarthy have as much to do with their success as their talent.

In terms of the Bengals drafting way better than MN, kick back and see what happens over the next few years. Right now, it's just speculation.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think Favre, Rodgers and McCarthy have as much to do with their success as their talent.

In terms of the Bengals drafting way better than MN, kick back and see what happens over the next few years. Right now, it's just speculation.

Yes and no. The fact remains, the best offenses are full of guys from the first 3 rounds.
    Except the damn Pats who do what they feel.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Not if it's digital and the battery is the problem...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    Not if it's digital and the battery is the problem...
    Then it's not broken. It just needs a new battery.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    You can't say that he has been responsible for years of crappy offense when this is his first year as GM.

With that said then, you can't credit Spielman with players like Ponder, Rudolph, Harvin, Cook, Gerhart or any other of the 2011 draftees & FA signing & anyone else signed previously to 1/3/2012.

What that leaves is Kalil, the no brainer pick, this years draft class & this years FA signings;

08/06/2012 Signed WR A.J. Love.
    08/04/2012 Signed OL Grant Cook and OL Bridger Buche. Waived WR AJ Love.
    06/28/2012 Signed DE Jeff Charleston
    06/05/2012 Signed free agent WR A.J. Love.
    06/04/2012 Signed free agent WR Corey Gatewood.
    06/01/2012 Signed first round pick, S Harrison Smith, to a contract.
    05/23/2012 Signed 4th round pick Rhett Ellison.
    05/22/2012 Signed Draft picks 4th-round WRs Greg Childs and Jarius Wright, 5th-round DB Robert Blanton, 6th-round K Blair Walsh, 7th-round LB Audie Cole and 7th-round DT Trevor Guyton.
    05/18/2012 Signed OL Levi Horn.
    05/16/2012 Signed DE Nick Reed
    05/15/2012 Signed OL Kevin Murphy.
    05/14/2012 Signed OL Tyler Holmes.
    05/09/2012 Signed DE Anthony Jacobs.
    05/01/2012 Signed undrafted free agents DT Tydreke Powell, DT Terrell Resonno, C Quentin Saulsberry, T Darrion Weems, & CB CC Whitlock.
    05/01/2012 Signed undrafted free agents DT Chase Baker, RB Derrick Coleman, DE Kevin Cyrille, CB Bobby Felder, & WR Kamar Jorden.
    05/01/2012 Signed undrafted free agents DE Eric Latimore, LB Tyler Nielsen, DE Ernest Owusu, LB Corey Paredes, & G Austin Pasztor.
    04/24/2012 Signed free agent WR Jerome Simpson.
    04/10/2012 Signed free agent LB Marvin Mitchell.
    04/04/2012 Signed free agent CB Chris Carr.
    04/02/2012 Signed free agent WR Bryan Walters.
    03/26/2012 Signed free agent OL Geoff Schwartz.
    03/26/2012 Signed free agent CB Zack Bowman.
    03/26/2012 Resigned WR Devin Aromashodu.
    03/26/2012 Resigned LB Erin Henderson.
    03/21/2012 Resigned DT Fred Evans and signed RB Lex Hilliard.
    03/20/2012 Signed RB Jerome Felton.
    03/16/2012 Signed DB Nicholas Taylor.
    03/14/2012 Signed former Seahawks TE John Carlson.
    03/13/2012 Resigned QB Sage Rosenfels and DL Letroy Guion.
    01/31/2012 Signed LB Solomon Elimimian to Reserve/Future Free Agent contract.
    01/18/2012 Signed TE Daniel Hardy and OL Jose Valdez to Reserve/Future Free Agent contracts.
    01/13/2012 Signed QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson out of Sacramento State as a Reserve/Future Free Agent.
    01/10/2012 Signed FB Matt Asiata to a future free agent contract.

None of them have panned out yet, including Kalil, but some are promising. We've only played two games so far, both being preseason. Let's see how they all play come regular season.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-24-2012 at 05:52 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of the move but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and waiting to see how the team responds and plays this year.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Thus far I am not a big fan of Spielman...mostly because he represents (to me) what I see as the source of our problems - the continued influence of the Wilf family in the football operations of the Vikings. From where I sit, Spielman and Frazier were hired because their lack of credibility/experience afforded the Wilfs the opportunity to remain "involved" in the decision making process...something they are simply not qualified to do.

if Spielman can rise above his station and turn into a solid GM, I'll be thrilled. And I'd wager that he'll have a better shot at doing so than Frazier will. But, truth be told, if he does rise above, at some point he will have to stand up to Zygi, mark, and Leonard and tell them to sit in the owners box, wave to the cameras, and STFU.

...at which time we will be hiring a new GM...

Caine

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    For me, theres only ever been one owner of a team that I didn't mind seeing on the sidelines. Hell, he was the face of that team and still is, even though he's passed.

Yup, Al Davis of the Raiders..

I throw up when I see J Jones on cowboys field.....He should be fired..LOL Can you fire an owner? LOL

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    With that said then, you can't credit Spielman with players like Ponder, Rudolph, Harvin, Cook, Gerhart or any other of the 2011 draftees & FA signing & anyone else signed previously to 1/3/2012.

What that leaves is Kalil, the no brainer pick, this years draft class & this years FA signings;

None of them have panned out yet, including Kalil, but some are promising. We've only played two games so far, both being preseason. Let's see how they all play come regular season.
    I 100% agree.

I have a hard time blaming Spielman for mistakes made when the TOA was in place, and on the same note he doesn't get credit for good pickups under the same regeim. He can and should be judged by what he is doing NOW as a true GM. So far I like what I am seeing, but you are absolutely correct in saying that we need to see them play in the regular season.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12