Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 678910 18 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 278
  1. #71
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    People People People,....Why all the fighting......Look at this draft in context to what has happened in FA my friends before you start trying to prove (or disprove) how good or bad the draft was......

    a. Kalil. In the end, we got the best LT in the draft and still got extra picks out of it. In doing so Ricky Boy got the best out of Holmgren. In and of itself that is something to really take a good look at.

    I like the pick and even though a couple of you say it was a no brainer, it really wasn't. If he was the yutz you all seem to think he was he would have take the WR or the CB.

    Mix all that in with no effort on FA to land a T, and you can tell that this was their only plan to fix the LT position and it worked out.

    Grade - A

    b. S. Used a a second and a extra pick to move back up into the 1rst to land a S that most didn't think would make it out of the first round. Depends on what scouting source you use he was the second best S on the board. Best FS on the board or second best SS on the board.

    Then in the 5th, he goes out and lands CB that played with Smith at ND that will wind up playing S with him in our scheme. Might have been a reach for him in the 5th, again depending on what scouting site you use, but he will definately fit in as a Viking.

    In the end, we hadn't done anything to land any FA help in this area other than to offer Hussain a contract (low ball because of concussions) that still might get him on the team.

    By adding two new S's, with one being a sure fire starter and the second one probably able to get significant reps, that are both comfortable playing with each other, he upgraded the S position most of you bitch about so much.

    Grade A- (Knocked him down a bit for taking Blanton early).

    WR. Again, looking first to what they did in FA (signed several players) and what the O-coord does in the scheme (doesn't use them much), there wasn't going to be as big of a sense of urgency to draft one of them high. Hell I'm suprised they drafted 2 of them.

    One (Wright) gives us a clone of Percy who can line up outside as well as in the slot, plus add some depth on ST's as a returner. The other, a big bruiser of a possession receiver has all the skillsets you look for in a player that runs the scheme we run. Again, depending on the site you look at, he can stretch the field and will be able to again if his knee is 100%. If its not, well, we really didn't put much into him now did we.

    Grade B- (draft plus FA). We have a pretty decent mix of WR's this year that should be able to get open for young Ponder IF (AND THATS A BIG FRICKEN IF) our O-Coord decides to put more than one of them on the field at a time.

    CB. Cook returns. Allen is a pretty decent C2 guy. 2 Savy vets added that fit the scheme and now you get a kick like Robinson in the 4th. Was projected to go in the 2nd but slipped because of size. To date, I haven't heard one of you bitch about Whinny's little ass. Heck, other than his size, the only knock on Rob is that he struggles in man. WHOOOP DE FUCKING DOOOO. We don't play man now do we.

    Grade A- (Again, based on the complete roster). If the front 4 can get any kindof pressure without help from the LB'rs and S's, we will be fine on the backend this year, and only get better as they play together.

    FB - Yea, I was scratching my head when they took yet again another TE, and then I really started to scratch my head when they added a TE that will really play both TE and FB. Then I remembered a couple of things.......
    1. MUSGROVE. He loves to have atleast 3 of them on the field. Drafting one that can slip in as a FB once in a while makes sense.
    2. Sauce and Shanc are gone. Spots on the roster needed to be filled.
    3. Carlson has been hurt before. The way we use up TE's, we might see him digned again.

    B+ (I actually like the TE/FB/H-back group we are going into the season with just wish we would see a bit less of them and a bit more WR's on the field is all)

    Look, this Rhett Ellison cat is a hand full. The coach they had on the set with them (Stanford) said that he is hard to defend against and catches everything that gets near him and does a damn good job of blocking. Mayock said he was his favorite TE in the draft. If they are right, I dont' think anyone is going to think twice about him in a year or 3.

    K. Face it you Shortwell backers. He started to miss FG's last year, and easy ones at that. Mix that in with his short ass kickoffs and his time is getting short. I wouldn't be suprised to see Shortwell hang on to a roster spot one more year, but that will be only as a FG kicker. My guess, this kid makes the roster, does all the KO's and if Shortwell starts missing again, they will shitcan his ass and let the kid have a shot.

    Grade B (Only cause they waited so long to do this. ) ........Under my breath....fricken Shortwell......

    MLB. I didn't think they were ever going to get around to addressing this spot. Nothing was done in FA so I knew they would add a guy, but damn, so late. In the end, I really like this guy. Maybe he isn't going to run with TE's the way you would expect a T2 MLB, but we don't play T2 now do we (I bet alot of you don't know). We run the C2. Thats why our S's are interchangeable. They are supposed to be able to help the MLB when the WR runs a route into the shorter Zones were the CB and LB take responsibility.

    Going back to our most recent additions, Smith and Blanton should be sucking up duties most of you think the MLB does. Truth be told, if you look at our starter (Jasper) he doesn't fit the bill of a T2 MLB either. Ever wonder why we drafted him? We run a C2, not a T2 ....snicker....

    Mix in the resigning of Erin and the addition of McKenzie and I think we have a pretty decent LB corps again. All we need to do is get BUG EYES the hell on out of the way so he keeps from messing things up like moving Chad to the wrong position again.

    Grade B+

    DT. This one had me scratching my head a bit. Then if you go ahead and do a bit more digging, you will see that this kid actually does better when he is playing the DT position. I guess he has enough size to add some weight, so I will watch with mild amusement as they yet again failed to get me my warpig.

    Maybe Guion will be able to hold that position down in the base and Ballard and Griff can add some pressure up the middle on passing downs but I'm still of the mind set that you fix the passing problems from that position instead of continually trying to throw DB's at the problem.

    Grade - C-. (and its only this high cause they have 3 warpigs on the UDFA list).

    Aside from all that, I think ole Ricky boy has done another fine job of drafting. Yes I said another. I've been happy with his efforts each year except for the 2007 class and to date, no one has given me any bit of data to make me think other wise even though I given you quite a bit in my effort to sway you to my way of the thinking. .....snicker.....

    In the end, I liked this draft. I think it fits nicely with what they were allowed to do (owner isn't spending) in FA and I think that by mixing the two together, the team is better, alot better than it was last year.

    If anyone doesn't think so, well, I say that is only because you are thinking in a dream land and hoping above all hope that owner will fund a HOF player at each and every position, instead of how teams are really built. A few stars with alot of good to decent role players around them that match the scheme.

    When I look at the roster that Speilman has put together since 2007, that is what you have. A few stars and some decent players around them.
    Sorry Marr,
    I refuse to listen to the "This is how Spielman does it" speech. He botched a top 3 draft spot. We can all agree that Kalil was an easy choice. Smith was a good selection but giving up your 3rd pick in the 4th round is batty especially since we had a 2nd trade-able 4th, 2 5ths, a 6th and 3 7ths. You keep that pick because everyone resets their draft cards at the start of the fourth. That 4th pick could have been worth a decent trade or used to select a damn good player. Instead we had to sit until 23. Waiting that late to select Wright and Childs is a great PR story but foolish if your team has known offensive issues. I can explain away our futility in pass defense, be it scheme, injuries etc. I can atleast provide you with an excuse. I have no excuses for our offensive futility. The only answer is that we are that bad. You can't wait till the 4th to address WR. I have no faith in Jerome Simpson as he won't be with us for 3 games and he has never been anything special. He is a marginal player at the position. They type of player that Spielman loves. He has rebuilt the Miami dolphins. Great talents on Defense but a team that could never win because offensively they are sub par. The future of the league is 3 wr sets, and athletic pass catching TEs. Seems to me the good teams get that, minus the Pats who just do whatever they want whenever. Even pound the ball teams like the Steelers and Ravens are transitioning this reality.

  2. #72
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6
    Spielman isn't being called dumb, loser or else by all the "experts". ESPN gives a B, which is decent, and others are praising the reseeding of the team. With so much need and so little to give, he has a monumental task, and its a great start.

  3. #73
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love how some of the arm chair GMs are critical of Spielman's draft. This confirms that no matter what he would have done, there would be some people complaining. Whatever...

    I thought it went well. I am very happy with picks in the first three rounds. I don't know as much about the picks after that, but looking at the need and the ratings, I certainly can't complain.

    I think that Spielman's first full year as the man in charge is off to a decent start.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #74
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Spielman isn't being called dumb, loser or else by all the "experts". ESPN gives a B, which is decent, and others are praising the reseeding of the team. With so much need and so little to give, he has a monumental task, and its a great start.
    A B with the 3rd overall pick isn't what this team needed. We needed an A Plus.
    There is no reason we couldn't have a draft similar to Bengals (simply subtract one of the first rounders). They went out and simply excelled.

  5. #75
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,915
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I love how some of the arm chair GMs are critical of Spielman's draft. This confirms that no matter what he would have done, there would be some people complaining. Whatever...

    I thought it went well. I am very happy with picks in the first three rounds. I don't know as much about the picks after that, but looking at the need and the ratings, I certainly can't complain.

    I think that Spielman's first full year as the man in charge is off to a decent start.
    I guess only one opinion is warrented. I'm not bashing Spielman because i disliked him. I'm bashin him because we we found little value for the large number of picks that we had in day 3. His statement of drafting character on day three is silly. You draft character on day 1 because most of those guys are of equal talent levels. You draft talent on day 3. A team with all these needs cannot afford to be drafting for character and passing talent up late in the draft for lessor talented Angles. We have a serious lack of talent. Passing up on a Dennard in the 7th is foolish. Drafting a kicker in the 6th with other talents like OLB Travis Lewis out there.

  6. #76
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I guess only one opinion is warrented. I'm not bashing Spielman because i disliked him. I'm bashin him because we we found little value for the large number of picks that we had in day 3. His statement of drafting character on day three is silly. You draft character on day 1 because most of those guys are of equal talent levels. You draft talent on day 3. A team with all these needs cannot afford to be drafting for character and passing talent up late in the draft for lessor talented Angles. We have a serious lack of talent. Passing up on a Dennard in the 7th is foolish. Drafting a kicker in the 6th with other talents like OLB Travis Lewis out there.
    Have whatever opinion you want - makes no difference to me. I agree with you regarding some of the 4th round decisions, and disagree with you regarding others, but that is also beside the point.

    My point was that no matter what Spielman did, there would be people who complained about him. Had we drafted the way you wanted and drafted purely on talent with no regard to character, then people would have been complaining about that - especially during a stadium push.

    You complain about us taking a kicker when there were "talents" like Travis Lewis out there. And yet let's see who makes the active roster and who doesn't. Hell, I would actually give the edge to the kicker. There were a lot of teams who felt that Lewis wasn't much of a talent - we went late in the 7th round after all. Arguing and complaining about 6th and 7th round picks is a little ridiculous seeing as they are pretty much a crap shoot regardless. So why not draft a kicker? what did he have to lose?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #77
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    We won't truly know the impact of this draft for 4-5 years...and I'm sure that some will point back then and say, "Remember when i said (insert player here) was a beast/bust? Told you so!!".

    Here's MY stance:

    1: Marrdro, as usual, has put a lot of double talk into his draft analysis...I'm fairly certain I disagree with most of it, but I'll have to reread it since my first run through attempt put me to sleep.

    2: I disagree that a premier LT is a necessity in today's NFL. I think we blew it picking Kalil ONLY from the standpoint that we have greater needs than the LT position, and that position could have been filled later, and cheaper. Kalil will likely be a great player (we hope), but I believe the "LT Need" theory to be mostly hot air and bullshit. I think WR was the primary need position (once Luck and RGIII were off the board) for us, and we blew it there.

    3: Speaking of WR....we drafted the 18th WR in this draft. Then we drafted his childhood friend...likely for a "feel good" story. Problem is, neither one addresses our true area of need at the WR position. Where is the outside field stretcher that we need? One is a poor-man's Percy Harvin...which would be nice except for the fact that we HAVE Percy Harvin. The other is a project guy who lacks separation ability beyond 5-10 yards. Wonderful. Even Kalil won't keep them off Ponder's back when he has NO ONE to throw to...

    4: The rest of the draft was alright...maybe. We'll see as time passes. I think our need at DB is augmented by our lack of ability to create problems up front - ergo, had we drafted DT/LB with the ability to raise hell, our secondary wouldn't get pasted every week. But, instead, we went after DB's....


    As I said before, we have SO many holes to fill that someone is going to find a silver lining in this draft. Problem is, from my POV, we didn't address our CORE problems very well, which means that we will continue to struggle to put up points, or to stop the more explosive teams out there.

    I don't entirely blame Spielman though...I also blame Wilf for hiring him. Does he have the team up for sale yet?

    Caine

  8. #78
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    The onl.y reason you like it is because we were picking 3rd. Very easy to be pumped about the earlier players when you are picking so high. When you consider where we were drafting and the moves we made, we didn't have the wort draft but we did nothing special.
    True, but we didn't make any completely boneheaded moves. We managed to scoop up a couple extra picks by moving down ONE spot, and still got the guy we want. Good trade, and essentially free picks. We didn't make any truly stupid reaches (Ponder in the first, Gerhart in the second), got players that we need to make our team better. Kalil and Smith alone will upgrade their position right away, hopefully that corner can make an impact, he's stupid fast (4.29 40 time), possibly a punt returner until he gets into the swing of things?

  9. #79
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,915
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    True, but we didn't make any completely boneheaded moves. We managed to scoop up a couple extra picks by moving down ONE spot, and still got the guy we want. Good trade, and essentially free picks. We didn't make any truly stupid reaches (Ponder in the first, Gerhart in the second), got players that we need to make our team better. Kalil and Smith alone will upgrade their position right away, hopefully that corner can make an impact, he's stupid fast (4.29 40 time), possibly a punt returner until he gets into the swing of things?
    I never thought about it that way. You make a good point about the moves were as bad as usual.

  10. #80
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Spielman isn't being called dumb, loser or else by all the "experts". ESPN gives a B, which is decent, and others are praising the reseeding of the team. With so much need and so little to give, he has a monumental task, and its a great start.
    +1...

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 678910 18 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •