Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    People People People,....Why all the fighting......Look at this draft in context to what has happened in FA my friends before you start trying to prove (or disprove) how good or bad the draft was......

a. Kalil. In the end, we got the best LT in the draft and still got extra picks out of it. In doing so Ricky Boy got the best out of Holmgren. In and of itself that is something to really take a good look at.

I like the pick and even though a couple of you say it was a no brainer, it really wasn't. If he was the yutz you all seem to think he was he would have take the WR or the CB.

Mix all that in with no effort on FA to land a T, and you can tell that this was their only plan to fix the LT position and it worked out.

Grade - A

b. S. Used a a second and a extra pick to move back up into the 1rst to land a S that most didn't think would make it out of the first round. Depends on what scouting source you use he was the second best S on the board. Best FS on the board or second best SS on the board.

Then in the 5th, he goes out and lands CB that played with Smith at ND that will wind up playing S with him in our scheme. Might have been a reach for him in the 5th, again depending on what scouting site you use, but he will definately fit in as a Viking.

In the end, we hadn't done anything to land any FA help in this area other than to offer Hussain a contract (low ball because of concussions) that still might get him on the team.

By adding two new S's, with one being a sure fire starter and the second one probably able to get significant reps, that are both comfortable playing with each other, he upgraded the S position most of you bitch about so much.

Grade A- (Knocked him down a bit for taking Blanton early).

WR. Again, looking first to what they did in FA (signed several players) and what the O-coord does in the scheme (doesn't use them much), there wasn't going to be as big of a sense of urgency to draft one of them high. Hell I'm suprised they drafted 2 of them.

One (Wright) gives us a clone of Percy who can line up outside as well as in the slot, plus add some depth on ST's as a returner. The other, a big bruiser of a possession receiver has all the skillsets you look for in a player that runs the scheme we run. Again, depending on the site you look at, he can stretch the field and will be able to again if his knee is 100%. If its not, well, we really didn't put much into him now did we.

Grade B- (draft plus FA). We have a pretty decent mix of WR's this year that should be able to get open for young Ponder IF (AND THATS A BIG FRICKEN IF) our O-Coord decides to put more than one of them on the field at a time.

CB. Cook returns. Allen is a pretty decent C2 guy. 2 Savy vets added that fit the scheme and now you get a kick like Robinson in the 4th. Was projected to go in the 2nd but slipped because of size. To date, I haven't heard one of you bitch about Whinny's little ass. Heck, other than his size, the only knock on Rob is that he struggles in man. WHOOOP DE FUCKING DOOOO. We don't play man now do we.

Grade A- (Again, based on the complete roster). If the front 4 can get any kindof pressure without help from the LB'rs and S's, we will be fine on the backend this year, and only get better as they play together.

FB - Yea, I was scratching my head when they took yet again another TE, and then I really started to scratch my head when they added a TE that will really play both TE and FB. Then I remembered a couple of things.......
    1. MUSGROVE. He loves to have atleast 3 of them on the field. Drafting one that can slip in as a FB once in a while makes sense.
    2. Sauce and Shanc are gone. Spots on the roster needed to be filled.
    3. Carlson has been hurt before. The way we use up TE's, we might see him digned again.

B+ (I actually like the TE/FB/H-back group we are going into the season with just wish we would see a bit less of them and a bit more WR's on the field is all)

Look, this Rhett Ellison cat is a hand full. The coach they had on the set with them (Stanford) said that he is hard to defend against and catches everything that gets near him and does a damn good job of blocking. Mayock said he was his favorite TE in the draft. If they are right, I dont' think anyone is going to think twice about him in a year or 3.

K. Face it you Shortwell backers. He started to miss FG's last year, and easy ones at that. Mix that in with his short ass kickoffs and his time is getting short. I wouldn't be suprised to see Shortwell hang on to a roster spot one more year, but that will be only as a FG kicker. My guess, this kid makes the roster, does all the KO's and if Shortwell starts missing again, they will shitcan his ass and let the kid have a shot.

Grade B (Only cause they waited so long to do this. ) ........Under my breath....fricken Shortwell......

MLB. I didn't think they were ever going to get around to addressing this spot. Nothing was done in FA so I knew they would add a guy, but damn, so late. In the end, I really like this guy. Maybe he isn't going to run with TE's the way you would expect a T2 MLB, but we don't play T2 now do we (I bet alot of you don't know). We run the C2. Thats why our S's are interchangeable. They are supposed to be able to help the MLB when the WR runs a route into the shorter Zones were the CB and LB take responsibility.

Going back to our most recent additions, Smith and Blanton should be sucking up duties most of you think the MLB does. Truth be told, if you look at our starter (Jasper) he doesn't fit the bill of a T2 MLB either. Ever wonder why we drafted him? We run a C2, not a T2 ....snicker....

Mix in the resigning of Erin and the addition of McKenzie and I think we have a pretty decent LB corps again. All we need to do is get BUG EYES the hell on out of the way so he keeps from messing things up like moving Chad to the wrong position again.

Grade B+

DT. This one had me scratching my head a bit. Then if you go ahead and do a bit more digging, you will see that this kid actually does better when he is playing the DT position. I guess he has enough size to add some weight, so I will watch with mild amusement as they yet again failed to get me my warpig.

Maybe Guion will be able to hold that position down in the base and Ballard and Griff can add some pressure up the middle on passing downs but I'm still of the mind set that you fix the passing problems from that position instead of continually trying to throw DB's at the problem.

Grade - C-. (and its only this high cause they have 3 warpigs on the UDFA list).

Aside from all that, I think ole Ricky boy has done another fine job of drafting. Yes I said another. I've been happy with his efforts each year except for the 2007 class and to date, no one has given me any bit of data to make me think other wise even though I given you quite a bit in my effort to sway you to my way of the thinking. .....snicker.....

In the end, I liked this draft. I think it fits nicely with what they were allowed to do (owner isn't spending) in FA and I think that by mixing the two together, the team is better, alot better than it was last year.

If anyone doesn't think so, well, I say that is only because you are thinking in a dream land and hoping above all hope that owner will fund a HOF player at each and every position, instead of how teams are really built. A few stars with alot of good to decent role players around them that match the scheme.

When I look at the roster that Speilman has put together since 2007, that is what you have. A few stars and some decent players around them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

K. Face it you Shortwell backers. He started to miss FG's last year, and easy ones at that. Mix that in with his short ass kickoffs and his time is getting short. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shortwell hang on to a roster spot one more year, but that will be only as a FG kicker. My guess, this kid makes the roster, does all the KO's and if Shortwell starts missing again, they will shitcan his ass and let the kid have a shot.

Grade B (Only cause they waited so long to do this. ) ........Under my breath....fricken Shortwell.......
    LOL! Granted I'm not a big fan of Longwells, but if you think replacing a FG kicker that made 79% (22-28) of his FG's with a kicker that did worse than Longwell, making only 60% (21-35), is the solution at kicker, then God help you.

You do realize that the goal is to improve the position, not make it worse.

Besides, you were never a big proponent of keeping two kickers plus a punter on the roster & now you seem to be condoning it, because that's exactly what he's doing after signing Longwell to four more years just last year.

If he was intent on picking up a kicker, he should have at least drafted one that could make more than 60% of his kicks.

Grade D on that pick.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-29-2012 at 12:21 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

When I look at the roster that Speilman has put together since 2007, that is what you have. A few stars and some decent players around them.
    When I look at what he's done with this team since 2007, I see a team that went from having more stars that made the playoffs in 2008 & 2009 and dwindled it down to a team with a few stars that won only 9 out of their last 34 games.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-29-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    LOL! Granted I'm not a big fan of Longwells, but if you think replacing a FG kicker that made 79% (22-28) of his FG's with a kicker that did worse than Longwell, making only 60% (21-35), is the solution at kicker, then God help you.

You do realize that the goal is to improve the position, not make it worse.

Besides, you were never a big proponent of keeping two kickers plus a punter on the roster & now you seem to be condoning it, because that's exactly what he's doing after signing Longwell to four more years just last year.

If he was intent on picking up a kicker, he should have at least drafted one that could make more than 60% of his kicks.

Grade D
    Nope, I'm not a proponent of keeping 2 kickers and a punter. However coma you have to look at things here (well its gonna be more than two really)

1. Shortwell is missing FG's. Redo his average based on what he did last year.
    2. Even with the shortened field he sucks on KO's If you have a team that is being rebuilt you do everything you can do to help win. One of them is easy, you get a kicker that can put it out of the endzone so you don't have to have big returns.
    3. We are going to have a young team on the field (again) and most of them are going to make mistakes as they learn. Why not get that out of the way with your kicker at the same time as the other players?

In the end, if they wouldn't have changed the KO spot last year, Shortwell would have been gone anyways vice having a contract extension. In the end, he still sucks, so you just get rid of his ass and move on and you do it at alot cheaper of a price than trying to sign one of the higher priced vets.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Nope, I'm not a proponent of keeping 2 kickers and a punter. However coma you have to look at things here (well its gonna be more than two really)

1. Shortwell is missing FG's. Redo his average based on what he did last year.
    2. Even with the shortened field he sucks on KO's If you have a team that is being rebuilt you do everything you can do to help win. One of them is easy, you get a kicker that can put it out of the endzone so you don't have to have big returns.
    3. We are going to have a young team on the field (again) and most of them are going to make mistakes as they learn. Why not get that out of the way with your kicker at the same time as the other players?

In the end, if they wouldn't have changed the KO spot last year, Shortwell would have been gone anyways vice having a contract extension. In the end, he still sucks, so you just get rid of his ass and move on and you do it at alot cheaper of a price than trying to sign one of the higher priced vets.
    That was Longwell's average from last year. 22-28 or 79%. I am not a big fan of his KO's, but I'd rather have a kicker that can't quite kick the ball out of the endzone & makes 79% of his FG's, rather than a kicker who can boot them out of the endzone, but only makes 60% 0f his FG's.

Like it or not, that is what Walsh is bringing to the field.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Walsh has the leg and rookies get better. No run backs takes a lot of pressure off our special teams line up.

WWBGD

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Was taking a kicker a wasted pick?
    I'm ok with taking a kicker, but scratch my head over why we would take one that doesn't appear to be anything special.
    Anyway, I assume Longwell will be cut despite his contract, providing the new guy doesn't stink up the pre-season like the last kicker they brought in.

I like the job Spielman did in general, but only time will tell if he has improved his ability to aquire talent in the mid to late rounds.

I think the team will be a little better this year, and much better in another year or two.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I must say i feel WAY better about this draft than the past two seasons draft.

The worst one was two years ago, when we traded out of the first round, and STILL somehow wound up with the same amount of draft picks. Last year was nothing special either.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If the picks at #118, 139 & 211 end up being busts, then the trade was moot. Lets see who he picks & see where they are in 3 years.

Anyone in "the rest of the sports world calling the Spielman trade the best trade of the draft" IMO are idiots. The best trade of the draft so far was done by the Rams.

How does swapping 1sts & acquiring a 4th, 5th & 7th even come close to swapping 1sts & acquiring two more 1st round picks in the next two years, plus a 2nd rounder this year?
    To use your logic from an earlier post, St. Louis did nothing either. Everyone knew they were not selecting RG3, so they just had to sit back and wait for the best deal to come in. Tell me what their GM did differently than ours did.

They just happened to lose more games than us, and waited for the best offer to come in. Great GM'ing there!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I must say i feel WAY better about this draft than the past two seasons draft.

The worst one was two years ago, when we traded out of the first round, and STILL somehow wound up with the same amount of draft picks. Last year was nothing special either.
    The onl.y reason you like it is because we were picking 3rd. Very easy to be pumped about the earlier players when you are picking so high. When you consider where we were drafting and the moves we made, we didn't have the wort draft but we did nothing special.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast