Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    In the end I feel that Spielman did a very good job of doing the things he can do to build a team. He used the picks we had to get talent that was projected to go higher than the slot we got them at. He has put a coaching staff in place that got the players last year to rebound from a 3-13 record to get to 10-6 and make the playoffs as well as nearly breaking one of the most coveted records on the books with the performance AP put in and that was done with a roster that had very little expectations going into the season.

Now, with any player you can never know how they will adapt to the NFL and the guys we took may or may not work out, but in the end that is really up to the players and whether they totally commit to the sport to become their best. He has taken the right players at the right spot to build a powerful,balanced team. It is up to the players to become the best they can be and the GM has no real control over that or a crystal ball to know if they will.

For that I think he did a very good job.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    In the end I feel that Spielman did a very good job of doing the things he can do to build a team. He used the picks we had to get talent that was projected to go higher than the slot we got them at. He has put a coaching staff in place that got the players last year to rebound from a 3-13 record to get to 10-6 and make the playoffs as well as nearly breaking one of the most coveted records on the books with the performance AP put in and that was done with a roster that had very little expectations going into the season.

Now, with any player you can never know how they will adapt to the NFL and the guys we took may or may not work out, but in the end that is really up to the players and whether they totally commit to the sport to become their best. He has taken the right players at the right spot to build a powerful,balanced team. It is up to the players to become the best they can be and the GM has no real control over that or a crystal ball to know if they will.

For that I think he did a very good job.
    Great post! I totally agree.

I think we are much better this year than last year. Most will say that the most dramatic change from last year is the loss of Harvin, but I think we actually got better. In return, we got Greg Jennings who is better than Harvin in the route-running and pass-catching department. Jennings is the Packers I've liked the most (and that list is very very short) and he has a personality far better than Harvin has.

Then we got CP (Cordarrelle Patterson) who fills in all the other holes Harvin left with his amazing running abilities. I think Harvin might be the best when talking about getting the first down, but CP has more big play touchdown abilities. In addition, CP can do punts, Harvin didn't do that for us.

Also, the reality is that we have won plenty of games without Harvin. I hated to see Harvin go because he's an amazing player, but the fact is that he had to go. He was cancer on the team. At the time I didn't think we would shore up the holes, but tell me that we would end up with Jennings and Cordarrelle and I would say "hasta-la-vista, Harvin!".

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Skum did not state a middle linebacker did not need to defend against the run; he stated that a middle linebacker needs to be able to defend against the pass.

A middle linebacker is able to defend the run or a middle linebacker is able to defend the pass. Both may be true or false. Skum stating a middle linebacker needs to be able to defend the pass does not mean that he stated a middle linebacker needs not to be able to defend against the run.

Your logic is non sequitur. It is affirming a disjunct because defending the pass and defending the run are not mutually exclusive properties of a middle linebacker.
    But our good friend did say this.....

thats very needed for a middle linebacker.
    Assumption on my part is that he stressed the "Pass coverage" by using the word very, which then warranted a response from me looking for clarification.

To think that one aspect of the Mike LB play is more important than the other is kindof, well, Gibberish.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Great post! I totally agree.

I think we are much better this year than last year. Most will say that the most dramatic change from last year is the loss of Harvin, but I think we actually got better. In return, we got Greg Jennings who is better than Harvin in the route-running and pass-catching department. Jennings is the Packers I've liked the most (and that list is very very short) and he has a personality far better than Harvin has.

Then we got CP (Cordarrelle Patterson) who fills in all the other holes Harvin left with his amazing running abilities. I think Harvin might be the best when talking about getting the first down, but CP has more big play touchdown abilities. In addition, CP can do punts, Harvin didn't do that for us.

Also, the reality is that we have won plenty of games without Harvin. I hated to see Harvin go because he's an amazing player, but the fact is that he had to go. He was cancer on the team. At the time I didn't think we would shore up the holes, but tell me that we would end up with Jennings and Cordarrelle and I would say "hasta-la-vista, Harvin!".
    I am on the same page as you. I think Harvin was a hell of an athlete but I really think he was not maybe the best fit in the offense when he had to share the load with AP and take a back seat to him in many ways. Seeing how dangerous Harvin was as a runner and a WR out of the backfield I feel he is the biggest asset to a club working close to the LOS as we used him, but we had AP for much of that. I think in Seattle they will use him more as a versatile back and less as a WR( of course i could be wrong) and we will see him be more productive.

But at the same time I think Jennings and patterson will make the passing game more versatile than Ponder and Jenkins did. Wright will be a fine slot WR and Simmons will share time with Patterson as he develops. This will make us more balanced and more dimensional on offense and we haven't even talked about Rudolph, who pretty much lit up the pro bowl and who I predict will have a hell of a season this year now that the line will be more mature and the WR's will take some pressure off the LOS.

Oh man, I can tell you flat out this is going to be one hell of a fun season. We may not be ready for the SB but I do feel we will win the division, kick the Packers asses twice and will make a serious dent in the playoffs with the big push coming next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am on the same page as you. I think Harvin was a hell of an athlete but I really think he was not maybe the best fit in the offense when he had to share the load with AP and take a back seat to him in many ways. Seeing how dangerous Harvin was as a runner and a WR out of the backfield I feel he is the biggest asset to a club working close to the LOS as we used him, but we had AP for much of that. I think in Seattle they will use him more as a versatile back and less as a WR( of course i could be wrong) and we will see him be more productive.

But at the same time I think Jennings and patterson will make the passing game more versatile than Ponder and Jenkins did. Wright will be a fine slot WR and Simmons will share time with Patterson as he develops. This will make us more balanced and more dimensional on offense and we haven't even talked about Rudolph, who pretty much lit up the pro bowl and who I predict will have a hell of a season this year now that the line will be more mature and the WR's will take some pressure off the LOS.

Oh man, I can tell you flat out this is going to be one hell of a fun season. We may not be ready for the SB but I do feel we will win the division, kick the Packers asses twice and will make a serious dent in the playoffs with the big push coming next year.
    Don't undervalue Wright and to a certain extent Simpson this year my friend.

Simpson -- Wrigth -- Matt-CJ-Sully-Fusco-Load -- Rudy -- Jennings

-------------------------Ponder
    --------------------------AD

Mix and match Patterson in at any position. By the end of the season I think we will see that player package alot and defenses will be wondering how the hell to defend it.

Gotta honor the speed on the outside first even with AD in the backfield (S/CB one side, CB the other), Wright coming out or running a end around (CB with zone LB help) Rudy working the opposite hash that Wright is working (S/LB).

Should leave 4 DLmen and one LB regardless of how many are in the box (pre snap) to stop AD or even Ponder if he wants to run a few times.

Man I'd love to be in Musgroves shoes this year. Damned if I couldn't get a few mismatches out of that player package.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Mix and match Patterson in at any position.
    Sorry, Marty, gotta call you on this one. Patterson would not do well at guard. Or tackle, for that matter. Maybe center...

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Sorry, Marty, gotta call you on this one. Patterson would not do well at guard. Or tackle, for that matter. Maybe center...
    LOL, I remember when I first joined the site and figured out who was who in the zoo and then started making posts that differentiated between DE's, DT's and eventually WR's.

I sure took alot of crap.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I sure took alot of crap.

And some things just never change

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    And some things just never change
    You know well enough that I like it and in some instances encourage it.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I sure wrote a lot of crap.
    Fixed it for you, Mar...

Caine

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast