Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think he did fine. In terms of QB, even if Ponder craps out the team is so young that they can go out and get one in the next few years and be fine.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The only thing not there to like is the void left at MLB. I thought Rick would continue his wheeling & dealing to move up on day 2 & take one in the 2nd or 3rd, but I'm pretty sure he'll address it today with the 4th rounder. At least I'm hoping.

(Note to NP: This doesn't mean I hate Spielman because he didn't trade up & get a MLB yesterday, so don't fucking go there! Just thought I'd say that now to save you the time)
    I don't dislike either of the Penn State kids the Vikes picked up later. Both show some potential, with Mauti being one of those risk/reward players Spielman likes.

Suprised we went for a Punter...Kluwe's whiteboard must be irritating some folks...

the biggest boost for us is the influx of WR talent. This removes the excuses for Ponder and allows us to see what we REALLY have.

Caine

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think he did fine. In terms of QB, even if Ponder craps out the team is so young that they can go out and get one in the next few years and be fine.
    First off, I hope he does not crap out. I defended him early on, but I have not seen improvement on his throwing capability.

Seattle got lucky with Russel Wilson, but the staff also has coaches that develop players really well. How much of Ponder's woes are his own, and how much are coaching, I do not know.

Time? I used to think that, but Peterson's window is closing soon enough, and there are only so many chances per go around. Damn that Brett Favre throw and that Anderson kick: two chances sunk in the icy waters of professional football history.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I agree, MLB was a big need. But considering how far some of the "top" MLBs slid, I don't know if the value was really there in any of them. We'll see who we get today, and what happens in the rest of FA. I suspect Erin will be moved to MLB this year and we will fill in the OLB with either a draft pick or a veteran. Not the ideal solution, but with as many holes as we had I don't see how we could have filled them all in one season.

I AM starting to feel more and more that releasing Brinkley was a mistake, but c'est la vie.
    I am still a bit perplexed at what we elect to hack on our FO pukes for when this is really the biggest issue out there.

Spielman (and company) really missed the mark when elected to let Jasper go. Maybe it was to hard to get him for one year, but I think they could have if they really wanted to....

3/14/2013: Signed a two-year, $3.5 million contract. The deal included a $400,000 signing bonus. Brinkley is eligible for an annual $150,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $1.05 million, 2014: $1.75 million, 2015: Free Agent
    Spielman: How do you like me now?!

I don't doubt that Spielman (and company) had a plan, but I bet that plan didn't include two highly ranked players falling into their lap which would cost them drafting one of 2 or 3 players that could come in and start right away.

I think as we got closer and closer to the draft, they started to think it might happen and that is what started a few of these things to come out.............

Scout.com: Vikings GM says Henderson could move to MLB

......in an effort to quiet the masses if it happened.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Hope Henderson does not move to MLB, his is a great run defender but lacks covarge ability and thats very needed for a middle linebacker..

Hope Mauti checks out and starts day 1.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    Hope Henderson does not move to MLB, his is a great run defender but lacks covarge ability and thats very needed for a middle linebacker..

Hope Mauti checks out and starts day 1.
    So our MLB doesn't have to play the run?

In the end, its important that our MLB can play both the run and the pass. You line a guy up in the middle that can't stop the run and you will stop the pass cause they won't have to. They will just run the ball against us all the time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

In the end, its important that our MLB can play both the run and the pass. You line a guy up in the middle that can't stop the run and you will stop the pass cause they won't have to. They will just run the ball against us all the time.
    Nice to see you coming around. Would you say they are equally important? Careful now.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Nice to see you coming around. Would you say they are equally important? Careful now.
    Yes I will with no hesitation.

Most on here automatically think that the ability to play pass is more important. In the end, it isn't or, as I said, teams would just line up and run against us all day and not even have to worry about passing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I will say one thing. The Packers told the world in their draft this year that the the demise of the running game in the NFL is premature.

I think after watching AP run over them last year they understand that they have to bring some balance back to their offense and that they need to run the ball more and be able to take time off the clock. Along with that it better send a message to the Vikings that they need to make sure they don't slip any farther down the run defense spreadsheet.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    Hope Henderson does not move to MLB, his is a great run defender but lacks covarge ability and thats very needed for a middle linebacker.

Skum did not state a middle linebacker did not need to defend against the run; he stated that a middle linebacker needs to be able to defend against the pass.

A middle linebacker is able to defend the run or a middle linebacker is able to defend the pass. Both may be true or false. Skum stating a middle linebacker needs to be able to defend the pass does not mean that he stated a middle linebacker needs not to be able to defend against the run.

Your logic is non sequitur. It is affirming a disjunct because defending the pass and defending the run are not mutually exclusive properties of a middle linebacker.