Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Pretty sure this was the general reaction of the Vikings organization after the first round.

HOT DAMN THIS IS FUNNY!!!!!!
    Sobering up after being punch drunk Thursday night I realized that we needed more help at MLB than we did at WR, imo. Is Patterson this good to warrant giving much away to trade up for him? Most had the Vikings picking Patterson before the Harvin trade so this guy had to be targeted from the start. So, is this kid going to be this good?
    I really wanted Ogletree. And that would have made more sense to me but they must see something that warranted the trade for the WR. The Vikes sure did put a lot on this kid. I hope that it works out. It would have been a trifecta for me if they would have went with MLB instead of WR, seeing as now the top 5 or more MLB's are off the board and we traded away the chance to get one. Have we had a decent MLB since Ed McDaniel? Is there a gem/unknown out there still?

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    Sobering up after being punch drunk Thursday night I realized that we needed more help at MLB than we did at WR, imo. Is Patterson this good to warrant giving much away to trade up for him? Most had the Vikings picking Patterson before the Harvin trade so this guy had to be targeted from the start. So, is this kid going to be this good? The Vikes sure did put a lot on this kid.
    Patterson has physical skills. The Vikings gave up the value chart points for the pick. They are down a 3rd, 4th, and 7th pick, ... so really two mid picks and a tosser. That is two players with a good chance to make the team potentially lost. Is Patterson worth it? I hope so, but we will not know until a few seasons from now.

I really wanted Ogletree. And that would have made more sense to me but they must see something that warranted the trade for the WR. I hope that it works out. It would have been a trifecta for me if they would have went with MLB instead of WR, seeing as now the top 5 or more MLB's are off the board and we traded away the chance to get one. Have we had a decent MLB since Ed McDaniel? Is there a gem/unknown out there still?
    I was hoping for Ogletree as well. We cannot get everyone we want, but MLB was a big need.

Henderson? I do not think so.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    There you go again flying off the handle claiming BS when I've said multiple times already I liked this draft & what Spielman did & the only thing I didn't care for was how much we gave up to move into that 3rd pick. Perhaps you need to read more before jumping to conclusions.

TW was wondering if Frazier was involved anymore with the draft since he hadn't heard his name mentioned. I replied that there were personnel there helping which was evident because the trade with the Patriots was going on when Spielman was in his presser. I also went on to say he was called back in to complete the deal (because as GM, that's what he does as well as determine what we give up). I also said that Frasier might have been part of that team, but I didn't think so because I thought he'd be at the Vikings draft party (but I wasn't sure)

Leave it to you to try twist & suck out some negativity out of it & throw it back in my face.
    Nobody is twisting anything. You DO try and find the black lining to every silver cloud, especially when it comes to Spielman.

TW said
    With MN it's clear the Rick is making the decisions. No doubt Frazier has input, but it looks like Rick is given a lot of latitude to run things as he sees fit.
    to which you replied
    What the latest talk is Spielman was in a conference talking about our first two picks and wasn't even aware of the trade deal with the Patriots that was in the works with the team.
    Do you really not see it? Maybe you don't, I can concede that. It is probably more subconscious than anything else, but don't get your undies in a wad when you get called out on it. Feel free to call me out whenever I am being unrealistically optimistic (and there are plenty of times, so it should be easy).
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Patterson has physical skills. The Vikings gave up the value chart points for the pick. They are down a 3rd, 4th, and 7th pick, ... so really two mid picks and a tosser. That is two players with a good chance to make the team potentially lost. Is Patterson worth it? I hope so, but we will not know until a few seasons from now.

I was hoping for Ogletree as well. We cannot get everyone we want, but MLB was a big need.

Henderson? I do not think so.
    I agree, MLB was a big need. But considering how far some of the "top" MLBs slid, I don't know if the value was really there in any of them. We'll see who we get today, and what happens in the rest of FA. I suspect Erin will be moved to MLB this year and we will fill in the OLB with either a draft pick or a veteran. Not the ideal solution, but with as many holes as we had I don't see how we could have filled them all in one season.

I AM starting to feel more and more that releasing Brinkley was a mistake, but c'est la vie.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    There you go again flying off the handle claiming BS when I've said multiple times already I liked this draft & what Spielman did & the only thing I didn't care for was how much we gave up to move into that 3rd pick. Perhaps you need to read more before jumping to conclusions.
    I kind of felt that way too singer. I like the picks we got. Patterson was the top receiver on most boards since last season ended.(Austin was a more recent riser). But I felt we could have moved up into the high second round picks cheaper and still grabbed a high quality WR that would help us this year. That said, I still think Spielman did an excellent job. Three picks that were among the top 15 on many mocks was unthinkable to me when this draft started. Whether or not they pan out we will not know for a couple of years, but they were great value for us.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I agree, MLB was a big need. But considering how far some of the "top" MLBs slid, I don't know if the value was really there in any of them. We'll see who we get today, and what happens in the rest of FA. I suspect Erin will be moved to MLB this year and we will fill in the OLB with either a draft pick or a veteran. Not the ideal solution, but with as many holes as we had I don't see how we could have filled them all in one season.

I AM starting to feel more and more that releasing Brinkley was a mistake, but c'est la vie.
    The top MLB'ers in this years draft had measurables that weren't much different than Coles. Ogletree was faster but likely a better fit as an outside linebacker and has significant off field risk.
    Next year may be a better time to draft a MLB.

This year will be make do year.
    Perhaps Erin moved to the middle, Cole or Dean given reps, a vet FA brought in, or a nlate round gem from this draft.

Any way they chose to go, I'm not as concerned as some that it will work out.
    I'm delighted with this off season so far and see a bright future for this team.

Spielman seems to be aging a like a fine wine. Hope he finds some gems today.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

ILB taken:
    Vikings 1st round Pick right here before Ogletree.
    Alec Ogletree-----ILB---Georgia---(30)---St. Louis

Manti Te'o-------ILB---Notre Dame-(38)---San Diego
    Kevin Minter------ILB---LSU-------(45)---Arizona
    Kiko Alonso------ILB---Oregon----(46)---Buffalo
    Jonathan Bostic---ILB---Florida-----(50)---Chicago
    Vikings second round pick would have been here at 52 overall
    Nico Johnson-----ILB---Alabama---(99)---Kansas City

OLB
    Dion Jordan----OLB Oregon 1 3(3) Miami
    Jarvis Jones-----OLB Georgia 1 17(17) Pittsburgh
    Vikings 1st round Pick in between here.
    Vikings 2nd round pick would have been here, this New England pick was ours.
    Jamie Collins----OLB---Southern Miss---(52)---New England

Arthur Brown----OLB Kansas State 2 24(56) Baltimore
    Sio Moore-------OLB Connecticut 3 4(66) Oakland
    Zaviar Gooden---OLB Missouri 3 35(97) Tennessee
    Khaseem Greene-OLB Rutgers 4 20(117) Chicago
    Chicago took two LBs off the board before we could pick again.
    Gerald Hodges--OLB---Penn State---(120)---Minnesota
    Jelani Jenkins-----OLB Florida 4 7(104) Miami
    Steven Means-----OLB Buffalo 5 14(147) Tampa Bay
    Sean Porter-------OLB Texas A&M 4 21(118) Cincinnati

Ya, I still like the Patterson pick instead of LB. I think there is a stop gap for this year even if it isn't Henderson, we can find something. Patterson should help us on special teams and possible get in the mix of WRs too depending on how fast he picks things up.
    Last edited by snowinapril; 04-27-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spacing

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Nobody is twisting anything. You DO try and find the black lining to every silver cloud, especially when it comes to Spielman.

TW said

to which you replied

Do you really not see it? Maybe you don't, I can concede that. It is probably more subconscious than anything else, but don't get your undies in a wad when you get called out on it. Feel free to call me out whenever I am being unrealistically optimistic (and there are plenty of times, so it should be easy).
    I can see where you could pull negativity out of that one whether it be subconsciously or consciously, especially when you and a few others continually look for the negativity in my posts.

I had a funny feeling it might be taken the wrong way, but I felt it wouldn't since previously, more than once I posted I was happy with the picks Spielman made. Had he not taken Floyd like I hoped he would when he fell to us at #23, I would have been upset about it. I also know if Spielman hadn't picked him & I voiced my displeasure with it, some people would have jumped down my throat for it anyways calling me a hater.

I don't try and find the black lining in a silver cloud. If the cloud is silver, I say it's silver. If I feel the cloud is black, I'm not afraid to say it's black. Meanwhile, others will try and paint that black cloud silver anyway they can, rather than say maybe he didn't do so well on that one.

Back to the original point about Frasier, it was clear that Spielman wasn't alone working the draft & it was obvious that the team helping him on draft day weren't the decision makers, thus calling Spielman back in to make the trade decisions to either agree to what the Patriots wanted or counter offer on what we were willing to give up & then work a compromise & pull the trigger.

Frasier, I felt was back at the draft party & not part of that team, but I wasn't sure. At the same time however, I'm not naive enough to believe the war room back in Minneapolis was shut down for the next 3 days with Studwell and the rest of his team all on vacation & Spielman was flying solo those 3 days with a team of team of schleps who otherwise work part time as telethon phone operators. There's a lot of other "leg" work, fielding offers, research & number crunching being done while the draft is going on.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-28-2013 at 08:52 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I don't try and find the black lining in a silver cloud. If the cloud is silver, I say it's silver. If I feel the cloud is black, I'm not afraid to say it's black. Meanwhile, others will try and paint that black cloud silver anyway they can, rather than say maybe he didn't do so well on that one.
    All clouds are shades of gray.

WWBGD

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    How do I like you, Spielman?

The NFL is a quarterback league, and the Vikings quarterback, who you drafted in the top half of the draft, was the second worst ranked QB in YPA in the NFL last season, and his average target depth from scrimmage was an NFL worst. The QB was so bad that our best receiver wanted to be traded.

While better teams are loading up with quality backups, you decide that the Vikings needed to pick up a veteran who busted with another team and throws picks like a clown throwing candy from a parade float.

If you bust at QB, you bust. Let us hope you see something there that we have not yet seen because it does not look good.

Nice picks last year. Kudos for that, but you will go down in a burning Viking ship if the quarterback goes up in flames.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast