Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 278
  1. #231
    TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,308
    the FO scored!!! Yeah, THEY SCORED!!! The whole organization deserves all the credit in the world. The draft went well. DIdnt jump the gun or reached, stayed back and was patient and it paid off handsomely. Building quite a team around AP. Hope that it will pay off, AP deserves a championship....in purple, Viking purple!

  2. #232
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    84
    Hard to argue with this draft. I'd say if you grab three starters out if a draft it's typically a success. Given we have one from Harvin we essentially added two starters net gain. If we can get just one more starter with a pick from 4th-7th x2 it will be a A- draft at least and an A+ if Patterson becomes a star one day.

    More than anything, I'm just impressed Spielman cut loose Harvin, Winfield and three middle picks, but essentially replaced both with cheap 1st rounders, signed Jennings, resigned almost all our depth AND got a very highly rated DT tailor made for our scheme.

    Still a hole or two, but 2014/Jan 2015 is what I see as the potential title run year when AD might be returning to human form.

  3. #233
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    The Good:
    The FO nab several top flight prospects with potential
    Top 3 DT, Top 3 Corner, Top 3 WR.
    I give Spielman credit, Although, Spielman had nothing to to with the trade as he was in an interview when he received a call and had to run and leave the interview to get back to the war room.

    The bad. With 2 first rounders and a 2nd , you should nab 3 starters.
    We managed to nab not just 3 starters but 3 potential stars.
    However, to get the third, we spent a boatload. We gave up a 3rd ( the 2nd doesn't count because we would have spent it on that player anyway) a top 5 4th and a 7th. In this draft a 3rd and 4th should net you 2 special players. I think that is a fail. I would have much rather we give up our bottom 4th and a 6th or 5th than to give up a High 4th.

    With that said..... I chose to look at the draft this way....
    We traded up a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th to draft Floyd in the top 5.
    The other choices were drafted 23rd and 25th. If you look at it that way, it looks a lot better.

  4. #234
    RK.'s Avatar
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    4,443
    I think we have had a great first round. However I think Spielman was as surprised as anybody that Floyd was there and #23. Totally unexpected and as a result he had to change his plans on the fly about getting a MLB. But great job of moving in another direction based on what fell to us.

    WWBGD

  5. #235
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Pretty sure this was the general reaction of the Vikings organization after the first round.

    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #236
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,216
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Pretty sure this was the general reaction of the Vikings organization after the first round.

    LOL! LOve that!

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #237
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,216
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Oh for crying out loud.

    Seriously? Does it ever get tiring to have to work this hard to dislike someone?

    Yes, Spielman had to get pulled out of a press conference to complete the trade. No, that doesn't mean he "wasn't even aware of the trade deal with the Patriots that was in the works."

    Here is the presser:
    Spielman Discusses The Three First Round Picks

    He actually addresses it, saying the he had told some guys to work the phones, and he even admits that he wasn't expecting it to actually happen. Basically he left his team with instructions of what he wanted and let them do their jobs and work the phones - probably with several teams. It was both his vision and his decision to trade back into the first round.

    As far as Frazier's location, he was in Winter Park during the draft.
    There you go again flying off the handle claiming BS when I've said multiple times already I liked this draft & what Spielman did & the only thing I didn't care for was how much we gave up to move into that 3rd pick. Perhaps you need to read more before jumping to conclusions.

    TW was wondering if Frazier was involved anymore with the draft since he hadn't heard his name mentioned. I replied that there were personnel there helping which was evident because the trade with the Patriots was going on when Spielman was in his presser. I also went on to say he was called back in to complete the deal (because as GM, that's what he does as well as determine what we give up). I also said that Frasier might have been part of that team, but I didn't think so because I thought he'd be at the Vikings draft party (but I wasn't sure)

    Leave it to you to try twist & suck out some negativity out of it & throw it back in my face.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #238
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I think this years draft makes the decision to draft Kalil last year a good one. We could not have gotten one of the top tackles in this years draft.
    Despite what some fans around here think, most in the NFL believe LT is worth an early pick.
    I too like the picks, but take a moment and look at where all of the ELITE LT's are.

    Now look at the Elite TEAMS, and name their LT's.

    IN the MAJORITY of cases, the Elite LT's play for crap teams (Miami, Cleveland), while Elite teams have LT's you can't name easily.

    From where I sit, the whole "you need an elite LT" line hasn't really played out as true. I would have rather gotten a WR or a DT last season, and picked up a solid LT later.

    HOWEVER, the Vikings FINALLY addressed that gaping hole at WR with a huge FA signing and a great draft selection - I'm VERY happy about that.

    And taking steps to replace Williams, as well as bolstering our Secondary...


    What's not to love?

    Caine

  9. #239
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,216
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    the FO scored!!! Yeah, THEY SCORED!!! The whole organization deserves all the credit in the world. The draft went well. DIdnt jump the gun or reached, stayed back and was patient and it paid off handsomely. Building quite a team around AP. Hope that it will pay off, AP deserves a championship....in purple, Viking purple!
    +1,

    But if I had said it that way, NP & PF would have been jumping down my throat calling me Mr. Negativity & a Spielman hater because I'm not giving just Spielman all the credit in the world.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #240
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I too like the picks, but take a moment and look at where all of the ELITE LT's are.

    Now look at the Elite TEAMS, and name their LT's.

    IN the MAJORITY of cases, the Elite LT's play for crap teams (Miami, Cleveland), while Elite teams have LT's you can't name easily.

    From where I sit, the whole "you need an elite LT" line hasn't really played out as true. I would have rather gotten a WR or a DT last season, and picked up a solid LT later.

    HOWEVER, the Vikings FINALLY addressed that gaping hole at WR with a huge FA signing and a great draft selection - I'm VERY happy about that.

    And taking steps to replace Williams, as well as bolstering our Secondary...


    What's not to love?

    Caine

    The only thing not there to like is the void left at MLB. I thought Rick would continue his wheeling & dealing to move up on day 2 & take one in the 2nd or 3rd, but I'm pretty sure he'll address it today with the 4th rounder. At least I'm hoping.

    (Note to NP: This doesn't mean I hate Spielman because he didn't trade up & get a MLB yesterday, so don't fucking go there! Just thought I'd say that now to save you the time)

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •