Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Marr, he is convinced Spielman had nothing to do with the trade, and there is nothing you can say to convince him otherwise. I am not on the RS bandwagon yet, but I will give him a chance to see how well he did now that Chilly is not calling the shots anymore.
    Have you been paying attention to what Marr has been saying? Marr is trying to convince people that the whole smokescreen set up by Spielman was not to get more for our #3 pick, but it was set up weeks in advance to get drum up interest & trade offers for the #4 pick that we hadn't even traded for yet.

Marr himself agreed the first trade was a no-brainer.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Have you been paying attention to what Marr has been saying? Marr is trying to convince people that the whole smokescreen set up by Spielman was not to get more for our #3 pick, but it was set up weeks in advance to get drum up interest & trade offers for the #4 pick that we hadn't even traded for yet.

Marr himself agreed the first trade was a no-brainer.
    I actually thought I would get some reaction from marr on the Chilly isn't calling the shots anymore comment.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    In this league defense does not matter to the degree that offense does. Its no longer about shutting down a team. It is now about stopping a team more times than they can stop your offense. Until we build a high powered offense we will continue to lose games. We should have addressed WR much earlier in the draft that falls to Rick. If a team like the Giants who have two wrs better than our starter can see the need to draft a 3rd wr in the 2nd round...its foolish for us to wait for the 4th to do so. Bengals? are a team who's WR situation was similar to ours: 1 star with nobody behind him and they drafted two WRs

Did we scout any other teams than ND, USC and Ark?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    In this league defense does not matter to the degree that offense does. Its no longer about shutting down a team. It is now about stopping a team more times than they can stop your offense. Until we build a high powered offense we will continue to lose games. We should have addressed WR much earlier in the draft that falls to Rick. If a team like the Giants who have two wrs better than our starter can see the need to draft a 3rd wr in the 2nd round...its foolish for us to wait for the 4th to do so. Bengals? are a team who's WR situation was similar to ours: 1 star with nobody behind him and they drafted two WRs

I hear what you're saying... but the fact remains that we had a lot of holes to fill, and it was going to take more than one year to fill them. As each pick came up, the Vikings had to look at all of their holes, and pick the BPA that filled one of those holes. For instance - I agree, WR was a bigger need than safety - but I also think that Smith was a better player at safety than any of the available WRs were. I think we can be realistically confident that we filled that hole, whereas any WR from this years draft we picked in the same spot would have been more questionable.

No matter what we did, we weren't going to win the NFC north this year. Like it or not, we are rebuilding, and that will take a couple of years. I think that WR will again be a position of need next year, and perhaps we will be in a better position to select one in the first round in 2013...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I hear what you're saying... but the fact remains that we had a lot of holes to fill, and it was going to take more than one year to fill them. As each pick came up, the Vikings had to look at all of their holes, and pick the BPA that filled one of those holes. For instance - I agree, WR was a bigger need than safety - but I also think that Smith was a better player at safety than any of the available WRs were. I think we can be realistically confident that we filled that hole, whereas any WR from this years draft we picked in the same spot would have been more questionable.

No matter what we did, we weren't going to win the NFC north this year. Like it or not, we are rebuilding, and that will take a couple of years. I think that WR will again be a position of need next year, and perhaps we will be in a better position to select one in the first round in 2013...
    I was ok with the Smith pick but a move needed to be made in the 3rd. Robinson is fast and has blazing speed but how many of those 3rd round CBs have we missed on. AA, MM to name a a few. I know we aren't expected to compete but I have no faith in us developing talent.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    [QUOTE=kevoncox;1124182]I was ok with the Smith pick but a move needed to be made in the 3rd. Robinson is fast and has blazing speed but how many of those 3rd round CBs have we missed on. AA, MM to name a a few. I know we aren't expected to compete but I have no faith in us developing talent.[/QUOTE]

I think RS did a good job drafting this year, we have some real gems if they pan out, getting Guyton in the seventh I think is a real steal and he may make the roster and Cole as well. If your 7th round pick sticks there are only two scenarios, you did a good job drafting or your team really sucks, you can make that choice. Childs will be a better pro IMO than Hill if he is truly healthy. Plus we got a back up to Harvin who is oft injured and when he is not he is always a question mark because of his migranes. I really think this is the best draft we have had in several years.

Having said that I totally agree with the bolded statement and I think some may not pan out because of coaching and not because they have no talent. If we could coach them up we would have a new starting LT, S, CB, K, WR and maybe ILB. We would have improved our depth at SL, D-line (Guyton can play all along the d-line), ILB (if Cole doesn't win a starting pos. which I don't think he will but he has potential; he will be a decent backup) and Hback. That looks like a pretty good draft if the all work out. I know that never happens in the draft but you never who is going to step up and who is going to choke or not get coached up. If we have 5 new starters and some depth I would be very happy with this draft. If we could do that two more times we would have fifteen new starters in three years that is almost the whole team.

Remember we have JA, KW, AP, Sully, CG, PH. So we only need 15 players to improve the team dramatically, so two more years of quality drafting and we could be once again competing for a SB.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Honestly don't think we did. Not sure if we cut-back on scouting to save money, but it's embarrassing how obvious we drafted through nepitism rather than talent.

Our scouts must have buddy's at those schools, because there's no way an NFL team takes so many players from only 3 mediocre programs.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    At least the weren't bringing every ex Eagle that Reid kicked to the curb.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Honestly don't think we did. Not sure if we cut-back on scouting to save money, but it's embarrassing how obvious we drafted through nepitism rather than talent.

Our scouts must have buddy's at those schools, because there's no way an NFL team takes so many players from only 3 mediocre programs.
    At least they didn't completely cut the travel expenses and make them focus on the local juggernaut's of Minnesota, Iowa State and North Dakota State.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Press Conference: Spielman Discusses The Three First Round Picks

The best part is at 05:00. Spielman is like "one sec, guys..." and comes back just drafted a third guy in the first round. Like a boss!

After watching some interviews with Spielman I'm thinking this is a smart cat. He's really careful of what he's saying and likes to play some mind games.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast