Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 278
  1. #201
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    +1

    People don't seem to get that.

    Unless our defense can stop opponents from scoring pretty much at will, a long drawn out scoring drive, outside of giving the defense more rest, doesn't do much for our team, unless our offense is better than theirs. Especially if our team is trying to play catch up.
    Our defense gave up long scoring drives not because of our scheme, but because we couldn't force a team to be one dimensional.

    Lets not forget, not only couldn't we stop the pass but we couldn't stop the run either.

    Both problems, like it or not, have nothing to do with the secondary, but everything to do with piss poor play at the DT position.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #202
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Wouldn't we have been better off drafting a receiver with the potential to start on the outside BEFORE we drafted Percy's backup?
    I think we solved that little issue when we signed Simpson or don't you consider him a starter? Again you have to take into account the scheme (player packages) we see the O-coord use.....

    5 - OL
    1 - QB
    2 - TE's
    2 - RB/FB
    1 - WR (Percy)

    Even if he gets out of that mindset, he doesn't shift far and goes with a set like

    5 - OL
    1 - QB
    2 - TE's
    1 - RB/FB
    2 - WR (Percy/Simpson)

    Having said all of that, what WR could have we drafted that you consider a better pro-ready to start than either Percy or Simpson and were would have you taken him?

    Nope, I think we did a smart thing by adding Simpson in FA (cheap), drafting Kalil, fixing the secondary, and taking alot of reps off of Percy by drafting someone who can return the ball as well as a cat that can come in and give Percy a blow when he needs it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #203
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Sigh. So if the interest was already there (which we both agree on), ole Ricky boy didn't have to do anything......cleveland and Tampa traded phone calls between them and figured out who was going to give us the most I guess.



    Again, I agree, but now we start talking about the next trade.


    Was I personally on the phone? Nope, but the talks were going on none the less even though you don't want to agree.

    Again, if you to just google Blount and Richardson together and you will see how active they were just for Richardson, after that was going to fall through, they were then after Claiborne, again, just take a look at what has happened in their secondary (jail/retirements/CB to S ect),

    If you don't think that Spielman was working them by talking about his interest in Claiborne, then as you say, I wasn't on the phone, but there is enough jibber jabber out there that makes me pretty sure it was happening.

    Besides, you just like to throw the (you have no proof) card out there when you know your getting at the end of your defense. Just relax. Enjoy the discussion, cause thats all it is, is a discussion.

    In the end, none of us have any proof for the stuff we spew out. Thats why its called a Discussion site.


    Again, I said, here is were you can hack on him if you like because he missed the boat on Dallas.

    Were am I failing in getting this across to you?


    I don't need prep. Your best move is probably scholars mate......snicker....
    Marr, he is convinced Spielman had nothing to do with the trade, and there is nothing you can say to convince him otherwise. I am not on the RS bandwagon yet, but I will give him a chance to see how well he did now that Chilly is not calling the shots anymore.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  4. #204
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If the Bucs were interested in Richardson because Blount cannot pass block and makes their offense 1 dimensional/predictable, why weren't we interested in him as well?
    I know your trying to be funny, but I have an answer.....TOBY TOBY TOBY.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #205
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think we solved that little issue when we signed Simpson or don't you consider him a starter? Again you have to take into account the scheme (player packages) we see the O-coord use.....

    5 - OL
    1 - QB
    2 - TE's
    2 - RB/FB
    1 - WR (Percy)

    Even if he gets out of that mindset, he doesn't shift far and goes with a set like

    5 - OL
    1 - QB
    2 - TE's
    1 - RB/FB
    2 - WR (Percy/Simpson)

    Having said all of that, what WR could have we drafted that you consider a better pro-ready to start than either Percy or Simpson and were would have you taken him?

    Nope, I think we did a smart thing by adding Simpson in FA (cheap), drafting Kalil, fixing the secondary, and taking alot of reps off of Percy by drafting someone who can return the ball as well as a cat that can come in and give Percy a blow when he needs it.
    I was really hoping for Sanu in the third. I probably would have taken Toon as our first receiver in the forth.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  6. #206
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It will be interesting to watch.

    Personally I don't see the ball control offense and the T2 defense with bad secondaries as any type of formula for success but maybe they will prove that it is. I still feel if you are going ground control, low scoring, clock management style on offense you need an elite defense to limit the points you are giving up. Especially when the teams in your division are pretty much scoring at will against you.
    Do you think we are going to run the T2? Based on our new D-coords history and the type of S's we just drafted I'm of a mind we are going to run more of a C2/C3.

    Blanton will be the key here. His speed should allow him to give help which will allow Smith to cheat up were the Mike should be a bit more. In short, because we lack ass in the middle of the line, we will compensate by playing our S and Mike out of position a bit.

    Whats going to be hard is watching Blanton, Smith and Jasper figure this out. Lets hope our new D-coord has a plan, if in fact the scheme he will run.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #207
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I was really hoping for Sanu in the third. I probably would have taken Toon as our first receiver in the forth.
    I liked both of them and had them taking Sanu but in the end, I don't think either of them is better than Simpson right now.

    Maybe in a couple of years, but not right now. Besides, I really like Childs. Somehow he slipped through the cracks for me. I need to start looking at players that have down years to see a) Why and b) what did they do the previous year.

    Cat looks like he is a freak when healthy and he is healthy now.

    Again, I think our WR corps (starters) was set before the draft allowing us to go after a couple of cats later in the draft after we fixed other positions.

    On a side note, I do think he waited to long to get a backup to Jasper though, even though I like the kid they took.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #208
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Do you think we are going to run the T2? Based on our new D-coords history and the type of S's we just drafted I'm of a mind we are going to run more of a C2/C3.

    Blanton will be the key here. His speed should allow him to give help which will allow Smith to cheat up were the Mike should be a bit more. In short, because we lack ass in the middle of the line, we will compensate by playing our S and Mike out of position a bit.

    Whats going to be hard is watching Blanton, Smith and Jasper figure this out. Lets hope our new D-coord has a plan, if in fact the scheme he will run.
    Whether it is the T2 or the C2 the point is the same. we have a long history of giving soft cushions because we don't draft the talent to do anything except that.

    I also disagree with your assessment of the DT situation. Even when we had Williams in his prime and doing what a war pig is supposed to do we had a shitty secondary. The problems we have had both against the pass and the run are more of a product of the play at MLB because EJ was rarely above average against the run and was never close to average in the pass and the MLB has a huge responsibility in both phases. much more than your war pig.

    To run a C2/T2 defense you basically understand that you are doing it because you have deficient talent in the secondary and you are going to try to mask that deficiency by putting the players in positions that help to minimize their shortcomings. mainly the lack of ability to cover a WR man on man.

    Our problem is since Dungy we have not had a coach who was good enough to know where to put the players and how to get them to work in this type of system. you can bitch about the Dl all you want but when we lead the league in sacks, get the pressure we do and still set an NFL record for ineptness in the secondary the blame does not lie at the feet of the DT.

  9. #209
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Our defense gave up long scoring drives not because of our scheme, but because we couldn't force a team to be one dimensional.




    Lets not forget, not only couldn't we stop the pass but we couldn't stop the run either.

    Both problems, like it or not, have nothing to do with the secondary, but everything to do with piss poor play at the DT position.
    The reason that we didn't make anyone one dimensional is because any team could pass on our LB's and secondary at will so there was no reason to do anything else. A DT was not going to change that enough to tip the scales. A shutdown CB who could take away half of the field could have.next.

  10. #210
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664
    It's a fine balance between a good DL and good DBs. At least when it comes down to stopping the pass and forcing teams to be one dimensional. I don't believe the burden lies on any one position group.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •