Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    From Spielman:

When watching his highlights (of course they are highlights), the one thing that jumps out at you is how well he reads the play and gets in to position. He may have been burned many times for making bad reads, but that tape isn't out there.

If you collected 2 years worth of highlights from our safeties, I doubt you would find them reading the plays as effectively as what was shown on this guy. This is what we need beyond anything else from our safeties. Good instincts along with the range to get into position.

Looks like a smart pick to me. And I wouldn't get hung up on the he's more of a strong safety than a free safety. In cover 2, safeties are generally more of a hybrid between the two and I think Smith is very much that kind of guy. Equally capable of defending the pass (zone) or a run.
    Harrison Smith vs Stanford 2011 - YouTube
    Some poor reads and moves here, the worst at 1:51
    However, I like the guy.

The biggest issue people have always Rick is round 2-5. No one has ever stated he cannot hit a home run on the 1st round ( easy picks). Its to early to call it a success. While Speilman did his best to sell all three players, I don't give him that much credit for the TB and Cle's need to trade up to get an amazing running back. Playing them off each other is easy. How much convincing did Cleveland really need to protect their pick from TB? So far I give him an A for picking the right players but he is far from a Genius draft day guru for what he did.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Even I will give this guy some major respect for the first round yesterday. Although he has always had success with his higher picks. I really want to see what he ends up doing tonight and tomorrow. That will be the true test. But if today and tomorrow are anything like last night, I will gladly eat crow.
    First of all, it was always the TOA in charge of drafts, with Childress sticking his nose in business too. This is the first time that we can evaluate Spielman by himself with the Vikings, and so far he's done amazing.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    I am eating a little crow today. Spielman pulled out a spectacular first round. I will gladly eat more crow if he can continue this trend. I am hoping he puts together a couple of picks and hops back in the 2nd since we still have 10 picks left.

Regardless, nice round 1.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Nice first round.

I'm not putting him at Jim Finks level yet.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    I am pleased with what Spielman did so far. It will take a bit to warm up to the Smith move, but I am glad we are addressing issues in the secondary. whether or not anyone is impressed with the Browns deal, he DID get them to pull the trigger. Who knows for sure if there was interest there, it was slick as snake oil to pull it off.
    The new rookie wage scale has made things so much more interesting and as drafts go by there will much bally-hoo, misdirection, clandestine meetings, and back-alley deals to gain advantage and prod like cattle war rooms to move up and down like an elevator in a high-rise brothel.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    I like the picks so far. I wanted us to draft Hill when we moved back into the first round but Smith is a good pick. I dont think interceptions are as important as angles for our safeties in this system. We had Sharper who was a great ball hawk but when we switched to the tampa 2 defense he went downhill fast because he couldn't get the right angle for the life of him.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Harrison Smith vs Stanford 2011 - YouTube
    Some poor reads and moves here, the worst at 1:51
    However, I like the guy.

The biggest issue people have always Rick is round 2-5. No one has ever stated he cannot hit a home run on the 1st round ( easy picks). Its to early to call it a success. While Speilman did his best to sell all three players, I don't give him that much credit for the TB and Cle's need to trade up to get an amazing running back. Playing them off each other is easy. How much convincing did Cleveland really need to protect their pick from TB? So far I give him an A for picking the right players but he is far from a Genius draft day guru for what he did.
    That was a pretty good game for him according to the video. One of his biggest knocks that I've read is his ability to play man coverage. He looked pretty good at the end of the clip when he should of had an INT against Luck. He plays the ball well.

He did get taken pretty bad by the RB at the 1:50 mark that you mentioned. I can see this as an issue for him if he's not in front of his opponent like on this play where he's chasing. Taller guy with average footspeed will have a hard time starting and stopping on a dime.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I felt he looked ok in that game. My biggest issue in what I saw was a lot of plays he was standing still and not attacking the ball. He seems to let the ball carrier come to him. Can't do that on the next level. You have to attack. Again, i like the pick.

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    If we were as dedicated to the Tampa 2 as you think, they wouldn't have reached for a SS.
    Our defensive zone scheme is pretty close to ND's. It's not quite a reach in that regard, but you make a fair point in that if a safety in a T2 scheme isn't all that important, why draft one so high. I would counter that with 2 words: Tyrell Johnson.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Who thinks this guy will get this done?

Me.

Already first draft under his control, and boom, nice moves.

I have stayed off the hate bandwagon; I won't vote him President yet but we have to acknowledge that with a real GM position in this team that he may well fit the bill.
    Apparently you have only been looking at round 1 of the draft & no further. He's also been responsible for FA.

Do you actually believe he got it done or will get it done in FA?

Look, the first pick & the extra picks were nice, but even if we didn't make the trade & kept our third pick & selected Kalil, Blackmon or Claiborne, he still would have looked good.

Hell Childress or Fran Foley would have looked like genius' for making that pick.

The Browns already knew what was being offered to the Vikings for the 3rd pick, so they offered more to get their guy & all Spielman had to do was accept their offer.

"I know exactly what was offered to Minnesota, so we knew we had to trade to get him if we wanted him," Heckert said at his press conference Thursday night, according to a transcript on the Cleveland Plain Dealer website. "I know that for a fact."
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...wns?source=rss

Round 3 didn't look that good with what he had for chances to move up given all our picks & he has yet to prove anything in the remainder of the draft.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast