Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Have whatever opinion you want - makes no difference to me. I agree with you regarding some of the 4th round decisions, and disagree with you regarding others, but that is also beside the point.

My point was that no matter what Spielman did, there would be people who complained about him. Had we drafted the way you wanted and drafted purely on talent with no regard to character, then people would have been complaining about that - especially during a stadium push.

You complain about us taking a kicker when there were "talents" like Travis Lewis out there. And yet let's see who makes the active roster and who doesn't. Hell, I would actually give the edge to the kicker. There were a lot of teams who felt that Lewis wasn't much of a talent - we went late in the 7th round after all. Arguing and complaining about 6th and 7th round picks is a little ridiculous seeing as they are pretty much a crap shoot regardless. So why not draft a kicker? what did he have to lose?
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I'd also like to note that we used a 6th round pick on a kicker... and not a particularly good kicker either. Walsh only connected on 21-of-35 field goals as a senior at Georgia, and went 17-for-31 from beyond 30 yards (54.8 percent).

How this guy got drafted at all is pretty mind boggling.
    I'm completely in agreement... yu can find plenty guys that can kick it outta the endzone on the FA wire.. if that's what we drafted him for... why we take him here is beyond me...

Again, Spielman at his finest!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    that's why everyone hated the draft....
    Everybody? Odd, because it looks to me like the majority of people - fans and experts included - did NOT hate this draft.

There are a select number of people, particularly on this forum, who had a problem with it. Outside that... most people are in agreement that the Vikings did decent. Not the very best in the draft, but above average overall.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post

Yeah just horrible in coverage....
    Yes, he sure does look good on that highlight tape. Got me there, I guess.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Everybody? Odd, because it looks to me like the majority of people - fans and experts included - did NOT hate this draft.

There are a select number of people, particularly on this forum, who had a problem with it. Outside that... most people are in agreement that the Vikings did decent. Not the very best in the draft, but above average overall.
    Funny, because we got a B+ after the 2005 draft... we all know how that turned out.

This updated 2005 draft grade gives us a Z- (which I thought was clever): WalterFootball.com: 2005 NFL Draft Grades and Re-Grades - NFC Draft Grades
    Last edited by C Mac D; 04-30-2012 at 04:34 PM.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    yeah, a highlight tape.... Didn't see anything special from that clip...
    That was a lot of highlights for one game. When was the last time you saw anything close to that performance from a Vikings safety?

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    That was a lot of highlights for one game. When was the last time you saw anything close to that performance from a Vikings safety?
    Those are college highlights. While I wish that was a guarantee of pro success, that's just not the case.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Funny, because we got a B+ after the 2005 draft... we all know how that turned out.

This updated 2005 draft grade gives us a Z- (which I thought was clever): WalterFootball.com: 2005 NFL Draft Grades and Re-Grades - NFC Draft Grades
    LOL. That is pretty funny. Detroit went from an A+ to an F.

I also see that the Seahawks went from an F to a B-. Which just goes to show that nobody should be as certain as they are about how well this draft did or did not go... especially a bunch of rubes on PP.O. I am optimistic, but then again, I am a positive sort of guy...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    most people are in agreement that the Vikings did decent. Not the very best in the draft, but above average overall.
    I think the reason people are not more positive is that a decent, above average draft is great if your team is a decent above average team. When your team is in the cellar of the NFL most fans expect more than decent. You need great drafts to pull you out of it, or you end up like the Lions did for many years.

WWBGD

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I think the reason people are not more positive is that a decent, above average draft is great if your team is a decent above average team. When your team is in the cellar of the NFL most fans expect more than decent. You need great drafts to pull you out of it, or you end up like the Lions did for many years.
    We have way more talent than the Lions ever had. Just with AP, PH, KW and JA - we should be fine in a few years if we draft well. This year will produce three qaulity starters in Kalil, Smith and Robinson. I know Robinson will be our nickel but in this day and age that is just like a starter. We got an upgrade in talent in FA at some positons of need and I see us playing better next year. Unfortunatley I don't see a whole lot of more wins but two years from now I think we will be one of those teams talked about as up and coming if we get another draft like this year.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Those are college highlights. While I wish that was a guarantee of pro success, that's just not the case.
    Yes, never any guarantees with any player ever drafted. But unfortunately, college play is all we have to go by at this stage of their career. There will be many players picked before him that turn out to be duds and many picked after him that turn out to be great. Trying to figure which ones will excel is hard for everyone, and personally, I believe their success is based largely by the team that drafts them. How they are developed and how they get used. Harrison looks to have enough talent and a strong enough work ethic that his chance of success should be fairly high. Doesn't mean we won't screw him up, but I like his chances.

We keep hearing about how great New England and Green Bay drafts, but you take those same players and put them in a Vikings uniform and then wonder why a good share of them turn out be be busts.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast