Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    The more I think about this draft, the less and less I like it. I can't see Harrison Smith being successful in this division and the WR's we drafted are just more mid-level talent guys.

Seems like more the same from Spielman, it will just take a year or two before everyone realizes he tanked it again.
    Do you feel that way because of his skill set, or because of the defense we play?

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    The more I think about this draft, the less and less I like it. I can't see Harrison Smith being successful in this division and the WR's we drafted are just more mid-level talent guys.

Seems like more the same from Spielman, it will just take a year or two before everyone realizes he tanked it again.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    It has been mentioned, but no matter what we would have done, some would be happy, some would be upset with Spielman picks. There is no way the Vikings (I don't care who is in charge) could satisfy all the members of this site with our diverse opionions.

I personally don't like all the picks (I wanted us to go more offense heavy early), but it is too early for me to call it a complete bust. I just feel that our team philosophy does not quite match up with the NFL as a whole. Games are not necessarily won in the trenches anymore, they are won by flooding the field with receivers and making plays.

As I said earlier, I do not hate the Kalil pick, but I would have been happier with Blackmon. Can we make our line better by flooding the field with receivers, taking guys out of the box, and making teams pay for the blitz? I say, yes, we can.

I want to see what our coaching staff is planning on doing as a whole to make plays on both sides of the balls. We had 8 interceptions last year. Teams threw 538 passes against us and completed 68% of those. We gave up 34 touchdown passes.

So, is addressing our D a need? Certainly. Can't complain to much about that.

I just want to see some plays this years. Something to change the momentum of a game, or give is the W. I don't remember the game, but I remember the pass that hit Tyrell Johnson in the hands that would have sealed a win for us. With a marginal team, we cannot have things like that happen. We can improve our offense by making defensive plays, so if we went defense heavy in the draft, we better make some plays.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    My main problem with the draft was that we had the chance, and picks, to be aggressive and get back into the 2nd round and get a 3rd player who would be starting neat year for us.. we didnt though, we sat tight, did nothing.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    Do you feel that way because of his skill set, or because of the defense we play?
    Well he's not a coverage safety, he definitely plays better in the box. We have a lot of tacklers on this defense, but we need some more coverage guys against Stafford, Cutler and Rogers... not another hard-hitting safety, which is what we seem to bring in every year.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Have whatever opinion you want - makes no difference to me. I agree with you regarding some of the 4th round decisions, and disagree with you regarding others, but that is also beside the point.

My point was that no matter what Spielman did, there would be people who complained about him. Had we drafted the way you wanted and drafted purely on talent with no regard to character, then people would have been complaining about that - especially during a stadium push.

You complain about us taking a kicker when there were "talents" like Travis Lewis out there. And yet let's see who makes the active roster and who doesn't. Hell, I would actually give the edge to the kicker. There were a lot of teams who felt that Lewis wasn't much of a talent - we went late in the 7th round after all. Arguing and complaining about 6th and 7th round picks is a little ridiculous seeing as they are pretty much a crap shoot regardless. So why not draft a kicker? what did he have to lose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson14 View Post
    My main problem with the draft was that we had the chance, and picks, to be aggressive and get back into the 2nd round and get a 3rd player who would be starting neat year for us.. we didnt though, we sat tight, did nothing.
    what about drafting a whopping 1 corner... and no receivers until the 4th round... waiting till the 6th round to draft a LB, 2 Safety's ... from freakin Notre Dame... a percy Harvin Clone... and a freakin kicker in the 6th round that missed 14 of 35 field goals last year... There's better kickers on the waiver wire...

that's why everyone hated the draft....

Have whatever opinion you want - makes no difference to me. I agree with you regarding some of the 4th round decisions, and disagree with you regarding others, but that is also beside the point.

My point was that no matter what Spielman did, there would be people who complained about him. Had we drafted the way you wanted and drafted purely on talent with no regard to character, then people would have been complaining about that - especially during a stadium push.

You complain about us taking a kicker when there were "talents" like Travis Lewis out there. And yet let's see who makes the active roster and who doesn't. Hell, I would actually give the edge to the kicker. There were a lot of teams who felt that Lewis wasn't much of a talent - we went late in the 7th round after all. Arguing and complaining about 6th and 7th round picks is a little ridiculous seeing as they are pretty much a crap shoot regardless. So why not draft a kicker? what did he have to lose?
    Well he's not a coverage safety, he definitely plays better in the box. We have a lot of tacklers on this defense, but we need some more coverage guys against Stafford, Cutler and Rogers... not another hard-hitting safety, which is what we seem to bring in every year.
    our safety's can't tackle so i disagree... BUT i do agree we have absolutely nobody who can cover anybody...especially the LB's and corners...

and a $10M LB who can't cover shit!!.. see Chad Greenway...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I'd also like to note that we used a 6th round pick on a kicker... and not a particularly good kicker either. Walsh only connected on 21-of-35 field goals as a senior at Georgia, and went 17-for-31 from beyond 30 yards (54.8 percent).

How this guy got drafted at all is pretty mind boggling.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Yeah just horrible in coverage....

Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post

Yeah just horrible in coverage....
    yeah, a highlight tape.... Didn't see anything special from that clip...

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast