Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 94
  1. #41
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,459
    For a quarterback, YPA, Completion Percentage, and TD/Int ratio are the big numbers. Total yards is much too misleading.

    Ponder is doing fine, but he has not been great. I don't think he is comfortable with the offense or the receivers. He certainly is not comfortable with the horrible pass blocking he has received over the last two seasons.

    We want to see Ponder throw down-field, but we know he often does not have time for a seven step drop. We know his receivers do not get separation, and we know he often does not have time to go to his third or fourth target in his progression.

    I have not seen Ponder be on target often on mid-range and deep passes. I see him miss moving receivers time and time again. Defensive coordinators must see this too. At this point, we do not know if Ponder has not been doing this well in the short term or cannot do it in the long term.
    Last edited by Minniman; 12-01-2012 at 04:58 PM.

  2. #42
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    There's no reason that Ponder can't be a serviceable QB for us though.
    Do you want a serviceable QB or a champion, future HOF one?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #43
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    For a quarterback, YPA, Completion Percentage, and TD/Int ratio are the big numbers. Total yards is much too misleading.

    Ponder is doing fine, but he has not been great. I don't think he is comfortable with the offense or the receivers. He certainly is not comfortable with the horrible pass blocking he has received over the last two seasons.

    We want to see Ponder throw down-field, but we know he often does not have time for a seven step drop. We know his receivers do not get separation, and we know he often does not have time to go to his third or fourth target in his progression.

    I have not seen Ponder be on target often on mid-range and deep passes. I see him miss moving receivers time and time again. Defensive coordinators must see this too. At this point, we do not know if Ponder has not been doing this well in the short term or cannot do it in the long term.
    Completion % can be misleading too. When your average pass only travels 5 yards in the air before being caught, it's a lot easier to have a higher completion % than a QB who's average pass travels 10-15 yards thru the air.

    25% of his passes are thrown behind the LOS, 74% of them are less than 10 yards & only 6% are more than 20 yards.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #44
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Do you want a serviceable QB or a champion, future HOF one?
    Obviously a champion, future HOF one.

    But do you want to change QBs every year for a decade looking for that future HOFer, or have a stable serviceable QB for that decade? In this league future HOF QBs are a premium. Hell, a good serviceable QB is hard to come by.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #45
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Do you want a serviceable QB or a champion, future HOF one?
    Sorry Favre time is over there are stll some holes to fill in the rebuild process before they go out and do that again.

  6. #46
    Scoot's Avatar
    Scoot is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    34
    We can bash Ponder all we want but the fact is he’s not a Peyton Manning, so what do you do??…. Well you create plays that best suites he’s style and that also relates to the talent of receivers that you have. And I see it every week… 1st down, 1st play is a pass.. Are they crazy… Run the d… ball! And then run play action passes. They need to allow Ponder to develop the short game and then hit them with middle to long game on a surprise bases.
    SCOOT28

  7. #47
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Sorry Favre time is over there are stll some holes to fill in the rebuild process before they go out and do that again.
    Sorry, I'm not talking about signing an old veteran. I'm talking about drafting a franchise QB that can eventually be a future champion & HOFer rather than keep a QB on the roster for a decade that will be nothing more than serviceable. But you already knew that.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #48
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Obviously a champion, future HOF one.

    But do you want to change QBs every year for a decade looking for that future HOFer, or have a stable serviceable QB for that decade? In this league future HOF QBs are a premium. Hell, a good serviceable QB is hard to come by.
    You don't need to change them every year, but you certainly don't keep them hanging around for a decade if they keep you in mediocre land.

    You move on & pursue other alternatives in the draft class or on your own roster if the guy you have running the show isn't taking you where you want to be.

    As much of a premium that draft prospects that may be future HOF QBs are, why would you idly watch them pass by just to keep your serviceable one?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #49
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
    We can bash Ponder all we want but the fact is he’s not a Peyton Manning, so what do you do??…. Well you create plays that best suites his style and that also relates to the talent of receivers that you have.
    And Musgrave has done just that. They're called the bubble pass & dump off.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #50
    VikeCane305's Avatar
    VikeCane305 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    And Musgrave has done just that. They're called the bubble pass & dump off.
    And Defenses around the league are just sitting on those plays Musgrave is calling for Ponder's strengths. I'm with you on this one Singer. Ponder's limitations limits this team's growth and ways to score points.
    "AKA" PURPLEPOWERPUNCH

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •