Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    iowa is online now Rookie
    Matt Ryan-5 int.0 TD,Drew Brees-5int.0TD,Drew Brees 2 pick six in one game, Eli Manning 0 TD 4 picks during 3 game skid.Even the "elite"qbs struggle. Too early to pull the plug on Ponder, he's shown some flashes of promise.Besides, what's our alternative ?
    None

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa View Post
    Matt Ryan-5 int.0 TD,Drew Brees-5int.0TD,Drew Brees 2 pick six in one game, Eli Manning 0 TD 4 picks during 3 game skid.Even the "elite"qbs struggle. Too early to pull the plug on Ponder, he's shown some flashes of promise.Besides, what's our alternative ?
    When Ponder has accomplished half of what either of those QBs has accomplished, I'll accept that comparison. As of now, those are just isolated stats that really have no bearing in this conversation. If we're talking about Ponder's future as a QB in this league, we have to look at his entire body of work.

Look at Matt Ryan's first two years in the league... how do they compare with Ponders?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    Christian Ponder has 2,186 yards passing this season so far, with 13 TD's, 9 interceptions, and a passer rating of 82. At that rate, he is on pace for over 3,000 yards passing, in a run-oriented offense.

Given these statistics, I feel he should remain our starting QB into the 2013 season. The Vikings are one of the most-improved teams in the NFL. We are not far away from being a playoff team. Let's not panic and make a decision that we will regret later! SKOL VIKINGS!
    Nice post. Puts it in perspective. If CP throws for over 3000 and has more TDs than INT. Worth another look for sure.

JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    Ponder has the gift and talent. Just need to find his groove and rhythem. That's all!
    NFL 2013 is Here!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Christian Ponder has 2,186 yards passing this season so far, with 13 TD's, 9 interceptions, and a passer rating of 82. At that rate, he is on pace for over 3,000 yards passing, in a run-oriented offense.

Given these statistics, I feel he should remain our starting QB into the 2013 season. The Vikings are one of the most-improved teams in the NFL. We are not far away from being a playoff team. Let's not panic and make a decision that we will regret later! SKOL VIKINGS!
    He also has 4 lost fumbles. At his current rate, he will have over 3,000 yards passing, along with 24 other QB's, will still have just as many turnovers as he does TD's, will still have the same or fewer TD's than 22 other QB's & will finish 24th with a QB rating of only 82.

Also, despite a 63.5% completion rate, only 2 other QB's will have a worse yard/attempt average. Gabbert & Skelton. My guess is that if you look at the average pass thru the air, excluding YAC, Ponder is dead last.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

He also has 4 lost fumbles. At his current rate, he will have over 3,000 yards passing, along with 24 other QB's, will still have just as many turnovers as he does TD's, will still have the same or fewer TD's than 22 other QB's & will finish 24th with a QB rating of only 82.

Also, despite a 63.5% completion rate, only 2 other QB's will have a worse yard/attempt average. Gabbert & Skelton. My guess is that if you look at the average pass thru the air, excluding YAC, Ponder is dead last.
    Great post!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Yes, it's nothing special, but I'd like to point out a comple things.

The last 3000+ yard passer was Favre in 2009. Prior to that, Culpepper in 2004.

It's been that long since we've had any consistency at QB. If a second year Ponder who's really only had one offseason of development is throwing 3000 yards in a suspect passing offense, I"m fine with that. Obviously he needs to continue to improve, but we can't expect him to be perfect right away. I don't think anybody expects him to be Andrew Luck or RGIII. People comparing him to them need to step down. RGIII/Luck are on a different level than Ponder. There's no reason that Ponder can't be a serviceable QB for us though.

iowa is online now Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    When Ponder has accomplished half of what either of those QBs has accomplished, I'll accept that comparison. As of now, those are just isolated stats that really have no bearing in this conversation. If we're talking about Ponder's future as a QB in this league, we have to look at his entire body of work.

Look at Matt Ryan's first two years in the league... how do they compare with Ponders?
    Never said he was as good as those guys, just making the point that even"elite" QB's suck at times.Ponder needs some more tools to work with and more time before he can be declared a bust.As far as Ryan is concerned, he plays great at home during the regular season, play-offs and road games not so much, and he's got some of the best weapons in the league.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Glad you asked. It's kind of tough since Ryan started almost all games and Ponder didn't, but comparing this season (Ponder's first full season of play) to both of Ryan's first two years: (I'll also adjust POnders stats for a projected 16 games)

Ponder:
    11 games 228/359 63.5% 2186Yards 13td, 9INT, 82.0 RATE, 4 FUM LOst
    Over 16 games:
    16 games 332/523 63.5% 3180Yards 19td, 14INT, 82.0 RATE, 6 FUM Lost

Ryan:
    Rookie year:
    16 games 265/434 61.1% 3440Yards 16td, 11INT, 87.7 RATE, 1 FUM Lost

2nd year
    14 games 263/451 58.3% 2916Yards 22td, 14INT, 80.9 RATE, 2 FUM Lost

So overall, not so much better than Ponder's. He had the advantage of a full offseason his rookie year, and went in being the starter. Ponder was backup to start the year.

Obviously Ryan has better stats in total for his first two years, since Ponder didn't play 2 full seasons. But on a per-game basis. then comparing full seasons, they're not that far off.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Glad you asked. It's kind of tough since Ryan started almost all games and Ponder didn't, but comparing this season (Ponder's first full season of play) to both of Ryan's first two years: (I'll also adjust POnders stats for a projected 16 games)

Ponder:
    11 games 228/359 63.5% 2186Yards 13td, 9INT, 82.0 RATE, 4 FUM LOst
    Over 16 games:
    16 games 332/523 63.5% 3180Yards 19td, 14INT, 82.0 RATE, 6 FUM Lost

Ryan:
    Rookie year:
    16 games 265/434 61.1% 3440Yards 16td, 11INT, 87.7 RATE, 1 FUM Lost

2nd year
    14 games 263/451 58.3% 2916Yards 22td, 14INT, 80.9 RATE, 2 FUM Lost

So overall, not so much better than Ponder's. He had the advantage of a full offseason his rookie year, and went in being the starter. Ponder was backup to start the year.

Obviously Ryan has better stats in total for his first two years, since Ponder didn't play 2 full seasons. But on a per-game basis. then comparing full seasons, they're not that far off.
    Boom.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast