Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkar View Post
    Rivers had/has one of the best arms in football????
    Not in terms of arm strength. He had the best deep ball in the NFL, but that was touch and accuracy. He's a push thrower, and he doesn't throw lasers down the field like Cutler or Vick.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Tjack was given every opportunity to be a starter in the league after he left here. What happened? He failed as we knew he would. Fans are not stupid. We know when certain guys are going to be busts. Ponder is exactly what the scouting reports said on him. He's got a weak arm and can't make all the throws to be a top notch qb in the NFL. It's obvious. There is a reason the Vikings play most of their passing game outside the hashes. It's because Ponder does not have the zip in his arm to throw in tight windows. What happens most every time he throws there. It sails and is either picked off or overthrown. It sails because he does not have a strong arm.

Ponder's upside was that he was suppose to be smart. He's smart all right. He's smart enough that when he drops to be very quick to get out of the pocket and not hit. Watch Ponder, he is terrible at reading the field. Rarely does he ever throw the ball on time in the pocket. He drops, hesitates and then adlibs and makes mistakes. He is in that mode of throwing to open guys, not throwing guys open. There is a big difference. Duante was another one that did the same thing. Good NFL qb's throw guys open and if you can't do that , you can't be a starting qb in the NFL.

Imagine, Ponder has the best running back in football by far with stacked boxes and HE STILL CAN'T SUCCEED..... He's another T Jack just a different color which will keep him a job a few extra years than T Jack since they wasted a first round pick on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Everybody should go look at the statics for the first three years that Drew Brees was in San Diego. Give Ponder some time, as not every quarterback in the NFL is a superstar right out of the gate.

Look at Cam Newton last year. He was changing the way the game was played! Then look at him this year. Early, immediate success is not a sure sign of long term success and viability.
    Yes, Drew Brees stunk it up in San Diego at first... But to suggest Ponder is the next Drew Brees or that he's even in the same league as him is just crazy... He can get better, but the knock on Drew was his Height not arm strength... Checkdown Charlie is no where close to the QB Brees was/is... atleast he gets the ball down the field....

Watching Ponder Check down play after play with 8-9 men in the box is pathetic...

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Yes, Drew Brees stunk it up in San Diego at first... But to suggest Ponder is the next Drew Brees or that he's even in the same league as him is just crazy... He can get better, but the knock on Drew was his Height not arm strength... Checkdown Charlie is no where close to the QB Brees was/is... atleast he gets the ball down the field....

Watching Ponder Check down play after play with 8-9 men in the box is pathetic...
    The knock on Brees wasn't just his height, as there was quite a bit of speculation about his arm strength as well.

Ponder is suffering the same criticism that Brees did for his first two years starting in San Diego. Checks down too frequently. Doesn't get the ball down field. Arm is too weak. Never going to be a franchise quarterback.

Same business.

I'm not suggesting that Ponder will become Drew Brees, I'm merely stating that it's far too soon to write a young quarterback off as being a waste. He may wind up being a waste, but if you're going to invest the pick on him, invest the time to find out.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Tjack was given every opportunity to be a starter in the league after he left here. What happened? He failed as we knew he would. Fans are not stupid. We know when certain guys are going to be busts. Ponder is exactly what the scouting reports said on him. He's got a weak arm and can't make all the throws to be a top notch qb in the NFL. It's obvious. There is a reason the Vikings play most of their passing game outside the hashes. It's because Ponder does not have the zip in his arm to throw in tight windows. What happens most every time he throws there. It sails and is either picked off or overthrown. It sails because he does not have a strong arm.

Ponder's upside was that he was suppose to be smart. He's smart all right. He's smart enough that when he drops to be very quick to get out of the pocket and not hit. Watch Ponder, he is terrible at reading the field. Rarely does he ever throw the ball on time in the pocket. He drops, hesitates and then adlibs and makes mistakes. He is in that mode of throwing to open guys, not throwing guys open. There is a big difference. Duante was another one that did the same thing. Good NFL qb's throw guys open and if you can't do that , you can't be a starting qb in the NFL.

Imagine, Ponder has the best running back in football by far with stacked boxes and HE STILL CAN'T SUCCEED..... He's another T Jack just a different color which will keep him a job a few extra years than T Jack since they wasted a first round pick on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The knock on Brees wasn't just his height, as there was quite a bit of speculation about his arm strength as well.

Ponder is suffering the same criticism that Brees did for his first two years starting in San Diego. Checks down too frequently. Doesn't get the ball down field. Arm is too weak. Never going to be a franchise quarterback.

Same business.

I'm not suggesting that Ponder will become Drew Brees, I'm merely stating that it's far too soon to write a young quarterback off as being a waste. He may wind up being a waste, but if you're going to invest the pick on him, invest the time to find out.
    it's been 2 years for a first round QB that was supposed to be NFL ready. Other guys in the league that came in after him or at the same time have surpassed him by far. He's a below average QB this year... not even a top 20Qb.. thats pretty bad!

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    it's been 2 years for a first round QB that was supposed to be NFL ready. Other guys in the league that came in after him or at the same time have surpassed him by far. He's a below average QB this year... not even a top 20Qb.. thats pretty bad!
    So was Brees. Eli Manning was awful his first few years, as well. There is no perfect learning curve for a quarterback, and cutting sling load on 'em this early is a bad idea. He hasn't been Ryan Leaf or Purpledrank bad, so lets not get too hasty.

To be honest, Eli was far more highly regarded than Ponder, especially as the most "NFL ready" quarterback.

I'd also like to remind you that guys like Cam Newton were supposed to be too raw to quickly pick up the pro game and the professional style of offense. People were concerned about the same issues with RGIII. Draft analysis isn't the be all and end all of a quarterback. Let Ponder play. Let him fail and succeed and learn. He's shown enough to keep me interested.

If you guys were expecting him to come out of the gate this year, putting up numbers like Stafford, Rodgers, Brees and Brady...well, time to pump the brakes until you're within the reality speed limit.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Spielman has 100% confidence in Ponder

I guess what I look for is incremental improvement in the play of the QB. You bring up brees and Manning, well their stats started slow but they developed along the way and as a longtime fan of brees I can tell you that his development was very noticeable as I watched him play even if the numbers didn't show it right away.

So lets look at Ponders development objectively and if you support him, tell me what things he is doing right now that he wasn't doing say at the end of last year or the first few games of this year that demonstrate that he is developing his game and becoming a franchise type QB.

That was my knock on Jackson and it is what is becoming my knock on Ponder. What things can you point out from his early games that show his improvements and what is he doing now that he was not able to do earlier?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Vikings GM has '100 percent belief' in QB Ponder

WHY?????

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    You guys expect Spielman to say something else than this?..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    You guys expect Spielman to say something else than this?..
    Yes, personally, I was hoping he would have thrown in a lengthy comparison to TJack too .

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Christian Ponder has 2,186 yards passing this season so far, with 13 TD's, 9 interceptions, and a passer rating of 82. At that rate, he is on pace for over 3,000 yards passing, in a run-oriented offense.

Given these statistics, I feel he should remain our starting QB into the 2013 season. The Vikings are one of the most-improved teams in the NFL. We are not far away from being a playoff team. Let's not panic and make a decision that we will regret later! SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast