Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    I believe Spielman. They did it with TJack. You have to give him the time to grow, can't give up to early.
    You do realize Ponder has started more games than TJoke now right?

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    This means the same to me as a father telling his son he has 100% confidence in him. It's just something he has to say. Maybe he really thinks his son isn't very good, but he has to wait for the right moment to tell him maybe it's time to move on and try something else.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    You do realize Ponder has started more games than TJoke now right?
    Not that I am a big Ponder fan but a lot of that has to do with TJ getting injured every few games and getting put on IR.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Not that I am a big Ponder fan but a lot of that has to do with TJ getting injured every few games and getting put on IR.
    Tjack was given every opportunity to be a starter in the league after he left here. What happened? He failed as we knew he would. Fans are not stupid. We know when certain guys are going to be busts. Ponder is exactly what the scouting reports said on him. He's got a weak arm and can't make all the throws to be a top notch qb in the NFL. It's obvious. There is a reason the Vikings play most of their passing game outside the hashes. It's because Ponder does not have the zip in his arm to throw in tight windows. What happens most every time he throws there. It sails and is either picked off or overthrown. It sails because he does not have a strong arm.

Ponder's upside was that he was suppose to be smart. He's smart all right. He's smart enough that when he drops to be very quick to get out of the pocket and not hit. Watch Ponder, he is terrible at reading the field. Rarely does he ever throw the ball on time in the pocket. He drops, hesitates and then adlibs and makes mistakes. He is in that mode of throwing to open guys, not throwing guys open. There is a big difference. Duante was another one that did the same thing. Good NFL qb's throw guys open and if you can't do that , you can't be a starting qb in the NFL.

Imagine, Ponder has the best running back in football by far with stacked boxes and HE STILL CAN'T SUCCEED..... He's another T Jack just a different color which will keep him a job a few extra years than T Jack since they wasted a first round pick on him.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Everybody should go look at the statics for the first three years that Drew Brees was in San Diego. Give Ponder some time, as not every quarterback in the NFL is a superstar right out of the gate.

Look at Cam Newton last year. He was changing the way the game was played! Then look at him this year. Early, immediate success is not a sure sign of long term success and viability.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Ponder's arm strength is about what Brees and Rivers have.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Tjack was given every opportunity to be a starter in the league after he left here. What happened? He failed as we knew he would. Fans are not stupid. We know when certain guys are going to be busts. Ponder is exactly what the scouting reports said on him. He's got a weak arm and can't make all the throws to be a top notch qb in the NFL. It's obvious. There is a reason the Vikings play most of their passing game outside the hashes. It's because Ponder does not have the zip in his arm to throw in tight windows. What happens most every time he throws there. It sails and is either picked off or overthrown. It sails because he does not have a strong arm.

Ponder's upside was that he was suppose to be smart. He's smart all right. He's smart enough that when he drops to be very quick to get out of the pocket and not hit. Watch Ponder, he is terrible at reading the field. Rarely does he ever throw the ball on time in the pocket. He drops, hesitates and then adlibs and makes mistakes. He is in that mode of throwing to open guys, not throwing guys open. There is a big difference. Duante was another one that did the same thing. Good NFL qb's throw guys open and if you can't do that , you can't be a starting qb in the NFL.

Imagine, Ponder has the best running back in football by far with stacked boxes and HE STILL CAN'T SUCCEED..... He's another T Jack just a different color which will keep him a job a few extra years than T Jack since they wasted a first round pick on him.
    1: Ponder's arm isn't weak. I watched him throw a 30 yard lazer (incomplete, of course, because the receiver dropped it). I believe it's more of an accuracy issue...he needs to develop better timing.

2: Ponder's color will have ZERO bearing on how long he starts. That's simply a foolish assertion. His draft position will have more impact, only because the teams financial investment is higher.

3: Ponder has NO receivers to throw to, and has a crap HC and a moron at OC. Not exactly a recipe for success.

That said, Ponder also has failed to play to a level that illustrates that it IS the receivers/OC/crappy scheme, and not him failing.

As I said a few weeks back, we're stuck with him for the rest of the season, but unless he starts playing like he belongs here, I would advocate seeking another QB option.

Caine

drakkar is offline Rookie
    Rivers had/has one of the best arms in football????

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    1: Ponder's arm isn't weak. I watched him throw a 30 yard lazer (incomplete, of course, because the receiver dropped it). I believe it's more of an accuracy issue...he needs to develop better timing.

2: Ponder's color will have ZERO bearing on how long he starts. That's simply a foolish assertion. His draft position will have more impact, only because the teams financial investment is higher.

3: Ponder has NO receivers to throw to, and has a crap HC and a moron at OC. Not exactly a recipe for success.

That said, Ponder also has failed to play to a level that illustrates that it IS the receivers/OC/crappy scheme, and not him failing.

As I said a few weeks back, we're stuck with him for the rest of the season, but unless he starts playing like he belongs here, I would advocate seeking another QB option.

Caine
    I've watched Ponder throw 30 yard lazers too (incomplete, of course, because they were way off target). I've also watched him throw a lot of lofty floaters without much zip on the ball at all, which was a big knock against him during the draft.

Ponder does have receivers to throw to. Harvin & Rudolph have proven time & again to be worthy targets. Jarius Wright looks promising. It's not like he's stuck throwing to Troy Williamson & Aundrae Allison.

I think Simpson & Carlson are busts, but it's not like other receivers aren't open. Ponder isn't throwing to them. Harvin was quick to point that out a few weeks back. Game film showed receivers were getting open, but not getting targeted.

Isn't stating "NO receivers to throw to, a crappy HC and a moron at OC" just making excuses for craptacular QB play?
    Last edited by singersp; 11-27-2012 at 05:53 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    He missed 4 games due to 2 injuries in 2007. We lost those 4 games. He was 8-4 on the remaining 12, but in one of those losses it was the back up QB who lost the game when TJ went down when we had the lead.

Ponder got injured twice last season as well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast