Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spielman as GM

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Spielman as GM

So after the Childress debacle I can remember being very vocal about wanting Wilf to bring in a real, honest,qualified football GM to run the team due to the Wilfs lack of experience with football and their track record with the previously described debacle.

The reason was to isolate the accountability and give one guy the power to build the team as he sees fit. Well, while he got the title Wilf retained power over the coach and in many ways neutered Spielman so that he had no control over who coached the players he brought in which means you can't objectively evaluate the job he could do if given the power he should have had.

To me it doesn't matter. While I like his drafts for the most part the fact that he went through the preseason with the team underperforming and telling the nation that they had the right players and that they didn't need a QB competition and that Ponder was the guy in the face of nearly all fans and local media seeing at least enough to open the position for competition prior to the season and letting it shake out tell me that he either didn't know or was too weak to challenge the owner and coach about the situation that could have fixed things before they started.

So I am on the replace the whole damn front office bandwagon IF they bring in a real football guy to run the team and if Wilf steps back and limits himself to writing checks and takes Brother Mark with him. Otherwise they might just as well keep who they have and go with it.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Part one might happen, but the Wilfs are fans who think they know how to run a team and would never dream of stepping back which means one thing they will not replace the HC with anybody that fits the bill as a guy who can take control of this team and make it happen. John Gruden as an example wont be considered as he wont be told what to do. same as Bill Cowher, I'm not saying these guys are interested or would even consider the job I'm just saying that's the type of HC we need but all; the time the Wilfs own the Vikings it wont happen which means Adrian's career goes the way of Barry Sanders.
    Purple till i die

Blog Entries
    All I know is when you watch the Vikings you find 2 things that are consistent and occur on a regular basis:

They have the unique ability on offense of making even the most routine plays on offense look insurmountable and they have the unique ability on defense of making even the most pedestrian QB's look they they belong in the Hall of Fame when they play us. This is something that cannot be denied and it has been the case for far too long to be a coincidence.

I am not sure what it will take to change that but I do know it needs to be drastic and it needs to come from someone who is not currently a part of this organization.

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    The one thing I want to point out in this discussion is our drafts, for the first time that I can remember (and I'm 43 years old), we have had excellent drafts. This isn't just me saying this, this is ESPN and the NFL Network. Whoever is making those decisions should keep their job(s), no if ands or buts.

Whoever takes control of this team after Frazier gets the boot (and judging by the NFL's history, Frazier will be held to account before anyone else) has a lot of good players to build off of...except for QB. I'm assuming Freeman will ultimately not work out, only because nothing this year has worked out.

If we put the person who did last year's draft in charge of getting us an elite QB, I truly believe he or she will get us a winner.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    Before the season I was on board with your philosophy. So much so that I was actually labeled a company yes man. But to be honest I don't see that talent manifesting itself very well on the field. Hopefully it is just shitty coaches and we can fix that but seriously- is there one unit on the team without multiple glaring holes?

I thought the secondary might improve but it looks terrible.
    I thought the ol had gotten better talent wise but it looks terrible.
    I thought we had drafted some great depth at LB but they look terrible.
    I thought the QB spot might be marginal but the look terrible

I hope we could bring in a new coaching staff and they could find a way to win with this group but I just don't don't trust them until they prove it at this point.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Stick with this GM and their will be a lot of empty seats at TCF, even if they replace the coaching staff.
    Spielman gave Frazier Robinson instead of Winfield; Henderson instead of Brinkley; Ponder instead of Kaepernik/Wilson/Dalton; Patterson instead of Harvin; Carlson instead of a fence post.
    Frazier gave fans Robinson instead of Rhodes; Simpson instead of Patterson; Mitchell instead of Bishop; and no competition at the quarterback position.
    Fire them all and hire someone with knowledge and experience to hire your next GM. Let that GM hire your next head coach, and the Vikings may win a superbowl someday.
    Keep any part of this staff and it will be another half decade of futility. Mark my words.

Blog Entries
    Bump

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Everyone will want to fire Musgrave and Frazier, and believe me, they are gone. But, if you don't fire Spielman and start over, this nightmare of a joke has no chance of improvement.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Lets talk front office for one moment...

Starting Packer QB's since 1992: Favre, Rodgers, Flynn

Starting Viking QB's since 1992: Gannon, Salisbury, McMahon,Moon, Johnson, Cuningham, Culpepper, Bouman, Wynn, Ferotte, Jackson, Holcomb, Bollinger, Favre, Webb, McNabb, Ponder, Cassel, Freeman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    Lets talk front office for one moment...

Starting Packer QB's since 1992: Favre, Rodgers, Flynn

Starting Viking QB's since 1992: Gannon, Salisbury, McMahon,Moon, Johnson, Cuningham, Culpepper, Bouman, Wynn, Ferotte, Jackson, Holcomb, Bollinger, Favre, Webb, McNabb, Ponder, Cassel, Freeman
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast