Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Spielman on FA

  1. #11
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Spielman on FA

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    This quote is taken from this article in the Star Tribune

    Free-agent preparation

    Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel, said during a interview on KFAN Radio on Friday that the team's personnel department concluded its meetings Thursday night in preparation for the March 2 free-agency period.

    "As you go through this thing, there aren't a lot of big-time names out there," Spielman said. "There are areas where you can get help. We're looking at younger-type free agents that may not be well-known yet but do still have some upside and can definitely come in and help us in all phases. We're looking at special teams guys, we're looking at offensive, we're even looking at some defensive guys. We're finalizing our game plan on how we're going to attack free agency, and again that builds into what is available coming up in the draft as well."

    The NFL salary cap is expected to be $109 million in 2007 (up from $102 million) and the Vikings are expected to be around $25 million under the cap.
    I'm sure some of the Maddenites will cringe at this, how will they know how good they are without a current Madden rating?

    Cojomay, I'm with you on this one.
    I'm sure glad there are people running the ship that use their brains.
    Some on the site have ripped on me for having confidence in a coaching staff that has well over a 100 yrs of professional coaching experience rather than relying on someone that polished off a 12 pack of grainbelt and two cylinders of pringles in front of their new big-screen high definition television.


    I'll put my faith in Spielman the triangle of tards at this time....and I have little confidence in Spielman.
    A wise sage once said, " If Foley was Fred Flintstone, Spielman is Gomer Pile ."

    Can't argue with that one.

    About a month ago Spielman refered to the Vikings free agency strategy as if we weren't going to participate.

    This statement sounds much better to me.

    One place we can get a lot of bang for the buck in free agency is special teams players.Lord knows we need improvement there.

    The way he doesn't discount special teams, offense, or defense as a possibility along with his acknowledgement of how it affects the draft, suggests a well thought out plan.

    It's tough to be ignorant during the season because a loss can expose you quickly.
    However I revel in being ignorant during the off season because it's more difficult to be proven wrong.
    So I may be ignorant. But I'm still on board with the current Vikings staff despite not being a Spielman believer!
    And it only takes a 12 pack of Grain Belt and 1 tube of Pringles!
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  2. #12
    nephilimstorm's Avatar
    nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: Spielman on FA

    I just hope we nail some real big playing free agents...that know the system and will fit well in any scheme that this year will conjuer up

  3. #13
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,511

    Re: Spielman on FA

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe guys that have huge potential but aren't being utilized enough. Like DJ Hackett type guys, ben leber type guys too. This is good news and it probably means that we won't be overpaying for any players that aren't that talented.


    PPE, you could add our best FA pickup last season to that list...Chester Taylor..


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  4. #14
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053

    Re: Spielman on FA

    They need to do something with the offense badly.. It does not matter how good our defense is next season, if the offense is as bad next year as it was this year, we will be watching other teams vying for the Super Bowl again..

  5. #15
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Spielman on FA

    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Gezzzz, I remember about this time last year when almost everyone here wanted us to get "Edge." Glad smarter heads prevailed.
    Once Edge gets some blockers...I sincerely doubt that he will be a paperweight.
    Put him behind our OL and I would be willing to bet that he is a 1500-yard rusher.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  6. #16
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Spielman on FA

    "cogitans" wrote:
    This quote is taken from this article in the Star Tribune

    Free-agent preparation

    Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel, said during a interview on KFAN Radio on Friday that the team's personnel department concluded its meetings Thursday night in preparation for the March 2 free-agency period.

    "As you go through this thing, there aren't a lot of big-time names out there," Spielman said. "There are areas where you can get help. We're looking at younger-type free agents that may not be well-known yet but do still have some upside and can definitely come in and help us in all phases. We're looking at special teams guys, we're looking at offensive, we're even looking at some defensive guys. We're finalizing our game plan on how we're going to attack free agency, and again that builds into what is available coming up in the draft as well."

    The NFL salary cap is expected to be $109 million in 2007 (up from $102 million) and the Vikings are expected to be around $25 million under the cap.
    I wanna see them make a splash in FA...screw rebuilding!
    We have the cap room...SPEND IT!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  7. #17
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Spielman on FA

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    This quote is taken from this article in the Star Tribune

    Free-agent preparation

    Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel, said during a interview on KFAN Radio on Friday that the team's personnel department concluded its meetings Thursday night in preparation for the March 2 free-agency period.

    "As you go through this thing, there aren't a lot of big-time names out there," Spielman said. "There are areas where you can get help. We're looking at younger-type free agents that may not be well-known yet but do still have some upside and can definitely come in and help us in all phases. We're looking at special teams guys, we're looking at offensive, we're even looking at some defensive guys. We're finalizing our game plan on how we're going to attack free agency, and again that builds into what is available coming up in the draft as well."

    The NFL salary cap is expected to be $109 million in 2007 (up from $102 million) and the Vikings are expected to be around $25 million under the cap.
    I'm sure some of the Maddenites will cringe at this, how will they know how good they are without a current Madden rating?

    Cojomay, I'm with you on this one.
    I'm sure glad there are people running the ship that use their brains.
    Some on the site have ripped on me for having confidence in a coaching staff that has well over a 100 yrs of professional coaching experience rather than relying on someone that polished off a 12 pack of grainbelt and two cylinders of pringles in front of their new big-screen high definition television.


    I'll put my faith in Spielman the triangle of tards at this time....and I have little confidence in Spielman.
    Great stuff.
    I am with you also Prophet with respect to giving the staff a vote of confidence.
    Alot of them sure crawled back into the woodwork after he did (IMHO) a great job on getting a new DC.

    Looks like the triangle is trying to take the "Patriot" approach to building a team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #18
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Spielman on FA

    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe guys that have huge potential but aren't being utilized enough. Like DJ Hackett type guys, ben leber type guys too. This is good news and it probably means that we won't be overpaying for any players that aren't that talented.


    PPE, you could add our best FA pickup last season to that list...Chester Taylor..
    Exactly. While everyone was getting in a stupid bidding war over Edge we quietly went in there and picked up the best running back in FA with half the pricetag. Let's just hope we can find a diamond in the rough FA WR this time.

  9. #19
    triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,588

    Re: Spielman on FA

    There's really not a whole lot out there offense wise.
    Some really great Defensive players out there this year though.
    Offensively I don't mind us taking a leap of faith on some young guys, but I'd like to see more experienced players come in on D.
    It was good last year, but we've got holes that young players just don't have the experience to fill.

  10. #20
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Spielman on FA

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe guys that have huge potential but aren't being utilized enough. Like DJ Hackett type guys, ben leber type guys too. This is good news and it probably means that we won't be overpaying for any players that aren't that talented.


    PPE, you could add our best FA pickup last season to that list...Chester Taylor..
    Exactly. While everyone was getting in a stupid bidding war over Edge we quietly went in there and picked up the best running back in FA with half the pricetag. Let's just hope we can find a diamond in the rough FA WR this time.
    Yeppers. Based on the way things turned out last year with the draft (although, still not sold on Tarvaris!) and FA I have faith in what Childress and Spielman will do in free agency.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spielman shying away from QBs in the first???
    By b_sandhar_29 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
  2. Spielman on KFAN 4/10
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
  3. Safety First (On Spielman)
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 01:31 AM
  4. Rick Spielman
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 10:50 PM
  5. Spielman and ice-fishing
    By VikingKen in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 12:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •