Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spielman on FA

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Spielman on FA

This quote is taken from this article in the Star Tribune

Free-agent preparation

Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel, said during a interview on KFAN Radio on Friday that the team's personnel department concluded its meetings Thursday night in preparation for the March 2 free-agency period.

"As you go through this thing, there aren't a lot of big-time names out there," Spielman said. "There are areas where you can get help. We're looking at younger-type free agents that may not be well-known yet but do still have some upside and can definitely come in and help us in all phases. We're looking at special teams guys, we're looking at offensive, we're even looking at some defensive guys. We're finalizing our game plan on how we're going to attack free agency, and again that builds into what is available coming up in the draft as well."

The NFL salary cap is expected to be $109 million in 2007 (up from $102 million) and the Vikings are expected to be around $25 million under the cap.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Spielman on FA

They are building a team for the future, and bringing in younger guys.

Give me D.J. Hackett

I actually found a link, that'll let you hear a podcast of the Spielman interview.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I like this approach. That way we won't get stuck like 'Zona...

They have an extremely expensive paperwieght named Edge in the backfield...
    -Sno

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Gezzzz, I remember about this time last year when almost everyone here wanted us to get "Edge." Glad smarter heads prevailed.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    This quote is taken from this article in the Star Tribune

Free-agent preparation

Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel, said during a interview on KFAN Radio on Friday that the team's personnel department concluded its meetings Thursday night in preparation for the March 2 free-agency period.

"As you go through this thing, there aren't a lot of big-time names out there," Spielman said. "There are areas where you can get help. We're looking at younger-type free agents that may not be well-known yet but do still have some upside and can definitely come in and help us in all phases. We're looking at special teams guys, we're looking at offensive, we're even looking at some defensive guys. We're finalizing our game plan on how we're going to attack free agency, and again that builds into what is available coming up in the draft as well."

The NFL salary cap is expected to be $109 million in 2007 (up from $102 million) and the Vikings are expected to be around $25 million under the cap.
    I'm sure some of the Maddenites will cringe at this, how will they know how good they are without a current Madden rating?

Cojomay, I'm with you on this one.
    I'm sure glad there are people running the ship that use their brains.
    Some on the site have ripped on me for having confidence in a coaching staff that has well over a 100 yrs of professional coaching experience rather than relying on someone that polished off a 12 pack of grainbelt and two cylinders of pringles in front of their new big-screen high definition television.

I'll put my faith in Spielman the triangle of tards at this time....and I have little confidence in Spielman.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Torontovik15 is offline Rookie

So does his comments mean that we will stand pat and not improve our 1st string guys, but sign a couple of second string guys and hope in 2 years they are able to start...

????
    What we got here is a failure to communicate.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I'm thinking maybe guys that have huge potential but aren't being utilized enough. Like DJ Hackett type guys, ben leber type guys too. This is good news and it probably means that we won't be overpaying for any players that aren't that talented.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe guys that have huge potential but aren't being utilized enough. Like DJ Hackett type guys, ben lever type guys too. This is good news and it probably means that we won't be overpaying for any players that aren't that talented.
    That's also how I choose to understand it. They try to look at a player that has potential to produce.

Bonus info; for those of you that didn't listened to the podcast of the interview, that I put a link to, Spielman said he also had a list of players that 'do not get playing time to match their cap-numbers', that they expects to restructure their contract or be released.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I like how it sounds that they are focusing on offense and special teams during free agency.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast