Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Spending money just because we have it -- Foolish!

"aceclown" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    If we go about free agency in the same manner as last year, that would be the best possible scenario. We spend money on FA's until there is about 8-9 mil left to sign rookies. I think we should pick up 3 impact FAs, which at an average of 5 mil per player would leave the desired amount of cap space left for the future. Depth is what the draft is for. Signing mediocre FAs might have worked for the Patriots, but I have yet to see it work for any other team.
    Not a bad analysis, aceclown!

Compton, huh? Were you "born and raised in Compton"?

I'm from South Central LA...Louisiana, that is...but I have been through Compton a time or two. :grin:
    Naw, the Compton thing is a joke, Im from the midwest. I have family in LA, and I figured nobody on this site is from Compton. I have been to Compton, but I doubt I would be able to live there.
    LOL! I lived in Ventura for three years and had occasion to go down to LA every so often...I used to drive through Compton, but always in the daytime...my pale @$$ definitely stuck out like a sore thumb! :lol:

The "born and raised in Compton" was a quote from an old NWA lyric from back in the day...didn't know if you caught that! :lol:

I try to keep up with new music, but old guys like me have a hard time with it as time goes by...plus my wife doesn't listen to what I do, so I don't usually have the time. BUT I am usually open to listening to new stuff and figuring out what is good and what isn't...I usually find that some stuff in a particular genre is good and some is CRAP...it takes longer to pick out the good stuff, but it is worth it in the long run...as for the CRAP, I leave that to others to listen to! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"Prophet" wrote:
    I'm all for wise cap management. Sitting on a pile of money under the cap when there are many needs is just as foolish as blowing it all just because it's there. It's easy to get into trouble with the cap, because you have one injury to a key player and have to hit the market for a replacement then you are in cap hell the next year. A delicate issue, but the Vikings have one of the best cappers in the league that will not be limited due to a tightwad owner like in the past. I have confidence that the Vikings will manage their cap well.
    I do as well P! Let's see, last year alone they spent very wisely:

1- Pat Williams
    2- Fred Smoot
    3- Darren Sharper

and then they signed a slew of thier own guys. I think in all the Vikes signed 11 or 12 UFA's in 2005. I want to see them approach 2006 very much the same way. That's all! :wink:

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

if we could get 2 impact FA's for 5 mil each.. it would be a miracle..

there are many new coaches / staff around.. and I am betting that there will be a lot of FA impulse buying, although i do'nt see it going to bidding wars, i do see FA's selecting where they'd rather go, then just taking the top offer.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    Wilf knows what he's doing.
    In the business he's in, that also would be foolish.
    It won't be just Wilf. We have the Triangle of Power for making those decisions.

I've been saying for months now that just because we have the cap we shouldn't spend it all.

Bryzinski has done an excellent job maintaining cap space, while we still are able to sign some key players every year & I don't want us to get in a situation in the future where we need players, but can't sign them due to a lack of funds.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I think, just like in the past, we are in great Cap Shape....

Not only are we sitting on 25 mil, but we already are a team with many key players already signed, we also have a very nice mixture of vet and young players.

With FA just around the corner, I'de like to see us fill fill our most pressing needs with a couple of FA's. In FA I'de really like to see us go after one of the prime RB's available. James would be a solid FA to go after.....

I'de also like to see us go after a Solid LB.......At the same time, maybe try to sign one more player, maybe a CB or a SS, someone weve scouted who is on the verge of breaking out and flying under the radar right now...

This would be 3 FA picks, and I'm sure our Triangle of Death ( sounds nice doesn't it) will keep us in great Cap space for next year also....

I have alot of faith in our cap managment, weve done very well with it in the past, and I don't see us screwing it up now....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Del Rio Guest

It's not my money. Spend as much as we need to get the job done.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    It's not my money. Spend as much as we need to get the job done.
    Del, that sounds like my wife when I take her shopping... :lol: :wink:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

6-KINGS Guest

I say spend it on Free Agents and leave just enough to sign the top 4 picks.
    Trade the other picks for extra kicking tees.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

I agree with saving money for next year but what about this salary cap thing not beiong around in 2007? does that mean we can spend as much as we want this year and not worry about having enough money for players next year? Anyone know?

Del Rio Guest

Actually what is happening is there is a new barganing agreement that will be here soon.

The current cap is aroung 80 million and the new cap is estimated to be at around 102 million.

So that is why you have guys like Ray Lewis wanting new contracts. They want huge long term deals because they know that money will be there for the taking.

The NFLPA and the league have extended their 1993 agreement four times, most recently through the 2007 season; there is no salary cap in that last year. Negotiations are underway to extend it through 2011.

Technically you are right there is no Cap in 2007, but you can bet your ass there will be one. They are working on one now, and will probably get it done this year.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast