Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Spending money just because we have it -- Foolish!

Been thinking about how we are $25 million or so under the cap. A lot of people here are saying we should buy free agents like they are going out of style.
    Others here have a more conservative outlook. We are not a bad team. Just a few tweeks and we can be a good team! Unfortunately, most want to buy FA's until we have spent all the cap money. That, in my opinion is a foolish thing to do.
    First I don't think this year FA class is one of the better ones I have seen. Sure there are some great names out there but not what the Vikes really need except maybe two.
    Also we have to take into account that Mckinnie's contract is coming up. and so is Kevin Williams. And you can bet those guys are gonna have big seasons because they want to look at a big paycheck in the future.
    I just think it would be foolish to spend all our cap money this year when we have some pretty marque players on the roster already, who are in line for much larger contracts in the near future.
    We could get a couple of great FA players and still remain about $5-10 million under the cap and that's what I think the Vikes should do.

Your thoughts?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Spending money just because we have it -- Foolish!

I don't think anyone's suggesting that we drain all of our cap room. I agree with you that we shouldn't be overaggressive, though. Note that I don't think we should pull a Red McCombs either.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I would like to see us pick-up a few players and yet remain under the cap. I do not want to be a team that has to clean house in a few years and start over.

Proper salary cap management is a must.

Good post Cojo!

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

spending money just cause we have it would be foolish, we could end up like the redskins. however i think we need to gradually spend more money each year and get players that fit. i don't think we should grab a ton of guys this year just to eat up all the money cause we might need someone next year and we could get maybe 2 guys next year; plus we need to always sign key free agents from our team such as koren or nate possibly.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

This is exactly the point I've been trying to make! Well put Cojo! I don't want to spend a ton and take a shot at glory for only a couple years, only to end up bottom feeders at the end. I want to build us a dynasty, and be an elite team!
    ;-)

Prophet Guest

I'm all for wise cap management. Sitting on a pile of money under the cap when there are many needs is just as foolish as blowing it all just because it's there. It's easy to get into trouble with the cap, because you have one injury to a key player and have to hit the market for a replacement then you are in cap hell the next year. A delicate issue, but the Vikings have one of the best cappers in the league that will not be limited due to a tightwad owner like in the past. I have confidence that the Vikings will manage their cap well.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Spending money for the sake of spending money is unwise . . . just look at the Redskins. However, if there is something out there that fits into the gameplan AND it is dramatically better than what you have, then go get it.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I posted this just because there seems to be so many posters on here who want to get EVERY FA they can. But I suppose that's the way of some younger people who haven't ever had to work within a budget. So I wanted them to realize you can't get everything you want. Theat's why so many people get into trouble with credit cards. I hope this will help some people understand that when the FA starts people won't be holloring "we should have done this or that or gotten him for $20 million."
    It just isnt gonna happen!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I posted this just because there seems to be so many posters on here who want to get EVERY FA they can. But I suppose that's the way of some younger people who haven't ever had to work within a budget. So I wanted them to realize you can't get everything you want. Theat's why so many people get into trouble with credit cards. I hope this will help some people understand that when the FA starts people won't be holloring "we should have done this or that or gotten him for $20 million."
    It just isnt gonna happen!
    Thanks Dad! :razz:

:lol:

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

we want to spend, just not spend all of it. i would be happy with only spending around half of the room we got. with the cba coming, we want to be under the cap, a long ways under, so we are better set up for the time after.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast