Pioneer Press
    Posted on Mon, Aug. 07, 2006

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Speedy Williamson starting to settle in

Posted on Mon, Aug. 07, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings' Williamson: He's not just for deep balls anymore[/size]

DAVE CAMPBELL
    Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - Troy Williamson's greatest strength is still his speed, as evidenced by the long pass from Brad Johnson he caught and turned into an 80-yard score during a recent practice.

The second-year receiver, though, will be asked to do much more this season that simply go deep. The offense that coach Brad Childress has installed with the Vikings is heavy on shorter throws and reading the field, and Williamson must prove his versatility to earn a starting spot next to Koren Robinson.

So far, with barely more than a week of training camp elapsed, he has. The question is what he'll show during the regular season.

"I had one impression of Troy coming in, and one impression of Troy since I've been here," Childress said. "He's niftier. He's more nimble. He's got a little bit more wiggle than I had anticipated.

"I thought of him as a long-stride guy who was better at 60 yards than 40 yards. We're teaching him to use that speed in those bursts, because people will honor him for his on-paper speed."

Williamson has also shown Childress a better ability to hang onto the ball than the coach had given him credit for and more courage to go across the middle and make a catch in the belly of the defense.

"It's all coming together," Williamson said.

Minnesota's first-round draft pick last year, Williamson collected a modest 24 receptions, 372 yards and two touchdowns and was inactive twice. A sprained shoulder kept him out for one game, and the second absence came after then-coach Mike Tice wasn't happy with the way he handled the injury by pulling himself out of practice.

Williamson didn't have much of a chance to impress the new staff, either, because he developed a skin abscess this spring on his left hip - which stemmed from a childhood incident in which he suffered third-degree burns over 17 percent of his body. The abscess, which is essentially a boil, required surgery to repair and kept him out for six weeks.

While Williamson is still raw, especially after three seasons in a run-oriented offense at South Carolina, the Vikings have seen him adjust to the speed of the NFL game - one major hurdle all young players must clear, no matter how fast their feet are.

"When you make your break," Johnson said, "the ball is going to be right on you."

There has been a difference in Williamson's demeanor this year. He was often shy and withdrawn as a rookie, but he appears more upbeat and confident.

"Last year he would let certain things get to him," Robinson said. "Now I feel like he understands what the NFL is about. He can't take nothing personal.

"He wants that pressure on his shoulders so he can go out there and prove that they took him in the first round last year for some reason."

Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson and Billy McMullen are all experienced, and Robinson was given a three-year contract worth up to $12.7 million to be the go-to guy. Williamson's speed, though, distinguishes him from the rest of the depth chart.

"With the type of offense we run, you've got to run more than just a deep route," he said. "You've got to run a curl route, an in route. It makes it a lot easier for me, so the defense knows that's what I'm about. ... It's a catch-and-run offense. That's good for me."

Vikings' Williamson: He's not just for deep balls anymore

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

carolinafan is offline Rookie

No kidding.......DUHHHH

I've been trying to tell all of the Viking fans what these two articles say since the day TW was drafted. I thought it comical to watch "experts" and sports writers who didn't know a damn thing about Troy talk about he needs to work on his hands, or he needs to run better routes, or he can't catch over the middle, or he is only a home run ball type of receiver. I was like WTF? TW catches everything thrown his way in games and he can take a 5 yard pass to the house in a flash. He never shyed away from on over the middle pass. His speed is so unreal in short or long distances, DB's misjudge angles like crazy.

Tice was smart to draft TW, and he was dumb the way he tried to use him. Even Brad Johnson said it wasn't fair to put a guy in and only throw long to him. The D knows what's coming. TW had plenty to learn as a rookie, like ALL rookies do. But the stuff that was bantered around on this board about his route running and catching ability was comical. He dropped one ball, then post after post was made about it. He drops a second one out of hundreds thrown his way, and the stories take on a life of their own.

Like I said, you will not miss Randy Moss in two years.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I saw plenty from TW last year to know he's the real deal, he ran routes better than I intispated and he had better hands than i anticipated. You could see the explosiveness when he got his hands on the ball, i'm ready to get that feeling "uh oh, if he makes this move he's gone", and with him palying full time #2 he's gonna get his oportunities.

I'll admit i didn't want to draft him, i seen no film and heard he couldn't run a route or catch a ball for nothing. It couldn't have been further from the truth.

It wil be alot harder for defenses to key in on him, they won't know what to expect from his route. We have two very explosive starting WR's, this season should be fun. If there is one player i'm ready to see this year its williamson.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i really hope the guy has learned to adjust to the ball in the air rather than looking like a blinded outfielder missing a routine fly ball..theres no doubting his potential, i just really want to see a player worthy of being drafted #7 overall emerging NOW
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: No kidding.......DUHHHH

"carolinafan" wrote:
    I've been trying to tell all of the Viking fans what these two articles say since the day TW was drafted. I thought it comical to watch "experts" and sports writers who didn't know a gol 'darnit thing about Troy talk about he needs to work on his hands, or he needs to run better routes, or he can't catch over the middle, or he is only a home run ball type of receiver. I was like WTF? TW catches everything thrown his way in games and he can take a 5 yard pass to the house in a flash. He never shyed away from on over the middle pass. His speed is so unreal in short or long distances, DB's misjudge angles like crazy.

Tice was smart to draft TW, and he was dumb the way he tried to use him. Even Brad Johnson said it wasn't fair to put a guy in and only throw long to him. The D knows what's coming. TW had plenty to learn as a rookie, like ALL rookies do. But the stuff that was bantered around on this board about his route running and catching ability was comical. He dropped one ball, then post after post was made about it. He drops a second one out of hundreds thrown his way, and the stories take on a life of their own.

thats a little bold, only jerry rice in his prime could make me feel that way..randy moss had like the best first 6 years to a football career out of any receiver in the history of the game..il miss randy moss when troy williamson strings together 6 straight seasons of like 1300 yards receiving with 12-15 TDs
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"olson_10" wrote:
    i really hope the guy has learned to adjust to the ball in the air rather than looking like a blinded outfielder missing a routine fly ball..theres no doubting his potential, i just really want to see a player worthy of being drafted #7 overall emerging NOW
    Yeah he didn't do very well in that department, but alot of those balls were way off target and he was covered by the DB, the DB new exactly why he was in the game, Go Deep so they played off. I believe things will be a whole lot different this season, he won't be running the same deep route.

I was watching some of his college highlights and he didn't seem to have a real porblem with it then, i think its all about him getting his head turned and locating the ball, hopefully Wyatt's working with him.

Re: No kidding.......DUHHHH

"olson_10" wrote:
    "carolinafan" wrote:
    I've been trying to tell all of the Viking fans what these two articles say since the day TW was drafted. I thought it comical to watch "experts" and sports writers who didn't know a gol 'darnit thing about Troy talk about he needs to work on his hands, or he needs to run better routes, or he can't catch over the middle, or he is only a home run ball type of receiver. I was like WTF? TW catches everything thrown his way in games and he can take a 5 yard pass to the house in a flash. He never shyed away from on over the middle pass. His speed is so unreal in short or long distances, DB's misjudge angles like crazy.

thats a little bold, only jerry rice in his prime could make me feel that way..randy moss had like the best first 6 years to a football career out of any receiver in the history of the game..il miss randy moss when troy williamson strings together 6 straight seasons of like 1300 yards receiving with 12-15 TDs
    A superbowl would ease the pain real quick.

I agree though, nobody's gonna top moss, not even Rice's first six years, moss of a freak of nature. He provided some great memories.

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I saw plenty from TW last year to know he's the real deal, he ran routes better than I intispated and he had better hands than i anticipated. You could see the explosiveness when he got his hands on the ball, i'm ready to get that feeling "uh oh, if he makes this move he's gone", and with him palying full time #2 he's gonna get his oportunities.

I'll admit i didn't want to draft him, i seen no film and heard he couldn't run a route or catch a ball for nothing. It couldn't have been further from the truth.

It wil be alot harder for defenses to key in on him, they won't know what to expect from his route. We have two very explosive starting WR's, this season should be fun. If there is one player i'm ready to see this year its williamson.
    You weren't alone last year in your initial assessment errors of TW last year. I understand how it happened b/c he wasn't in a high profile passing attack and didn't get the ESPN hype of some others. At SC, I'm like you say you are now, I couldn't wait to see him catch a ball b/c I knew it might be 6. His moves and speed were unreal. He can jump out of a gym too. The problem is, some games, Lou Holtz would only call TW's number 2 or 3 times the whole game. To lead the powerful SEC in receiving was remarkable.

When TW became draft week news on ESPN, and other places, people just started making up crap about him. I was blown away. I became a Vike fan the day TW was drafted, and found this board. I was having to defend TW like crazy to people who had never even seen him play. One poster asked if I was TW's dad LOL. SEC coaches knew how dangerous he is and can be on EVERY play. I was watching Beyond the Glory on Jerry Rice a few days ago, and Rice dropped so many passes his first year in games with SF, he was getting booed. His coaches and teammates had to console him and work hard to keep him from being depressed. Rookie seasons are hard for everyone, not just TW.

He's going to be fun this year.

"olson_10" wrote:
    Like Childress has said over and over, TW catches everything very well and he was surprised b/c of what he had heard. What he had heard was nothing more than junk like what was written on this board. TW said he sometimes had trouble picking up the ball in the air, BUT he still caught the dang ball. That's a far stretch from your analogy of a blind outfielder missing routine balls. I didn't get to see many Vike games last year, but I never saw TW miss a ball he should have caught. And if he did, I'll guarantee you it wasn't more than one in an actual game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast