Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Mjolnir is offline Waterboy
    I am so excited about this! I've been a Vikings fan since I first got into American Football at university and the chance to see my team play live is an absolute dream come true. On the other hand, I know how much it must suck for fans in Minny to lose a home game, and I do feel bad about that.

There is a far bigger fanbase for the NFL over here than you might think (and has been since Channel 4 first started broadcasting games in the 80's). Granted it'll never be one of the UK's 'main' sports but it has a good sized following. I also think the International Series games do have an effect on growing that support - one of my workmates came along to the Niners/Broncos game a few years back out of interest and he's since gone from being someone with almost no knowledge of the game to a proper fan (49ers).

There are a number of amateur British teams as well as a good few university teams. I even had a go at playing Cornerback for one myself (Antoine Winfield I was not ). But then I first laid my hands on a football when I was already 20, there are now youth team programmes starting up that will hopefully get people playing the game earlier and developing their skills. As part of that, being able to see top-flight football being played live does wonders for wanting to play the game yourself.

Either way, I'll be there next September - doing my best to keep Vikings homefield advantage alive in London.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Steelers vs. Vikings Across the Pond in 2013, Does England Care?

Steelers vs. Vikings Across the Pond in 2013, Does England Care? | BallHyped Sports News Network

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

For most of them it is a novelty and nothing more. They donít know the names of the teams or the names of the players and they are certainly not all that familiar with the rules. The NFL coming to England is like the Harlem Globetrotters coming to your neck of the woods. It is entertaining, but you donít need to be a huge basketball fan to enjoy the game.
    Thing is, people pay money to see the Globetrotters & for novelty items. The NFL could care less if the people buying the tickets & spending money on NFL items are actual fans of NFL teams or know virtually nothing about them, as long as they are buying tickets & merchandise.

I don't really agree with the thrust of that article because it lumps all 'English' people (never mind the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish people who travel all the way to Wembley for the games) into one homogenous blob. 'The English don't like Football' 'The English like Soccer'. You can't sum up an entire country's sporting tastes as if they were all the same. I'm not a huge fan of soccer but a big football fan. Likewise you could likely find thousands of people in America who don't like football. It doesn't really mean anything.

I agree with singersp that the logic of the International Series games is likely money (selling out an 80,000 seater stadium + merchandise is a big cash cow), but just because of that I don't think it's fair to assume that football fans in the UK don't exist or are somehow less 'real fans'. My workmate is sat next to me right now (another 49ers fan), he stayed up till about 5am to watch his team play and is paying the price at work this morning. That's fairly typical for a British NFL fan.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    For most of them it is a novelty and nothing more. They donít know the names of the teams or the names of the players and they are certainly not all that familiar with the rules. The NFL coming to England is like the Harlem Globetrotters coming to your neck of the woods. It is entertaining, but you donít need to be a huge basketball fan to enjoy the game.
    Fact is the guy writing this article is an arse and shows no attempt to look at the fanbases outside of his own yard. Whilst 99.9% of the people don't have a 'hometown' team to root for or a family tradition ( at the moment ) that doesn't make them any less passionate about the game or the teams that they have nailed their colours to. Given that the game was only presented to the public in this country less than 30 years ago then it has made great leaps and bounds in terms of popularity and support. Of course it is going to be a minority sport compared to soccer and rugby but people are more aware of it - have seen that this week with a number of people in the office asking me about the Vikes game next year knowing that I'm a fan - 20 years ago people would not have raised an eyebrow about an NFL game in London
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I can see why they would do this after the resounding success of the European league that the NFL started. What was it called again?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I can see why they would do this after the resounding success of the European league that the NFL started. What was it called again?
    NFL Europe was the last name of it, when it closed most teams were based in Germany and were enjoying good attendances at games.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

I wasn't old enough to remember the London Monarchs/NFLE but I've spoken to a few UK NFL fans who remember it and they said the biggest problem was that it was mostly made up of developmental players mixed in with a few old vets like The Fridge. The quality of football never matched that of the NFL, and that's really what people want to see. The 32 NFL teams represent the pinnacle of the sport, and a European-based development squad will never really be the same.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I wasn't old enough to remember the London Monarchs/NFLE but I've spoken to a few UK NFL fans who remember it and they said the biggest problem was that it was mostly made up of developmental players mixed in with a few old vets like The Fridge. The quality of football never matched that of the NFL, and that's really what people want to see. The 32 NFL teams represent the pinnacle of the sport, and a European-based development squad will never really be the same.
    living in greece, and having lived and been around europe the last 14 years i could say it's a similar start to the nba vs other leagues.. but really basket ball had no competing sport similar to it. though especially the uk, and other parts of europe have rugby. it is a competing sport, as it also uses those kinda guys. this is why i never really thought the american football leagues would ever really take off.

tell er 49rs friend.. i do the same thing.. 5 am game starts for late games.. and mid afternoon games i'm going to bed 3 am.. try not to miss a vikings game, or the call to dad during the game. one of the evils of living over here!! you should try also being a hockey fan/player.. NHL games are almost always at night.. so it's wake up watch the game.. go to work feeling like a zombie!! well.. except for this year where we might not have any games at all..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    Fact is the guy writing this article is an arse and shows no attempt to look at the fanbases outside of his own yard. Whilst 99.9% of the people don't have a 'hometown' team to root for or a family tradition ( at the moment ) that doesn't make them any less passionate about the game or the teams that they have nailed their colours to. Given that the game was only presented to the public in this country less than 30 years ago then it has made great leaps and bounds in terms of popularity and support. Of course it is going to be a minority sport compared to soccer and rugby but people are more aware of it - have seen that this week with a number of people in the office asking me about the Vikes game next year knowing that I'm a fan - 20 years ago people would not have raised an eyebrow about an NFL game in London
    99% of the NFL fans in England or 99% of the English people? Big difference.

I don't think he's trying to say that most NFL fans in England aren't passionate about the game. What he's trying to say is most people in England care more about soccer than they do football & I believe that's a reasonable assumption. Do you honestly believe that 99% of England is passionate about NFL football or more passionate about football than they are soccer? Do you believe that 99% of people going to the NFL games in London are passionate about NFL football?

I thought he drove that point home when he said we have soccer fans here in the USA, but the majority of the people here are football fans far more so than soccer fans.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast