Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Vikings To Host Steelers For Regular Season Home Game In London During 2013 Season

September 29th...

Biggest negative IMHO is the early BYE.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

I would go to every game, if i was a season ticket holder. Then again, i ride N-star for free and already have a ticket, so my only cost would be any food i get at the game.
    As for london, i like the idea. My wife doesn't fly, so if all goes well i will be going alone. Unfortunately my drinking days are over, but maybe i could go early and see some of the sites.

Regarding attendance being low, i don't happen to think it has anything to do with people waiting for the new stadium. There are other things to do on weekends(close up the cabin, hunting, fishing). I don't think 3-13 helped, and people are waiting for 'the other wheel to come off' like it seems to eventually, with the professional sports teams in this state.

BTW: Target field was enough of a draw in it's 3rd year to still draw 3M fans, obviously it wasn't all due to the product on the field.

I was just reminded by wifey our ann. is sept. 16, even though it's not, if the game fell on or near that date i'd be spending it alone, unless she learns to like to fly between now and then.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    I'm not a big fan of this whole London experiment. The NFL is what it is because of the fans over here in the US, and this experiment is all about greed. I think taking a home game away is an FU to the fan base, especially so soon after putting them through a hostage type situation in order to get a new stadium.

It's not like the attendance is down because we went 13-3 last year. If you want sell outs, put a better product on the field and stop hiring nobodies. I too think London will eventually be inserted into the superbowl rotation and that'll be a huge FU to us fans over here.

If London/Europe wants to host NFL football games, they can have the preseason, or that stupid ass probowl. Hell they can have all the preseason games as far as I'm concerned. They could host 16 games in 16 different cities for an entire month, but stop giving them our regular season games. We only get 8 for christ sake. The NFL would still spread it's brand like it wants and make more money at the same time because nobody over here gives a crap about preseason.

It's just a matter of time before they're taking more home games from us to spread their brand to other countries around the world and that's what I'm worried about where this is whole thing is headed.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Sources: Vikings get game in London

I can hardly wait to see what innovative way the team finds to screw that game up and lose before a world wide audience.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I can hardly wait to see what innovative way the team finds to screw that game up and lose before a world wide audience.
    To be fair, most of the world still doesn't give a crap about football.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    You're probably thinking of '83 when the Vikes played in London for the Global Cup against St Louis Cardinals with a 28-10 victory.
    They did play the Bears in Gothenburg in '88 as well - winning 28-21, add in two American Bowl games in the 90's as well all which were won. So one good thing is that the Vikes are undefeated playing outside of the US.
    I went to that game :-)
    Purple till i die

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Well obviously I'm ecstatic about them coming over here. I've been to all but one of the IS games and the atmosphere and attendance is superb with tickets selling out in 45 minutes a few times. I have seen them play twice in the US now but I know there are 1000s of fans over here who might not otherwise get the opportunity to ever watch their team play.

I know and understand you lose a home game but please remember it is A home game and you get to sit every other game in front of the tv at a reasonable time in the day to watch away games where as we often have to wait till 1.30am to see ours.

I for one am super excited to go and watch them play get a chance to meet one or two of the players maybe get a signature or two as well. I envy that you can go to Mankato and watch them practice and speak to them occasionally. Cut us some slack it's one game
    Purple till i die

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post

In fact, teams have done pretty well after a London trip. The NFL instituted a BYE week after a London game for all teams since 2009, and those teams have gone a collective 5-1 in the following game. The lone loss was to Tampa Bay, who only went 4-12 that year anyway. The Bears even pulled off three wins in a row after a London game, and we have seen four playoff teams (including one super bowl champion) play a London game since it started in 2007.
    Probably has more to do with the teams that were sent over there, than it was the fact that they played in London. They don't typically send the worst teams over there to attract crowds, so naturally I'm assuming the teams were at least good & I expect good teams to win there or here.

The fact that they had a bye week plays a role in it as well.
    Last edited by singersp; 10-17-2012 at 05:14 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    You're probably thinking of '83 when the Vikes played in London for the Global Cup against St Louis Cardinals with a 28-10 victory.
    They did play the Bears in Gothenburg in '88 as well - winning 28-21, add in two American Bowl games in the 90's as well all which were won. So one good thing is that the Vikes are undefeated playing outside of the US.
    Thanx Anglo! The Global Cup is the one I was thinking of. I knew it was in the early 80's & I do remember them playing the Bears overseas as well.

BTW, how many Global Cups & America Bowls have the Packers won? :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_The_Viking View Post
    I went to that game :-)
    and I intend to be at the next one as well.... mentioned it to my dear lady wife whos said no problem I'll let you sort out the tickets - as long as we're not going to Wembley by train !
    When I said it would be by car but that we'd to drive early to allow for traffic she said fine
    As we missed going to Minny last year, this year and not sure about next year then I will be looking at the expensive seats to make up for it
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast