Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64
  1. #21
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Missing a home game hurts the team. This is especially valid if the other team is an east coast team with deep pocket fans.

    Going to London hurts the team. It could harm their record; it could hurt their playoff chances, and the travel and jet lag harms the players' health for a few games.

    The Vikings may make a few extra bucks, but it is not great news for Vikings fans.
    Every game could harm a team's record, playoff chances, and health. There is no evidence that playing a game in London changes this.

    In fact, teams have done pretty well after a London trip. The NFL instituted a BYE week after a London game for all teams since 2009, and those teams have gone a collective 5-1 in the following game. The lone loss was to Tampa Bay, who only went 4-12 that year anyway. The Bears even pulled off three wins in a row after a London game, and we have seen four playoff teams (including one super bowl champion) play a London game since it started in 2007.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #22
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Every game could harm a team's record, playoff chances, and health. There is no evidence that playing a game in London changes this.

    In fact, teams have done pretty well after a London trip. The NFL instituted a BYE week after a London game for all teams since 2009, and those teams have gone a collective 5-1 in the following game. The lone loss was to Tampa Bay, who only went 4-12 that year anyway. The Bears even pulled off three wins in a row after a London game, and we have seen four playoff teams (including one super bowl champion) play a London game since it started in 2007.
    There is evidence that the Vikings play better at home than on the road. In 2013 we have 9 road games and 7 home games. Sure the Vikings could win in London, but I like their chances better in the Metrodome with 60,000 Vikings fans.

  3. #23
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    There is evidence that the Vikings play better at home than on the road. In 2013 we have 9 road games and 7 home games. Sure the Vikings could win in London, but I like their chances better in the Metrodome with 60,000 Vikings fans.
    OK, I can concede that.

    Although you might want to change that to 57,000 Vikings fans, since that is what we are averaging right now.

    Week 1 vs Jags - 56,607
    Week 3 vs 49ers - 57,288
    Week 5 vs Titans - 57,652

    On the bright side... attendance is going up.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #24
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    OK, I can concede that.

    Although you might want to change that to 57,000 Vikings fans, since that is what we are averaging right now.

    Week 1 vs Jags - 56,607
    Week 3 vs 49ers - 57,288
    Week 5 vs Titans - 57,652

    On the bright side... attendance is going up.
    Something about a 3-13 season has a negative impact on attendance. Strange. Doesn't change the fact that the fans(the 57,000 dedicated fans) and the local economy are negatively effected.
    If I were a fair weather fan from ND it probably wouldn't bother me either.

  5. #25
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Something about a 3-13 season has a negative impact on attendance. Strange. Doesn't change the fact that the fans(the 57,000 dedicated fans) and the local economy are negatively effected.
    If I were a fair weather fan from ND it probably wouldn't bother me either.
    lol. So the fair weather fans in MN get a pass? I still have my season tickets - my lack of attendance this year has more to do with me launching a new company and Mrs Nodak going back to school to get her doctorate than the venue or last season's record.

    But the fact remains that the dome isn't selling out. And of those 57,000 "loyal" fans, how many of them actually make every home game. Even among season ticket holders that number is surprisingly low. You have season tickets, right? Can you honestly tell me that you make every game every year?

    You can complain about it being a FU to the fans, but keep in mind that if the Vikings hadn't opted to take advantage of the new attendance rules none of the home games this year would have been aired on local tv. THAT would have been a big FU to fans and the state, especially after the new stadium was pushed through. Call me crazy, but I am OK with the Vikings recouping some of their loss by hosting an international game.

    And you argued for years that the gameday impact on the local economy was negligible and fungible. It was one of your main arguments against public subsidy for a stadium. Now all of a sudden missing one game has a negative economic impact? I don't buy it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #26
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    lol. So the fair weather fans in MN get a pass? I still have my season tickets - my lack of attendance this year has more to do with me launching a new company and Mrs Nodak going back to school to get her doctorate than the venue or last season's record.

    But the fact remains that the dome isn't selling out. And of those 57,000 "loyal" fans, how many of them actually make every home game. Even among season ticket holders that number is surprisingly low. You have season tickets, right? Can you honestly tell me that you make every game every year?

    You can complain about it being a FU to the fans, but keep in mind that if the Vikings hadn't opted to take advantage of the new attendance rules none of the home games this year would have been aired on local tv. THAT would have been a big FU to fans and the state, especially after the new stadium was pushed through. Call me crazy, but I am OK with the Vikings recouping some of their loss by hosting an international game.

    And you argued for years that the gameday impact on the local economy was negligible and fungible. It was one of your main arguments against public subsidy for a stadium. Now all of a sudden missing one game has a negative economic impact? I don't buy it.
    Just giving you a little ribbing, I know you have good reasons not to attend all the games(living in ND is a good enough reason on it's own).
    I have been to every home game the last 4 years or so(other than the one in detroit), honestly.

    Now I just have to convince the fiance that London would be a great place to go for our honeymoon. (tough sell as she's a Bears fan).

  7. #27
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,778
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The Vikings have played overseas before also. Someone will have to refresh my memory, but I believe it may have been in Spain & we played the Bears & won some type of World Cup.
    You're probably thinking of '83 when the Vikes played in London for the Global Cup against St Louis Cardinals with a 28-10 victory.
    They did play the Bears in Gothenburg in '88 as well - winning 28-21, add in two American Bowl games in the 90's as well all which were won. So one good thing is that the Vikes are undefeated playing outside of the US.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  8. #28
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I have been to every home game the last 4 years or so(other than the one in detroit), honestly.
    I am both impressed and jealous.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Now I just have to convince the fiance that London would be a great place to go for our honeymoon. (tough sell as she's a Bears fan).
    I tried with my wife. She didn't even give me a Hell No, she just walked out of the room...

    I took that to mean yes, so I am going to book airline tickets... ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #29
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,778
    Blog Entries
    4
    And has been confirmed that we will be hosting the Steelers for that game...now to try and get tickets!
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  10. #30
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Why is it that until now, all the games were terrible matchups involving such crap teams as the 49ers and buccaneers. The Steelers game was one I was planning on coming down for even a couple years ago, now that's not an option.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •