Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Attendance is WAY down in the dome right now - we haven't sold out any games this season. People don't really want to go to games at the metrodump when they know that a new stadium is only a couple of years away.
    If what you say is true, it is a very sad and telling thing about our fan base. You are telling me that fans are more interested in the building than in the team and watching them play? I hope you didn't really mean that because if you do, then 5 years into the 40 year investment when fans grow tired of looking at the stadium, the team is going to have a hard time selling tickets for the next 35 years.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Tad7 View Post
    I would've preferred that they not waste home games in London until the time when they have to play some games at TCF
    Maybe we will play multiple years in London. Better than playing home games in California.

It is also not an FU to the fans. It is a way to promote the Vikings. The NBA does it by putting foreigners on the team to attract that attention but there aren't many foreigners playing football that will make it in the NFL. One good thing is the game won't be blacked out.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    If what you say is true, it is a very sad and telling thing about our fan base. You are telling me that fans are more interested in the building than in the team and watching them play? I hope you didn't really mean that because if you do, then 5 years into the 40 year investment when fans grow tired of looking at the stadium, the team is going to have a hard time selling tickets for the next 35 years.
    The Vikings have had periods where we had down attendance years. When you put a winning product back on the field they will come. The fact that the city doesn't have 7 million people residing inside the city alone makes MN a difficult sell out. Other smaller market teams have similar issues.

But on the upside, I think that we have some appeal or enough of appeal to get a London game. Yes, I think that we have some exciting players, like AP and Harvin that are marketable overseas. It might even get a few people from overseas to come to MN for a game.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think people are still watching from home. Attendance is down across the league, and big screen television sales are up.
    A nicer stadium will make attending the game much more attractive to more people.
    Last edited by jmcdon00; 10-16-2012 at 01:04 AM.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Let's not forget that we aren't the first team going over to London to host a game. The Pats played over there before, the bills played I think the bears in a game in Canada (granted Buffalo is damn near Canada but whatever). It's just the NFL showcasing it's product.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    The Vikings have had periods where we had down attendance years. When you put a winning product back on the field they will come. The fact that the city doesn't have 7 million people residing inside the city alone makes MN a difficult sell out. Other smaller market teams have similar issues.

But on the upside, I think that we have some appeal or enough of appeal to get a London game. Yes, I think that we have some exciting players, like AP and Harvin that are marketable overseas. It might even get a few people from overseas to come to MN for a game.
    Thats one thing the league is counting on as the Vikes will be a bigger draw than the Jags with AP and Harvin alone. 90% of the people going to the London games are neutrals ( which makes calling it a 'home' game bit of a stretch ). On the forums here people are already looking forward to seeing the Vikes and, if the right team is picked as the away team, then it will be more popular than the Jags game. Zygi is going to be very happy as he will guaranteed a large payout from that game.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    Let's not forget that we aren't the first team going over to London to host a game. The Pats played over there before, the bills played I think the bears in a game in Canada (granted Buffalo is damn near Canada but whatever). It's just the NFL showcasing it's product.
    The Vikings have played overseas before also. Someone will have to refresh my memory, but I believe it may have been in Spain & we played the Bears & won some type of World Cup.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    This doesn't bother me. The Vikings are one of the most obvious choices right now.

The Vikings aren't under any lease, so they are able to play overseas without any financial repercussions.

And I don't think it is an FU to the fans - especially the season ticket holders. Attendance is WAY down in the dome right now - we haven't sold out any games this season. People don't really want to go to games at the metrodump when they know that a new stadium is only a couple of years away. As a season ticket holder, I am going to save $200 by giving up a home game. Hell, if they can give up a game every year until the stadium opens I will be thrilled.

This also wasn't some big surprise - this has been talked ever since the stadium bill was signed.
    Just because you don't mind missing a game to save a few hundred dollars, doesn't mean there aren't die-hard fans who are as willing and want to see their team all 8 regular season games.

I can understand your perspective, since you have a very long drive, but many fans live a lot closer to the dome. Season ticket holders aren't part of that "not so;d out" crowd, since their tickets are bought & paid for.

People don't really want to go to games at the metrodump when they know that a new stadium is only a couple of years away.
    I'm not buying this at all. Fans are a fan of the team & not the stadium or at least they are supposed to be. Shouldn't matter where they play. Sure the new stadium will attract more fans wanting to go to a game to see it for themselves, just as new malls, stores & restaurants do, but that onslaught tapers off once the newness is gone.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Just because you don't mind missing a game to save a few hundred dollars, doesn't mean there aren't die-hard fans who are as willing and want to see their team all 8 regular season games.

I can understand your perspective, since you have a very long drive, but many fans live a lot closer to the dome. Season ticket holders aren't part of that "not so;d out" crowd, since their tickets are bought & paid for.

I'm not buying this at all. Fans are a fan of the team & not the stadium or at least they are supposed to be. Shouldn't matter where they play. Sure the new stadium will attract more fans wanting to go to a game to see it for themselves, just as new malls, stores & restaurants do, but that onslaught tapers off once the newness is gone.
    Fans are fans of the team, but the fan experience while at the game plays a LOT into it. You're right, the season ticket holders tend to be more die hard and will go no matter what, but that only accounts for about 50k seats. The rest are made up of people who purchase on a game by game basis. Now that we have a new stadium on the horizon, people are falling into the "grass is greener" trap. All of sudden little things that they glossed over before are suddenly major issues that they can't wait to get away from.

You see the same thing when someone turns in their two week notice. Suddenly everything about their old job is perceived worse, partially in an effort to make the next job seem better. In the military we called it "short-itis".

Some (not all) of the fans have started checking out of the metrodome, preferring to save their money for the new stadium. I expect it to get worse before it gets better, especially next year, which will be the last full season in the dome. In 2014, we will play part in the dome, part in TCF, and we will start to get the nostalgic fans back for one more yee-haw in the dome.

Obviously a winning season (which we are doing a good job working towards) will help alleviate a considerable amount of that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Missing a home game hurts the team. This is especially valid if the other team is an east coast team with deep pocket fans.

Going to London hurts the team. It could harm their record; it could hurt their playoff chances, and the travel and jet lag harms the players' health for a few games.

The Vikings may make a few extra bucks, but it is not great news for Vikings fans.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast