Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Souhan: Vikings could take lessons from Wolves

http://www.startribune.com/souhan/story/1357692.html
    [size=12pt]The Timberwolves are building the team with young players and an eye to the future. Brad Childress has pinned his team's hopes on a little-known quarterback. If it doesn't work out, rebuilding could start at the top.[/size]
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Souhan: Vikings could take lessons from Wolves

The reason the vikings have been in a rut for such a while is because of our weak division. Even if we stink, such as last year, our division sucks enough to give us 4 wins at least. We end up with 6-8 wins and don't get a high pick.

We could have had Jay Cutler or Matt Leinhart in a stronger division or if we were in the AFC.

Just spewing sensible non-sense.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Same old song and dance.

People need to leave T-Jack alone!!!! The man will prevail, mark my words.

That is a good article by Souhan. If QB Jackson does not pan out, Childress will take a lot of heat for not picking up someone like Garcia or trading for someone like Trent Green.

It might even cost him his job if it proves disastrous. His approval rating amongst head coaches was even less than George Bush's approval rating by the end of last season. That is a very high risk to take on an unproven QB who many feel is not ready yet for prime time. I feel Jackson would have been much better off sitting on the bench for a few years before being thrown to the wolves, but who knows, maybe he is the real deal and Childress comes out of this looking like a genius!
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I feel Jackson would have been much better off sitting on the bench for a few years before being thrown to the wolves,
    Tell that to the Steelers who won the Super Bowl with a rookie. QB's should not have to sit on a bench for 3 years unless they have a quality QB in front of them.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I feel Jackson would have been much better off sitting on the bench for a few years before being thrown to the wolves,
    Tell that to the Steelers who won the Super Bowl with a rookie. QB's should not have to sit on a bench for 3 years unless they have a quality QB in front of them.
    That is a poor comparison to make. The Steelers had a head coach that had been there since we hired Denny Green and had a stable coaching staff along with an established group of veteran players that knew their jobs and could take the pressure off of Ben.

Compare that to Childress who was hired in the second year of Wilf's ownership having never been a head coach at any level and having never played at the collegiate or pro level and came in with a desire to completely retool the team and transform it into a totally different team mechanically,physically and mentally.

With those differences there is no way you could use one to justify the other.

Childress said himself when TJ was drafted that it was a 3 year project, so it is no stretch to say that he may be forcing the issue by starting him now instead of bringing in another vet to run the team while TJ gets prepared.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Souhan is full of CRAP!

Not many knocked the Broncos for starting Cutler and letting Plummer go...and the Broncos ended up not making the playoffs.
    Last time I checked, Shanahan still has his job and is still considered an offensive genius for the most part.
    Even if TJack stumbles out of the gate, he should eventually be fine if he can show that he has a grasp of the offense and can play decently under pressure.
    GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE BEFORE HANGING HIM OUT TO DRY!!!!
    Sheeesh....
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Angel_Martin" wrote:
    That is a good article by Souhan. If QB Jackson does not pan out, Childress will take a lot of heat for not picking up someone like Garcia or trading for someone like Trent Green.

It might even cost him his job if it proves disastrous. His approval rating amongst head coaches was even less than George Bush's approval rating by the end of last season. That is a very high risk to take on an unproven QB who many feel is not ready yet for prime time. I feel Jackson would have been much better off sitting on the bench for a few years before being thrown to the wolves, but who knows, maybe he is the real deal and Childress comes out of this looking like a genius!
    His approval rating only counts with the man who signs his checks.
    And if I'm not mistaken the owner has come out repeatedly saying how much confidence he has in this current HC and his staff.

Additionally, as with all the players drafted, it wasn't just the ole Chiller up in the war room saying I want this guy and that guy and that guy.
    It was a combination of all people involved from the scout all the way up to the capologist with the HC and his assistants in there somewhere.

With that said, this staff has done a good job with respect to selecting talented players who fit the scheme last year and again (even though they haven't played an NFL game yet) this year.

Why would the Chiller loose his job if one player (i.e. TJ doesn't pan out).

gol 'darnit haters.
    Give it a break.

Lets try to at least look like we know what the heck we are talking about when you make football posts on here.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    That is a poor comparison to make. The Steelers had a head coach that had been there since we hired Denny Green and had a stable coaching staff along with an established group of veteran players that knew their jobs and could take the pressure off of Ben.

Compare that to Childress who was hired in the second year of Wilf's ownership having never been a head coach at any level and having never played at the collegiate or pro level and came in with a desire to completely retool the team and transform it into a totally different team mechanically,physically and mentally.

Childress said himself when TJ was drafted that it was a 3 year project, so it is no stretch to say that he may be forcing the issue by starting him now instead of bringing in another vet to run the team while TJ gets prepared.

I will admit to that, however, is it to far a stretch to admit that maybe TJ is a quicker learner that what the current staff (not just the Chiller) thought he was gonna be?

Face it, the kid look good.
    Damn it he even looked better than I thought he was gonna during the game.
    Maybe just maybe, the QB coach did his job coaching the kid and getting him ready, the OC did his job and scripted some plays that fit his strength (a few role outs, a few in the pocket, a couple of runs) and the HC oversaw it all.

Why is it so hard to grasp that this kid may be the answer and our coaches now a hellof alot more than we do?

Give it a rest.
    Damn.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

I will admit to that, however, is it to far a stretch to admit that maybe TJ is a quicker learner that what the current staff (not just the Chiller) thought he was gonna be?

Face it, the kid look good.
    gol 'darnit it he even looked better than I thought he was gonna during the game.
    Maybe just maybe, the QB coach did his job coaching the kid and getting him ready, the OC did his job and scripted some plays that fit his strength (a few role outs, a few in the pocket, a couple of runs) and the HC oversaw it all.

Why is it so hard to grasp that this kid may be the answer and our coaches now a hellof alot more than we do?

Give it a rest.
    gol 'darnit.
    Hey

Never did I say he wan't going to pan out.

But if you are going to call out every poster who says something you don't like and doesn't back it up with some fact or stat, you need to do the same for everyone and that comparison sucked. That is the only thing I was pointing out and I did provide a basis for why I thought the comparison sucked. None of it had anything to do with whether I thought Childress or TJ will work out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast