Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Souhan With Perspective on Rookie Coaches

Courtesy of the Star Tribune for your comments:

For those considering the Vikings a playoff contender, this week represents a severe test of Frazier's abilities. For those with a more realistic view of this team, these losses could have been predicted. Even coaching legends lose early in their tenures.

Bill Belichick went 6-10 his first year, didn't post a winning record until his fourth season, and didn't win a Super Bowl title until his seventh, and then only after Tom Brady replaced injured Drew Bledsoe.

Tom Landry went 0-11-1 his first season and didn't post a winning record until his seventh season. Chuck Noll went 1-13 his first season and didn't post a winning record until his fourth season. Bill Walsh went 2-14 his first season, Jimmy Johnson 1-15.

Vikings history, too, suggests that becoming a head coach requires a learning curve. Norm Van Brocklin went 3-11 his first year. Bud Grant was 3-8-3. Les Steckel went 3-13, then Grant returned to go 7-9.

Mike Tice lost his first five games; Brad Childress went 6-10 his first season. Only Jerry Burns and Denny Green made immediate inroads. Burns went 9-7 in 1986 and didn't suffer a losing record until 1990. Green assembled one of the best coaching staffs in recent NFL history -- including Monte Kiffin, Tom Moore, Willie Shaw, Tyrone Willingham, John Michels, John Teerlinck and Tony Dungy -- and went 11-5 after replacing Burns.

For all of his inspirational talk about contending immediately and winning a championship eventually, Frazier, a rookie head coach with a new offensive coordinator and quarterback and no offseason in which to introduce the newcomers, was set up to fail this season.

Whatever happens Sunday and for the rest of the year, Frazier should ultimately be judged by how much he improves on the job in his second season, and how quickly he finds and establishes a franchise quarterback.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I agree with this assessment. We have been in every game with three tough teams. New coach, new o coordinator, new qb ... we're not doing that bad and I believe we will get better. Not giving up yet. Skol.

How did we win at the end of last season with Webb?
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Somebody forgot to send Mike Tomlin that memo.

10-6 his 1st year

12-4 his 2nd year plus a SB win.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Bill Belichick went 6-10 his first year, didn't post a winning record until his fourth season, and didn't win a Super Bowl title until his seventh
    Is Souhan trying to say Childress was better than Bellicheat & they got rid of him 2 years too soon?

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Somebody forgot to send Mike Tomlin that memo.

10-6 his 1st year

12-4 his 2nd year plus a SB win.
    Tomlin didn't replace a fired failure of a coach. His predecessor left of his own accord, still at the top of his game, and left a great team behind him.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Tomlin didn't replace a fired failure of a coach. His predecessor left of his own accord, still at the top of his game, and left a great team behind him.
    Tomlin inherited an 8-8 team & Frazier inherited a team that was playing in the NFCCG with a 12-4 record just 10 games earlier.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Tomlin inherited an 8-8 team & Frazier inherited a team that was playing in the NFCCG with a 12-4 record just 10 games earlier.
    Tomlin inherited a front office with one ring for the thumb and Frazier inherited one with an empty trophy case and no GM.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    And what was their record in those 10 games?

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    if you guys are gonna tote records and compare him to coaching legends... let's focus on a few other things... compared to other teams, I believe down there in Carolina they have a rookie QB and way less talent than we do... they gave the packers a run for their money and their offense seems to be more than competent with Cam running the show...

Frazier is 3-6 so far.. he's not a first year head coach for all intense and purposes... he hired a OC than has a horrible track record as a OC and play caller...

Trust me Frazier is no Belichek...

Our team has looked decent in spurts.. but the play calling, clock management blunders, lack of using Percy harvin, Peterson second half carries half of what they are in the first half... etc. etc.

I'm not saying fire the guy.. but I dont' think we should have hired him either... I like the guy... but it's not like he was this amazing coach with a track record as a solid defensive coordinator either... Our defense regressed under him each year...

This article is nothing more than an empty vote of confidence for a below average head coach, having the nerve to compare him to legendary head coaches with bad first years... Pathetic... we are underachieving as usual....