nzvike is offline Training Camp

Something to think about (QB/Draft related)

Hey, havent posted in 2 years. But I've had this one thought for 2 years, and todays peformance was the boiling point. I am writing it out

Think about this. (if you want to skip to the end, my whole point is why we didn’t draft Cutler or Leinart)

In the 2006 Draft we drafted Greenway.

Don't get me wrong, I love Greenway but I am not a fan of drafting outside linebackers that early. They are for 1 very hit or miss, college systems determine there output, 2 they are very easy to get late in drafts, via trades or just through Free agency as most teams hold like 10 of them. The other thing is most linebackers are situational players, and they also come out of the game an awful lot. For me, that is not a position you draft that early as they are not really game changers. Merriman is the only exception. If we were set, and had a core team I would be fine with it. But...

We just finished the previous season with an old QB who was just there to waste time until we found someone. We were always looking for a franchise QB in the 2006 draft, and found the right year as it had 3 total studs who all had no1 overall potential if the draft was another year. I don't understand how we didn’t spend every effort preparing for that draft, preparing to try and trade super high to get one of these QB's. Come pick 8 there were 2 left over! We were within 10 picks of getting a stud franchise QB!

Ever since this, I have seen Childeress as narrow minded. No one expected Leinart to fall that far, or Cutler. That was a situation where he needed to act on this, change his plan and get one of these guys. He must have had his eyes set on Jackson well before the thing started as we reached about 2 rounds for him, that says he was always going to get Jackson

Jackson was still very raw in college, he was stated a 2-3 year project at least (as we are all seeing now)!! Did Childeress Expect to go with Johnson for 2-3 years??? He would have mad if he did. Jackson right now is essentially learning how to play QB from starting, he should be learning from no2 and adjusting when starting.

Anyway, every time I watch Jackson, I just feel it should be Cutler. Cutler will become the best of that bunch by far. You can say it is our WR's fault (check out cutlers WRs if you have time).. a little bit is, but you put Harrison out there even he will look bad as a WR runs his route on a foundation of trust with the QB, there is no way our WRs can trust a QB who does star jumps in the pocket.

To conclude. As soon as we passed on those 2 QB's when they fell that late, I saw this 'gap' year in the vikings just around the corner. QB is not a position you mess with, we messed it up in 06. Think about what we must have been thinking future wise after the 2006 draft, I have ever since then and to me it all doesn’t make sense.

Now for my personal opnion on Jackson. I have never rated T-JaX one bit, from day one. From day one I thought Kordell Stewart. He will play out this season, we will draft a WR or DT. He will start another season and struggle again, and then we will be looking at QB options once again. Ok we aren’t a bad team, so we will never have top 5 picks. So we will be relying big time in 2 years time for another star QB draft to come along. To me, the 2006 one was very unique, we missed out and will pay for a long time.

Come Home Davey Dixon, The All Blacks need you

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Something to think about (QB/Draft related)

To early to be talking draft.........

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"nzvike" wrote:
    Hey, havent posted in 2 years. But I've had this one thought for 2 years, and todays peformance was the boiling point. I am writing it out

Think about this. (if you want to skip to the end, my whole point is why we didn’t draft Cutler or Leinart)

In the 2006 Draft we drafted Greenway.

Don't get me wrong, I love Greenway but I am not a fan of drafting outside linebackers that early. They are for 1 very hit or miss, college systems determine there output, 2 they are very easy to get late in drafts, via trades or just through Free agency as most teams hold like 10 of them. The other thing is most linebackers are situational players, and they also come out of the game an awful lot. For me, that is not a position you draft that early as they are not really game changers. Merriman is the only exception. If we were set, and had a core team I would be fine with it. But...

We just finished the previous season with an old QB who was just there to waste time until we found someone. We were always looking for a franchise QB in the 2006 draft, and found the right year as it had 3 total studs who all had no1 overall potential if the draft was another year. I don't understand how we didn’t spend every effort preparing for that draft, preparing to try and trade super high to get one of these QB's. Come pick 8 there were 2 left over! We were within 10 picks of getting a stud franchise QB!

Ever since this, I have seen Childeress as narrow minded. No one expected Leinart to fall that far, or Cutler. That was a situation where he needed to act on this, change his plan and get one of these guys. He must have had his eyes set on Jackson well before the thing started as we reached about 2 rounds for him, that says he was always going to get Jackson

Jackson was still very raw in college, he was stated a 2-3 year project at least (as we are all seeing now)!! Did Childeress Expect to go with Johnson for 2-3 years??? He would have mad if he did. Jackson right now is essentially learning how to play QB from starting, he should be learning from no2 and adjusting when starting.

Anyway, every time I watch Jackson, I just feel it should be Cutler. Cutler will become the best of that bunch by far. You can say it is our WR's fault (check out cutlers WRs if you have time).. a little bit is, but you put Harrison out there even he will look bad as a WR runs his route on a foundation of trust with the QB, there is no way our WRs can trust a QB who does star jumps in the pocket.

To conclude. As soon as we passed on those 2 QB's when they fell that late, I saw this 'gap' year in the vikings just around the corner. QB is not a position you mess with, we messed it up in 06. Think about what we must have been thinking future wise after the 2006 draft, I have ever since then and to me it all doesn’t make sense.

Now for my personal opnion on Jackson. I have never rated T-JaX one bit, from day one. From day one I thought Kordell Stewart. He will play out this season, we will draft a WR or DT. He will start another season and struggle again, and then we will be looking at QB options once again. Ok we aren’t a bad team, so we will never have top 5 picks. So we will be relying big time in 2 years time for another star QB draft to come along. To me, the 2006 one was very unique, we missed out and will pay for a long time.
    Only flaw in your argument is that you aren't taking into account how the whole draft unfolded.......

Key is we target 2 QB's before we even got to Jackson

a.
    Tried to move up for Cutler.
    Cost to much
    b.
    Targeted Clemens,
    OOPS, NYJ took him.
    c.
    We still needed a QB.

Here is something I've posted on here several tims just in case you missed it.

Of course we forget all about how the draft unfolded and why we picked TJ when we did.

Here is how they were ranked and were they went.

Quarterbacks
    1. Matt Leinart (USC) 10. Arizona

2. Vince Young (Texas) 3. Tennessee
    3. Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) 11. Denver (from St. Louis)
    4. Kellen Clemens (Oregon) (49) N.Y. Jets (from Dallas)
    5. Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City
    6. Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
    7. Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
    8. Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted
    9. Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State) 32. (64) Minnesota (from Pittsburgh)
    10. Michael Robinson* (Penn State) (100) San Francisco
    11. Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M) (193) Cincinnati
    12. Darrell Hackney (UAB) Not Drafted
    13. Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo) (194) Tampa Bay (from New York Giants)
    14,. Travis Lulay (Montana State) Not Drafted
    15. Paul Pinegar (Fresno State) Not Drafted
    16. Brett Basanez (Northwestern) Not Drafted
    17. D.J. Shockley (Georgia) (223) Atlanta
    18. Erik Meyer (Eastern Washington) Not Drafted
    19. Josh Betts (Miami of Ohio) Not Drafted
    20. Brad Smith* (Missouri) (103) New York Jets
    Ingle Martin, QB Furman Not Ranked (148) Green Bay (from Atlanta)

If memory servers we:

a.
    Tried to move up for Cutler.
    Cost to much
    b.
    Targeted Clemens,
    OOPS, NYJ took him.
    c.
    We still needed a QB.

Who then fit the system the best?

Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City

Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
    Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
    Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted

Come on.
    Gimme a break.
    Was he really that big of a reach considering how it all played out?

As for saving face, again, because of the scenario and how it all went down, I don't think anyone is saving face by not selecting a Franchise QB (Quinn) if he falls to us at 7.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    To early to be talking draft.........
    Never to early to be thinking draft.
    ;D

Seriously though, if it was too early to evaluate collegiate talent, we wouldn't have the scouts our watching games/tape in an effort to find guys that will fit the scheme/fill holes.

I bet they are out there right now watching every damn RT and LT as well as QB's, WR's and possibly a long snapper.
    (Can't believe V hasn't pinged on Loeffler yet)
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg